Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 03:49

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Portion Size

Interesting article! http://www.nutrio.com/servlet/nutri...&cat=4&rec=3228
I learned a lot from this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 10:53

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

I learned a lot, too, thanks for sharing it.

If only they didn't reference the infamous food pyramid.

Flamingo
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 12:38

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

The one good thing about LCing - and for me doing the Atkins OWL plan pretty much - is that I don't worry too much about portion control. I eat to ease my hunger and when I feel pleasantly full, I stop. Of course, this is filling up on protein, veggies and greens mostly. So far it is working...down 3lbs since Monday and doing OWL not Induction. I love the fact that I can have that big, juicy steak and a large salad and be full and satisfied...unlike those days when I ate a tiny salad with no fat and hungry one hour later!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

That was the key -- finally! -- for me...portions, not the foods themselves. I found out what real hunger feels like and ate to satisfy it.

Sometimes I don't get in three meals and a snack, sometimes not even the calories I need (which I'm working on ) but I realize now how much MORE I was eating because I was "allowed" to.

Set myself up for gains, not losses. Thanks for the info.

#5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 02:58

BF:

I have been trying to stay at Induction since last June when I started Atkins. I lost about 15 pounds in the first couple of months, then have been having so much trouble since then. Even on strict Induction my appetite was pretty big all the time and I ate huge portions. I wonder if I need to cut out my morning coffee and my Diet Cokes. Hmmmmm.....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 05:30

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
I wonder if I need to cut out my morning coffee and my Diet Cokes.

That would be my next thing to cut out, sorry to say.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 10:09

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Interesting...

Thanks for bringing this article to our attention, Sandy...

...I was thinking about this very subject last night while on my walk (isn't this great weatehr we're having?)...about how my portions are so much closer to what I think they should be now that I'm fully on the LC horse again. Of course, I'm at that stage right now where my appetite is hardly there and I have to force myself to eat, but when I think back on the portions I used to eat...lordy mercy. A typical plate of food for me was overflowing. I always ate seconds and I supersized everything. Basically, I did eveything that this article says is wrong.

In LCing I do allow myself whatever I want in terms of quanitity. However, I find that my desire for more than is needed as fuel is no longer appealing to me. In fact, I get a weird sort of personal satisfaction in keeping portions smaller. It gives me power over the food, and the best part...LEFT OVERS for my next meals!

P.S. I also think you should explore limiting the Diet Coke intake and see if that helps get things moving for you again. It's worth a try...

Thanks again!

Donald
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 10:43
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Ditto, Donald...

I totally relate to the power of the food by enjoying smaller portions now. Although it took a personal crisis for me to lose my appetite recently, I have done a great deal of soul searching. I found that in my darkest moments, when I would normally self medicate with food, my best comfort friend was no longer comforting. It didn't even appeal to me...

Now, I have to remind myself to eat something before I leave the house, or else if I feel real hunger, I will eat something until the hunger is satisfied. I suppose my emotional hunger is waiting to be filled by something else, and I've realized that food was never meant for this.

Deep, huh?

Hey...congrats on the 100th pound. Amazing job!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Oh, Sandy, I'm breaking out in a cold sweat. Just the mere though of giving up my morning coffee is making me hyperventilate.
asugar
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 18:08
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Sandylee
Why don't you trying drinking your morning coffee within 15 minutes and limiting your diet sodas to meals. Those are Heller suggestions to cut cravings.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 03:02

BF:

Donald, You are doing phenomonally well!!! I have never gotten to the appetite supression stage. I hope I get to the point where I feel like eating small portions too.

Flamingo, Yvonne, Donna, Talon, Asugar, I am glad you liked the article

Zuleika,
I checked this morning. It takes me about half an hour to drink my 4 cups of coffee. I could cut it down to 15 minutes. I could also not drink Diet Coke as a reward during the day, but as a beverage with meals. Thanks for the tips.

Sandy