Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 23:30

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Weekly grocery bill?

Hey yah!

Just wanted to take a quick poll...

1. How much do you spend on groceries per week?

2. And how many people do you feed (Ha! how many people in your family?)

3. What plan are you on (AD, shakes, etc...)?

4. How many of the people you feed are on your plan? Or how many are "normal-all foods" eaters?

Thank you!

M-
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 07:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

1. $100.00 to $150.00 a week

2. Fluctuates. Usually dh, myself & our 2 teen age sons (who can really pack it in!). Often a friend or two (also teen age boys), one girlfriend on occaision, and often our 2 college-attending daughters.

3 & 4. DH and myself are on Atkins. Everyone else eats what they want. (Since they don't like to cook, I often tell them that what they want for dinner is lc!) Actually, cooking for them is not that big of a deal. I cook legal meals, and they add something they like. If I make meatballs (using parm cheese instead of bread crumbs) I'll make spaghetti for them.

BTW- my food bill has not changed much from before!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 07:38

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I usually spend about $150 per week at the grocery store.

There are three of us in the household, myself, DH and DD (11 YO). BUT... we also have 2 dogs and 9 cats and we feed local wild birds... so in that grocery spending is large bags of cat and dog food and bags of bird seed.

I am the only one who is eating low carb. The rest eat more traditionally. However, their meals are based on my eating... I just add a carby side dish for them.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 08:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

About $150 every two weeks . I have a family of four..DH and two daughters age 7 and 8. DH and I eat low carb, the two girls eat lower carb. This also includes household items such as laundry detergent, soaps, cleaners, personal hygiene items (it's amazing how much shampoo two girls can go through!), etc..so it's not all food.
To try and cut costs, I always shop the sales and base my menus on what's on sale when I do my shopping. For instance, this week I can get pork steak/roast and ground chuck for 99 cents a pound and a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters for $2.50.
I will also shop more than one store if the prices are good enough to warrant a second trip. For instance, I can get butter for $1.29 a pound at Aldis and cheese is usually much less expensive there as well, so I'll make an extra trip to get some things from there instead of paying $3.50 a pound at the other stores.
Overall, I think it's been a trade off as far as my grocery bill goes; it's not really that much higher. Yes, I buy more meats and cheeses, but I'm also buying less junk food and highly processed/convenience foods.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 10:04

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Stats

I spend about $150 per week for two people (also feed 2 dogs but that in not included in this total).

I eat LC, my partner does not.

I follow the Atkins plan, and do not consume shakes or bars etc. I do take supplements (also not included in the $$ total) however.

Basically, I spend whatever I want to eat well and stay LC. I don't spend money on drinking any longer or on fast food binges, so if I spend extra $$ on great cuts of meat or fish or cheese, Im happy.

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: Weekly grocery bill?

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Melis

$150 or more per week.

Quote:

4 in my family, plus weekly guests of approximately 10 people.

Quote:

All four of the family members are on Atkins, though my daughter is not strictly following the plan. The guests have adapted. My husband uses shakes and food bars as meals at work; the rest of us don't use them much at all. I had a quarter-bar as a treat Christmas Eve and that's the first time in weeks or months.

Last edited by freydis : Thu, Dec-26-02 at 12:34.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 13:12

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there......

My food bill runs around $50-75 a week and I'm only feeding myself. I do allow myself the best of everything as I believe that high quality fuel is needed to support a high quality body.

I follow the Atkins version of LCing and I use 2-3 protein shakes a day to keep my level high enough to support the weight lifting I've been doing for the past year.

Marlaine
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 13:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

M, to answer your questions:

1) 70-90$ a week (but that includes food for 3 cats )
2) 2 Humans, 3 cats
3) One of us is doing BFL the other Protein Power
4) There's just the two of us.

Grocery bill hasn't changed much over the years with the possible exception that we spend less money on booze now - no more beer, very little wine and no hard liquor. We've also noticed that we eat everything we buy - very little gets thrown out on garbage day and very little is uneaten.

HTH
Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 15:17

Plan: MEAT AND LOTS OF GREEN VE
Stats: 292.7/280/180 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 11%

Really can't put a $$ figure on my bill...I hit the meat counter at my grocery first because they mark down meat when it's three days from display expiration. Today I got 4 2inch thick t-bones and
4 filets for about $12...can't quibble about that!
I got 4 bags of jumbo shrimp and a ton of veggies...the shrimp were on sale $5.99 lb...they and the steaks went into the freezer where I always have several roasts, salmon etc...I usually don't make a scheduled trip to the grocery...just run in and pick up the sale goodies...

Just me to feed plus my 13 yr old Wiener dog Skeeter...he's the one with the big food bill...he eats turkey bologna for breakfast, string cheese for lunch, and a can of Little Champions by Pedigree for supper...

GAP
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 16:17

Plan: Atkins 9/29/02 Somersize 4/4/03
Stats: 26/22/10
BF:57%/46%/25%
Progress: 25%

Before reading this thread I thought I spent too much on groceries, but now I see that it's normal. I spend anywhere from $50-80 a week. This is much more than what I use to spend at the store, but I'm sure I spent a lot more on food with all the spur of the moment spending I'd do on vending machine snacks at work, fast food (and lots of it), and candy.

There are two people in my household, myself and my son (18 months), so I'm the only one doing Atkins. My weekly food bill does include snacks and food for my baby boy.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 23:05
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 260/230/160 Female 5 ft.  6 in.
BF:
Progress: 30%

135.00 to 175. 00 a week
These totals alo include shampoo, and basic health and beauty products as well as cleaning products.

There are 3 adults living here and every weekend (thurs. thru Sun. nite) add another adult and a 2 year old (handsome grandson)

I am on adkins for health reasons and use very few shakes and no protein bars.

4. How many of the people you feed are on your plan? Or how many are "normal-all foods" eaters?

Though I basically cook LC everyone else eats differently. I have one that won't eat red meat of any kind or any fish. Will eat some chicken or turkey but mostly veggies and likes carby snacks.
One eat anything I cook since they do not cook.
One is pregnant and eats a lot of grains and cereals, since she says meat of any kind and dairy upsets her stomach.
The 2 year old will eat anything grandma cooks so he is easy.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 23:45

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thank you, thank you.... for all the responses.....

I am planning a budget for 2003 and trying to see what "should be " in the food/grocery column!! This really helps....

another question; How often are you going out to eat? ANd what are you paying per "outing", which includes how many of you?

Sorry, for all the questions... but it is helpful.

Take care,

M-
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 07:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

We go out to eat as a family about once every 2 weeks and it runs about $25.00 for four of us. OTOH...I also will get something from the salad bar at the local grocery a couple of times a week for lunch at about $3.00 per visit.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 07:40

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I usually spend about $150 , I feed 5 and i'm the only one doing LC.

I make one dinner but add potatoes or rice for the rest of them.

I'm doing Atkins, so far it works so I'm sticking to it.

Kathy
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 08:42

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30

We actually don't eat out as a family too often on a consistent basis... maybe once in a month. Generally it is about $60 to $80 for a good dinner for the three of us. We have lunch out when shopping sometimes - which runs about $40 for the three of us.