Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 17:36

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Thumbs up Positive report on LC from the Today show

The Today show on NBC had a positive report on LC this morning.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/836726.asp?0dm=V11LH
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 17:53

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking another low carb study

Hi there, bike2work! You must be in good shape.

There have been countless studies of Atkins, but the establishment hates to admit they could be wrong.

The newest study was presented yesterday at the annual meeting of the american heart association.

Äfter six months, the people on the Atkins diet had lost 31 lbs, compared to 20 lbs. on the low fat, aha diet.

Total cholesterol fell slightly in both groups. However, those on the Atkins diet had an 11 per cent increase in HDL, and a 49 percent drop in Triglycerides.

On the AHA, low fat diet, HdL was unchanged and the triglycerides dropped 22 per cent.(The Toronto Star)

What bothers me, though, is the insistance that Atkins is meat and fat only. Really, who do you know who eats as many vegetables as we do? I eat tons more veg than I used to when I would fill up on junk. Bye for now, Nancy

#3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 20:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

On the evening news here (ABC) the cholesterol information was reported, along with the usual "Atkins is very controversial," and finishing with, but experts still warn that there are no studies on whether Atkins dieters keep the weight off in the long run.

This is the attitude that angers me. I've never heard that said about low fat, or "balanced," USDA-pyramid-style diets. I can understand the comment that the long-term HEALTH effects of Atkins have not been studied; that's one thing. But whether or not people keep the weight off for X number of years seems to me to be a red herring.

Glad to know it was on the Today Show. I never get up that early
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 14:32

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally posted by HLFAN
Hi there, bike2work! You must be in good shape.

I am in excellent shape! Thanks for noticing! I am very strong and muscular, I have incredible endurance in extended athletic events, and my blood pressure is low. Sadly, no one can tell because I carry so much excess fat, which I have a terrible time losing. I think people look at me and assume I just sit all day. But when I climb the six staircases to my cubicle with my colleagues they're all out of breath and I'm fine. (Just had to vent for a moment. Thanks for listening.)
Quote:

Äfter six months, the people on the Atkins diet had lost 31 lbs, compared to 20 lbs. on the low fat, aha diet.

I wish they reported fat loss. I'd be willing to bet the low-carbers lost a greater percentage of fat.
Quote:
What bothers me, though, is the insistance that Atkins is meat and fat only. Really, who do you know who eats as many vegetables as we do? I eat tons more veg than I used to when I would fill up on junk. Bye for now, Nancy

Me too. I eat about 4 cups of leafy greens a day, not to mention the other low-carb veggies. These thin people I work with who think they're so healthy because they don't put mayo on their sandwiches load up on French fries, desserts, and candy.

I'm glad to hear of the study you cited.