Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 04:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/189/145 Female 70.5
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default slower this time

Hi all,
This is my second time around and I read an article that said you will only lose weight the first time around on atkins. I pretty much reached my goal last time, but fell off the wagon while I was building our house. I was just too tired to cook properly and ended up eating pizza and burgers alot. I hope this statement is not true. If anyone knows could you please let me know. Thanks and have a great day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 04:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile Not true!

Hi Brenda, welcome!

While you may find your weight loss a little slower this time, it will still happen. There are quite a few members here who are successfully losing the 2nd or 3rd time.

How about starting a journal here? It's a great way for others to offer you encouragement and support.

All the best.

Rosebud

Oops! I see you do have a journal... I'll pop in there to see how you are doing.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 07:20
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Welcome!!
I have also been down this road before....and like yourself, I gained it all back. One cheat lead to the next and VOILA...lol....here I am!!
This way of eating does work. It may take a little longer but it does work.

Have fun searching and reading the boards...

Cin
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 12:44

Plan: atkins (in a way)
Stats: 165/159/125
BF:
Progress: 15%

i did atkins like 3 years ago i think, and it worked for me well...now i'm doing it the second time and it's working well again...

that also happened to me, but in my case...i didn't actually reach my gaol weight yet, you know how some girls are when they are complimented with how much weight they have lost and then they go back to their old way of eating?well i'm one of those girls and it's sad because i gained everything back in less than a year...

so here i'am again trying to lose weight! i have lost 7lbs. since i started last oct.29...i stopped losing after my fourth day...but it doesn't stop me from doing the diet...some people from the forum were saying that sometimes you stop losing...and then after you start losing again...well i'm waiting on and watching the scale!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 16:32

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Dont feel to bad you arnt by your self ... I also after 8 months of loveing and enjoying this way of eating fell off the wagon after going on a 3 week vacation where I was served nothing but carbs and when I come home found it hard to get back on and so kinda eat and eat.. But this past week I have gotten back up and dusted my seat off and going full steam again.. Yes I did gain like 14 lbs back in 3 months.. So im giving my self 3 months to get it back down again... If it happens it happens if it dosent and comes off slower thats still fine.. I just love the way this lifestyle of eating makes me feel... I know it may take longer this time around to get going but I want give up.. And hope you dont either.. You can do it....Good luck..

Your friend Tammy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 17:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

Amen sister - this is not fair. This is also my second time around because i gained my weight back over the summer having too many carbs and too many "fun" drinks.

I am also struggling to get the weight off which is different from before. It came off so quickly the first time.

Does anyone know why this happens? Why is it so much more difficult the second time around and the first time it practically fell off?

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

I think it's b/c the second time around you're older. As we age, it gets harder and harder to lose weight. When I was younger, I could go on a diet and practically watch myself melt. Things sure are different now!
asugar
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 17:25
Contributing Member

I hear ya asugar, I hear ya.....

cin
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 17:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

I don't think that is the case because i started low carb for the first time in january 2002 and stopped May 2002 - gained half of the weight back over the summer and started up again this month. i don't think i aged that much so soon. ha ha
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Okay, Lisak, maybe you didn't age that much in almost a year, but by goofing off all summer, you sure ticked off the whoosh fairy. Don't feel bad, he's been ticked off at me plenty of times. How about you, Cin, are you on his s#%t list, too?
asugar
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 17:43
Contributing Member

Actually...I'm right at the top. I wonder if that fairy can be bribed!!

hehehee
cin
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 05:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/189/145 Female 70.5
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi There,
Thanks for all your replys, it sure makes me feel better to know that it will come off. I actually have a hard time eating these days. I know it's bad to eat too little but I am just not hungry. I am in major ketosis where before I was always in the lavender colour. I feel great, but I am worried about lowering my metabilizem. Does any one know how long you can starve yourself with out doing damage? thanks
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 07:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally posted by asugar
....., you sure ticked off the whoosh fairy. Don't feel bad, he's been ticked off at me plenty of times.

And I always thought the Woosh Fairy was female.....
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 07:45

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Bakkedbren,

just a little note. the darker the purple on your ketostix is not always the best... could mean you are not drinking enough water.. any color on your ketostix means your in ketosis and burning fat.. Plus you neeed to make sure you eat.. not being hungry is also a sign of being in ketosis.. if you dont eat enough food your body will start holding on to what you eat in fear it may starve. With this eating plan you need to make sure you keep them calories up to at least 10-20 times your body weight .....

Good luck
Tammy