Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 06:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/165/145
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Throw away the scale! My Story

I lost about 60 pounds going on an extreme diet (eating very little + exercise) I was stalled from that, plus I was losing alot of muscle mass.

So i'm doing the LC thing now. I just finished week 3 w/o any cheats. At the end of three weeks i was VERY disappointed, I didn't lose that much weight at all, maybe 8 pounds or so. On my extreme diet, i could lose 10 pounds in a week or 2.

However, one day I noticed the results on me, and it was awesome, I've lost alot of my gut, which was my problem area. I don't know how many inches i've lost, but the results are way better than the starvation diet.

What I need to learn, and hope other people can too. Is to condition ourselves into thinking loosing a pound or 2 in a week is a normal thing, and a healthy thing, instead of the instant results. And not to put that much stock into the scale (my weight can fluctuate anywhere from 0-10 pounds in a day) but more in the inches.

P.S The only cheat I've done, is cut down on my exercise about 70% than I used to do. But after seeing the results, it makes me want to get into my rhythm again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 09:25

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Thumbs up Good for you!

I applaud your adjustment to health! I don't like the idea of dieting at all, myself. Like many people here I prefer to think of it as my new way of eating, that happens to cause a loss of unnecessary fat. Congrats on your loss and I hope you continue to eat healthfully and stay happy. Personally, I hide my scale during the week and only weigh on Sundays (for the sake of records). Moreover, I have a body fat scale and would be much happier to see reduction in that percentage than in weight.

Anyway, congrats again and I hope you continue with this good attitude and never go back to that terrible low cal diet again.

Happy low carbing!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 09:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi and welcome!

<b>Good for you</b> for realizing this now. You've probably already at least partially messed up your metabolism; there's no reason to punish your body. FWIW, I've done the same thing in the past. I'm sure many of us have.

Keep in mind that on your extreme diet, you were probably neglecting to supply your body with protein that it needed, so allow some time to 'heal' your body, and allow it to put protein to good use. Many people (women especially) who've been dieting and are chronically low in protein intake will find that after LCing, they could even *gain* weight; and this is because your body is using that protein to rebuild muscle mass and other tissues that it had to burn while you were starving it.

..so respect your body, give it what it needs, and be patient. It will reward you with more than just weight loss.

See you 'round the forum!