Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/188/150 Female 66
BF:39
Progress: 16%
Talking Many Thanks!

I have been lurking here for a long time. I think I posted once in another forum about a medication I take - which is how I came upon this site. Anyway...I gained 40 lbs as a result of the drugs I take for bipolar disorder - which, yes, you guessed it, make you crave food - especially carbs.

I have tried slim fast, kashi bars & shakes, eating 1000 calories a day - and have lost 10 pounds in 2 years. Mostly I just stick at 184 lbs. I even went thru a hospital program and followed their advice for 3 months - and didn't even lose an ounce! (I cried to the nutritionist that day). The words ringing in my head from the nutritionist were "you must really be affected by carbs - cut them out". That was last summer.

Anyway, I started induction on New Year's Day. Today I bought the ketostix and registered that I am in ketosis. I also weighed in 3 pounds less. I am on the fence right now...I am so happy, and yet so afraid this is going to be like everything else, and not continue to work. I have seen in the past week that it really isn't hard to adapt my lifestyle to this. My husband changed his cooking for me. I know I can stay committed - but do you think Atkins will stay committed to me?

Does anyone know what I mean?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 17:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Meigg!

If people stick with the program and avoid the obvious stallers like the low carb bars, candies and cookies, most are successful. Patience and persistance are the keys to success. I tried low carb several years ago and lost 30 lbs in quick order, but then stalled for a few weeks. I quit because I was thinking as you are that it was too good to be true and had quit working on me not knowing that it's perfectly normal to hit stalls and plateaus and those must simply be ridden out.
I've been low carbing now for going on 2 years and have lost 75 lbs. It hasn't been quick and I've had my share of stalls and gains as well as losses, but the scale continues to move in the general downward direction.
Read the book (two or three times if you have to) and feel free to ask all the questions you want here. Someone is usually pretty quick to answer and you'll probably get a range of opinions and options to try. Also try to read the "stickies" at the top of threads; these contain a lot of the most frequently asked questions and answers and are full of useful information.
Oh...one more thing...I'd really like to encourage you to start a journal. These are useful for logging your daily menus and also so that others can visit you and offer advice and encouragement. It also helps if you do hit a stall to be able to go back over your menus to see if you can spot the problem.
I wish you good success!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/188/150 Female 66
BF:39
Progress: 16%
Default Thanks!

You are so kind to reply. I will keep with it. I have started a food diary on fitday. It really helps to isolate the hidden carbs! I am constantly looking at the Atkins site. Do you think I should buy the book in addition to it? Are any other books that you think I should look into - or other things I should know? I want to make sure I am fully armed!

Thanks again, and I will stay with it!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 20:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you're going to follow the Atkins plan, it would be a good idea to also buy the book. The website can give you basic information on the 4 phases, but you should really have the detailed information that the book provides. If you get the paperback version, it shouldn't be more than 7 or 8 bucks and get the newest edition possible.
It might also help to read a couple of other low carb books; Protein Power is excellent in that they give clear, understandable explanations for what goes on inside our bodies both when we low carb and when we don't. It's well worth getting or at least borrowing from the library. The more you understand about low carbing and how it works, the more successful you will be at it.
A couple of low carb cookbooks are always a nice addition to your cookbook collection. They'll give you some great ideas for variety and might also get you thinking about how you can make some of your favorite recipes low carb also. If you can't find or don't want to buy the cookbooks, the recipes forum here has a lot of very good recipes too. Variety is important to helping you stay on track and avoid binging on old comfort foods when you get bored with only eating meat and salads.
It sounds like you're off to a good start...stick with it!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I started Atkins in mid-March 2002 and have lost 61 lbs. When I began, I lost 15 lbs in the first week, but gained most of that back until my body was ready to drop it again. Spurts and stops characterizes the way losing has gone for me - until recently. In the past couple of months, I have lost a pound or two each week, pretty regularly. I, too, fear the stalls. But, even stalled, I'm healthier on the diet than off.