Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 12:12

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Exclamation Body Burns Some Fats Better After Exercise

Body Burns Some Fats Better After Exercise
Thu Nov 28, By Anne Harding

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A workout can help burn the fat you eat, and keep it from adhering to your hips, even hours after you've left the gym, the results of a small new study suggest.

But this doesn't work for every type of fat, the researchers found; while previous exercise helped people burn monounsaturated fat from a subsequent meal, it had no effect on how the body used saturated fat. Monounsaturated fat is found in plant foods like olive oil, while saturated fats come mainly from animal foods.

The study "again demonstrates that all fats aren't created equal, and there are differences in metabolism and, from other studies, health outcomes," Dr. Dale Schoeller of the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Department of Nutritional Sciences, one of the study's authors, told Reuters Health. The findings are published in the latest issue of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.

To investigate whether people might process fat from a meal differently after they had exercised, Schoeller and his colleagues conducted a study of seven healthy, moderately active women whose average age was 26. The women each underwent three different 2-day tests. In one, women stuck to scheduled sleep and meal times. In the second and third visits, the sleep and meal schedules were the same, but the women exercised lightly or heavily on a special stationary bike for 2 hours. They were also given a snack the night before to compensate for the calories used when they exercised the following day.

A half hour after they finished exercising or resting, at 10:30 AM, the women were given meals containing oleate, a monounsaturated fat, and palmitate, a saturated fat. Then the researchers collected breath samples hourly up until 10 PM to measure how the women's bodies were using the fat.

After the heavy exercise, the women oxidized, or burned, significantly more oleate than after light exercise or rest. And a light workout burned more oleate after a meal than resting did. But metabolism of the saturated fat was the same whether or not the women exercised.

When fat is burned, it doesn't have the chance to be stored in the body as excess fat tissue. Studies in animals, Schoeller noted, have shown that the body uses monounsaturated fats differently than saturated fats after semi-starvation or fasting. But this is the first research, he believes, that shows differences in post-exercise fat metabolism after a meal.

The findings offer "one more reason to stay away from saturated fats," he noted, which are more readily stored by the body as excess pounds. So people hoping to stay at a healthy weight, he adds, should substitute monounsaturated fats for saturated fats and, of course, exercise.

SOURCE: Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2002;34:1757-1765.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 18:01

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%

Wow, what an interesting article. I'm still new to Atkins, and have been following the plan well, but I have had a slight naggy thought about the saturated fats (namely from bacon or sausage). As I get better accustomed to this diet, I think I would seriously consider eating my meats as lean as possible, trying to eat more fish, and use olive oil in place of some of the saturated fats.

But right now it's not important enough. Following the plan is first on the agenda. Perhaps after a few months though, I will be readier for a healthier version.

Thanks for a good article.