Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 19:49

Plan: My Own LC Plan
Stats: 184/175/140
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Headaches... and any other surprises?

Hi Everyone!

This is my first day on Atkins, and so far so good! Only thing is I'm starting to feel a slight headache coming on. Is this normal? Any other surprises I should expect soon, and when can I expect my body adjust to them? Thanks!

Oh, does anyone know if "Caffeine Free Diet Coke" is okay to drink on Atkins? I don't want to have to make a trip to the store only to find out it's not!!

TIA for your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 20:58
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

Hi bitrswt99,

welcome to this forum When I first started with Atkins I also had headaches and I was light headed for a few days. Your body is going to a detox phase and this is a side effect. This should stop after a few days and then you will feel like a million bucks

Best wishes

Mischa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 09:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Welcome Tia!

You seem to be off to a great start! I had terrible headaches during induction and nausea as well. It was hard for me physically to get off the sugar. I took plenty of excederin and drank a lot of water. It DOES get better but don't let it surprise you if it gets worse first. It is quite a chemical change! If the headaches keep up, you might want to add a potassium supplement. I take it everyday and it has cured my headaches.

You really aren't supposed to drink any diet sodas during induction. Coke is sweetened with aspartame and that can stall a lot of people or kick off cravings. But remember, this is YOUR WOL and if you choose to drink the diet soda, the planet won't explode. I had a terrible coca cola addiction, I easily drank a liter a day. Now I drink one diet cherry coke each day and occassionally drink diet rite brands which are sweetened with splenda rather than aspartame. It really is just a matter of works for you and makes you happy. Caffeine makes a lot of people hungrier, so you always want to try to limit caffeine. It doesn't bother me a lot, but I try to limit it just on principle! Cindi
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 11:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post In the beginning...

I definately felt headachy during Induction, and I'm in my second week of re-Induction after a slight binge and sure enough...more headaches...

...but it does pass. I feel fine this week. The first time around though I was also a bit grumpy (we call it UMS-Ugly Mood Swings in our house) for a couple of weeks. But I chalked it all up to detoxing from all the refined sugars.

The bright side is that after it passes, things really get better. You'll have more energy and you'll be clearer in the head.

Sugar truly is a demon!

Good luck!

Donald