Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 09:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/271/170
BF:
Progress: 4%
Post started atkins 17th anyone check this out for me plz

hi people
well i have just started atkins for the umpteenth time
can never seem to get the carbs calories and fat right
did budy up with someone before and lost 10 kilos dont ask me how cause i have no idea but i did lose but ended up with kidney infection my own fault for not drinking the water so this time around im drinking as much as i canwithout drowning lol..

ive been trying to work out the combination of what we are supposed to have... my weight in pounds i think is 276lb
or 125kilos... yuk i know
so do i times that by 10 to get how many calories im supposed to have ????
yesterday i pigged out all day and i had 2155 calories 162 fat 19 carbs and 152 protien or so it said in FITDAY

today i had 1537 in calories 119 in fat 27 in carbs and 94 in protien again in fitday..
my main sorce of food seems to be im eating meat as in rissoles or chicken, i have beens cooked in butter also spinach and cabbage, have stawberries and cream , and eggs for breakfast...

can anyone enlighten me any on this please
i have read the book twice actually and still it dont sink in sorry...
i did read somewere that it was supposed to be 70% fat
50% carbs and 25% protien ..
so how do you work that out ???
70% fat seems like a lot does that mean olive oil or fat as in butter sorry to be a pain but i have tried this now for over a year on and off an cant seem to get it right just need a little help and shove in the right direction
Im female frrom Mandurah WEstern Australia looking for any help
icq 8851137 thanks ...
jacqui
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 09:51

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, toolovely...

I don't recall anything in Atkins about calories or fat, especially in induction.

The main thing right now is carbs. Keeping them below 30 grams a day (or lower) until you finish induction (two weeks). You can stay in induction longer if you would like, if it is working for you and you feel okay.

Make sure you get your vitamins, especially potassium (leg cramps) and calcium (it leaches out at first).

Drink plenty of water.

I am just starting locarb again also. This is an example of what I have when I am doing induction. (I don't go in for any of the bars, drinks etc.).

Breakfast - coffee with cream and Sweet/low, eggs, breakfast meat

Lunch - meat (I really love chicken cooked in garlic, butter and herbs, and then when it is done, I put Miracle Whip and shredded cheese in the buttery liquid and mix it up and then pour it over the chicken - mmm delish!), broccoli or spinach with butter and if I want more, a salad.

Dinner - same as lunch

I don't snack. I don't get cravings (after the first three days), and I don't get hungry.

If I am feeling deprived (PMS), then I add in some nuts (the kind with the shells, this is a good time of year for those) and cheese.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 09:53

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:

I just reinducted myself. My first attempt on 4/6/02 had allowed me to lose 28 lbs over 7 month period. Due to illness and stresses I went off the plan for almost 2 weeks. Luckily I only gained 1 lb during this ordeal but eating carbs is not my life any longer so it was time to get back on the wagon.

As for calories - although Atkins does not require people to count calories I still think that one should. As for ratios, I always kept 70/5/25 and lost like a turtle. I read on many websites that offer information that the grams are more important than the percentages thus I make sure that I get at least 90 grams of protein a day (80-110), that I stay around 20 grams of carbs (carbs less fiber) and make sure that fat is up there - 100 grams or more. As for calories, I try never to go over 1700 (I am hypothyroid and must watch calories going forward). I was moderately active and was able to lose at this rate. Now that I am plagued with fatigue, exercising is a struggle so I have opted eat calories between 1500-1600 in hopes that I start losing. This by no means means starvation because I am constantly eating but eat 4-5 smaller meals compared to the 3 meals that most eat.

This WOE is wonderful and everyone seems to find what works best for them. It took me many months after induction to figure what works for me. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi Jacqui,

I don't count calories much because I'm familiar with the plan now, and I rarely worry about the percentages. I also used fitday.com in the beginning to track my foods and this gave me a real good idea of what was ok and what was really high. I estimate pretty well after that. You sound like you're doing that and are keeping a good eye on it.

The biggest thing that I can suggest at the beginning is that you EAT and be satisfied with your foods and portions while you're working this out. Don't worry if you over-do on some lettuce or a little too much butter in the pan...just keep the carbs under 20 gms per day for at least two weeks. This will get your body doing the fat burning while you work on what your portions and numbers should be.

Another thought, maybe spread out your foods through the day...maybe 4 or 5 smaller meals or snacks. All with water... Your calories should probably be around 2000, not too much above or below...and the beans are probably not a good idea on induction...unless they're green beans!

Drink WATER, WATER, WATER...and include some light exercise like walking 20 minutes per day or something manageable. Your metabolism will get into the habit of processing a bit faster.

The Atkins plan was difficult for me the first time around, now it is the simplest thing. It really does take a good effort to stick with it...tune in here for all the answers to your questions because this is the place that made the difference for me. Every time I got frustrated and wanted to throw in the towel, one of the pros wrote in on what I was doing wrong and one of the cheerleaders wrote in about sticking with it!

You can do this...it's easy once you get on track. Keep posting in...

#5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 23:02

BF:
Post so great to have replies

wow im flabergasted so many replies
thank you so much it helps like you said to get some ideas and at least know that there are others out there helping and with oodles of information.. thanks again girls..

Well this morning i weighed in and according to my scales im down from 126kilo to 123 not sure what that is in pounds have to get out the ole calculator. but at least im losing slowly but woohoo the whoosh fairy must have come

Funny on saying that when i logged onto my computer yesterday there was this ( and dont laugh ) this little fairy that flew up my screeen .. i wondered were it came from still got no idea she had little yellow wings?? anything to do with this website ???
or am i going stoopid lolololol

as for the calories and carb thing i have been above the 2000 calories seems awefully high when on a high carb you have to eat only 800 to lose weight makes you feel like a real pig lol

i still dont quite understand the fit day as far as percentages go but im filling it in best i can
i try to eat avocado and use more butter than i ever dared to before and then keep the vegies down, must be doing something right woohoo i feel great seeing the scales go down though.
what vitamins do you all take and were from plz

glad to hear that you all know about the leg cramps well not really but its good to know that someone else has them as well as me, i have been trying potasium i get restless leg syndrome that drives me mad. and i get heart burn a lot so have to watch a tit what i eat but they say that willsort itself out sooner or later s the system sorts itself out. fingers x...
Its so great to have support in here i think its great. i used to go to the american online support Atkinsfriends.com but i had to get up so early to catch them and they talk about stuff we dont even get here which made it hard..
anyone from my side of the country western Australia ?
mind you i dont care were your from as long as your here like me for support. were kinda like a little group all on our own..
just wish Aussies would make more of an effort for the low carb people...
Well everyone thanks for answering and giving your opinion its so much appreciated ive been dying here trying to work out how to get this weight to move and i so like atkins just couldnt seem to get it right i was putting on more than taking off...when i gave up smoking about 8 years ago i weighed 85 kilos wow thats a long way to go.but alas with the help im sure getting in here well win this battle im sure. WAY TO GO LOW CARBERS
have a nice day everyone and hope to be able to speak to you all again sooner or later, gotta go shopping now and fill up on all the low carb goodies...
hugs to everyone..
jacqui
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 06:19

Plan: Atkins pre-maintenance
Stats: 206/164/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 69%
Default Re: so great to have replies

Quote:
Originally posted by toolovely
Funny on saying that when i logged onto my computer yesterday there was this ( and dont laugh ) this little fairy that flew up my screeen .. i wondered were it came from still got no idea she had little yellow wings?? anything to do with this website ???
or am i going stoopid lolololol

Me, too! She was on my screen yesterday, but not today. Loved it!

Ann at Howcross Castle
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 07:35

BF:
Default still hanging in there

hi girls well me again
sorry ididnt mention everyones name wheni answered but im having trouble getting around the site at present
once i get to know how to use it properly then ill say hi to everyone.
Today didnt get to eat that much we were running around all day
had 4 eggs for breakfast scrambled with 3 tbsl philidelphia cheese was quite nice actually
i also had a bottle of water.
lunch i didnt have as we were just running allover the place and had dramas at home.
for tea we had a bbq and i had steak and chop and a sausage naughty i forgot, plus i had some salmon and i mixed in it some cream cheese.mayo and cream was nice also added a smidgen of salsa wasnt bad
went shopping and got some goodies from Coles
Rosebud i found the Helmans and also the Golden Soy that one of the girls mentioned and also the Cardini
when i got to Coles there was such an Assortment i was surprised last time i shoped in there they werent all there.

today i bought a 1 ltr bottle for my water and ive drank that and a few more of my 750mls so im doing okay with my water side of it
today well ill have to go to fitday and work outwhat i had calories and carbs ect. gotta keep going chat soon
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 07:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I saw the angel, too! I'm so glad somebody else mentioned it. I thought maybe I was seeing things, especially since it didn't come back.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 08:52
Canuck Conundrum

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%
Default good start!

I think you will find strawberries or any fruit for that matter are not allowed on induction. Go to the Atkins site and get a list of allowed foods on Induction, or if you have the book it's in there.

Good luck!

Sam
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:10

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default The angel

The angel is the whoosh fairy and is very shy. Not everyone spots her.

But for the sake of science I sat in front of my computer screen with a butterfly net for thirty six hours waiting for her to flutter by.

Then out of the bottom left corner of the screen she scurried nothwards and I pounced.

I am afraid I cannnot tell you how I did it but I did catch it and here it is...................
Attached Images
File Type: gif flying.gif (9.6 KB, 16 views)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:13

Stats: 274/267/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default i started on the 17th too!

let's be buddies! email e at gailbuf~hotmail.com if you would like!

gail
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 17:08

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I've never counted calories or fat...the only thing i count is carbs...period..and i've lost 50lbs since april
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 18:00

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking my fairy

I love my fairy, she comes to me fairly often!!! Nancy
Attached Images
File Type: gif flying.gif (9.6 KB, 7 views)