Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:22
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 149/145/125
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default First day of induction....

Hello,

I have been all over the map this past year in terms of food plans: the zone, atkins, potatoes not prozac, macrobiotics, etc.. Haven't been able to hang in there with any and I am at my highest weight ever (I do think all the grains on the macrobiotic plan contributed A LOT to my weight gain). Lots of stress this past year in life and I REALLY eat to cope.

Anyway, I am really determined to give Atkins a serious shot. Today is the first day and I feel O.K. but it's only 4:00pm and I have reached 20g of carbs! I guess it will be just protein and fat for dinner. Suggestions about that? My food today was (would LOVE suggestions):

============================================
breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs, 2tbsp ground flaxseed, 2 glasses of water with lemon

at work: 1/2 mug starbucks coffee with 2tbsp 2%milk (there wasn't any cream - unprepared, oops)

snack: 1 hard boiled egg and a BIG glass of water (I was hungry)

lunch: about 3 oz. chicken in italian dressing, 1c greek salad, 1 hard boiled egg

snack: 1/2 can tuna, 1tsp sesame oil, 1/2 mug coffee with 1tbsp 2% milk, big water

snack (again! I clearly am nowhere near the appetite suppression, when will that kick in because it couldn't come soon enough!): a bag of pork rinds and another big glass of water

dinner: haven't eaten yet but it will be just protein and fat.
==============================================

If anyone has anything to offer I would be grateful. I have been scanning the threads and there it so much info here - it's great.

Bye!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:35

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Where are all your carbs coming - - must be from the milk? You seem to eat a lot of protein - where is your salads/veggies? You need to eat them too. I beleive atkins says 2.5 cups salad and 1 cup veggies a day. You are not getting enough and it may cause you digestive problems - believe me.

Try adding more salad and veggies to your diet.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:43

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Well, it seems like the only reason you're off today is the lack of cream in your life. Other than that, I'd actually tell you to eat more! I like to eat a lot of veggies and cheeses to fulfill my carb count. One of the best ways to have Atkins work in the longterm (as you expressed concern about) is to eat a variety of great-for-you carbs, such as salads and low glycemic veggies.

If you counted several carbs for the milk, at least you won't have to do that tomorrow when you buy some heavy cream, right?

Anyway, remember that we're all here for you and hope you'll stick to it as a life plan, not just a diet. Might be hard to break the "diet" mentality but that's what you should try to do. Atkins is supposed to be a plan to control carb intake and then increase it to a comfortable level.

Good luck! We're all rootin for you!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 07:12
Pending Member

Stats: 149/145/125
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Thanks Yvonne and Skamito!

I appreciate both of you throwing some advice my way. I will try to get more veggies in today. I am usually stuffing myself with veggies when not doing Atkins. But I'm trying to keep the carb count under twenty and when I count a carb for coffee, 1 for cream, etc., they add up!

Is there a recommendation on how many times a day I eat? Or should I just be eating when I am hungry? Also, I've seen a lot of posts about snacks like pork rinds and cream cheese, etc. and I know that counting calories is not necessary on Atkins - but don't they add up? And won't eating a lot of dense calories like cheese and pork rinds slow weight loss?

I fear I am getting way ahead of myself! Perhaps I should start a journal and just get into the habit of recording my food.

Have a great weekend everyone and I'll be back.

#5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/164.5/150
BF:
Progress: 62%

Why don't you chart your food on Fitday?? It gives you an idea of where your carbs on coming from and also what you need to add to keep in the ratio. I have some lo carb bacon that I fry up and keep in the refrig. I take a slice when I feel the hunger and it is very satisfying, both for the taste and the chewy action. How bout adding pork sausage patties to your menu. These too fill you up. Hopefully your hunger will abate in a couple days.
This is a grand plan for eating and not being hungry - you just have to find out what works for you. There's a lot of helpful info on this site......just scroll down and find out what others have done in their newbie stage.
Kay
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 10:08

Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Marisa

You might find it better to eat several small meals rather than 3 big ones. I eat about every 2 1/2-3 hours. That way I get everything I need and I'm almost never hungry! Also, since I have a job that at times holds me up, sometimes for a few hours, I find that by eating several small meals I dont' go that long....even when caught with an "emergency" for an hour or two!

Also...I also highly recomend Fitday (www.fitday.com) for recording what you eat. You can also add your favorites if they're not in there!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 10:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

When starting Atkins, don't worry about how much you are eating, just about the carb total. If you are hungry, eat something protein. The appetite suppression will sneak up on you, so don't bother to keep looking for it. It does take a few days or more.

And if you get all the way up to 25 carbs, it's not a disaster, just a higher level. You'll be fine.