Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 19:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Soy Milk???

I was just wondering if anyone uses soy milk in place of reg milk? I buy the kind w/o sugar (you have to read the labels a lot of them, even the plain, have added sugar). The brand I use says it has 4g carb and 3g fiber, so according to Atkins if you subtract the fiber that leaves only 1g effective carb per 8oz.

Also does anyone know of a good LC hot cereal? It's so cold this winter and I really miss my oatmeal in the morning.

Thx,
Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 20:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Lots of people here use soy milk. Do be careful and make sure the fiber hasn't ALREADY been deducted from the total carb count -- plain soy milk is usually between 4 and 6g carb per 1 Cup serving (8 fl oz/250mL).

One way of checking is to plug the (per serving) Calories, Fat, Protein and Total Carb grams into the Hidden Carb inspector (we call it the Carbulator). See the orange menu bar above? Click on Tools, then Hidden Carb Inspector.

There are lots of posts here ALREADY, in the LC Products forum, about different kinds of LC Hot Cereal products, and even some recipes in the LC Kitchen forum. You might want to try out the spiffy SEARCH feature as well (see the little globe on the upper right of your screen) or even just browse the titles right in the forums -- there's some great reading from the combined experience and opinions of hundreds of LCers for at least the last 2 years' in here.

Enjoy!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 21:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Thx Judi,

I put it through the hidden carb thing and it comes out to about 4g per cup. I did think it was weird that the carton said 4g carb, 3g fiber, 2g sugar. That should have tipped me off that they had already subtracted the fiber and rounded. Still it's better than regular milk! My DH likes his milk with dinner so he went to the store to get soy milk because he heard it was low in carbs but he couldn't find any w/o some kind of sugar added. This one just has filtered water, whole organic soybeans. The important thing is he likes it!

I've been reading a lot about hot cereals here, you're right there is a lot of info on these boards. I even checked out the web sites that review LC products. I'm not sure if I'm more confused. Guess I'll just have to try some out for myself! Thx again!