Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 15:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/242/180 Female 5feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Cool ketone ?

Hi does anyone know I had a urine dialysis at the hospital and my ketones are 50 is that high are low or normal ?just wondering if anybody has had there ketones measured this way .any info would be great
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 21:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi there. I'm slightly confused. Do you mean a "urine analysis" where they test urine for various substances? Dialysis is the method of cleaning the blood of a person who is in kidney failure by a dialysis machine.

I will go look for urine analysis values for ketones. I have never used anything except ketostix. Are you a diabetic because I wondered why you had such a test done? Just curious and trying to understand.

(Tofi goes out and is back in a flash) Looks as though you are barely higher than "moderate". If you have been on LC for a few weeks, that would skew the results to give a slightly higher reading. Ketosis in a non-diabetic is NOT THE SAME as ketoacidosis in a diabetic. Ketosis is safe and ketoacidosis is dangerous.

http://www.avera.org/adam/ency/article/003585.htm
Ketones - urine
Definition:
A test that measures the presence or absence of ketones in the urine.
Alternative Names:
Ketone bodies - urine; Urine ketones: acetone, acetoacetic acid, and beta-hydroxybutyric acid

Urine ketones are usually measured as a "spot test" with a dipstick containing a color-sensitive pad impregnated with specific chemicals which react with ketone bodies. A color change is a qualitative indicator of the presence of ketones.
How to prepare for the test:
A special diet may be recommended, and drugs that may affect the test results should be discontinued (see Special Considerations).

Why the test is performed:
Ketones (beta-hydroxybutyric acid, acetoacetic acid, and acetone) are the end-product of rapid or excessive fatty acid breakdown. As with glucose, ketones are present in the urine when the blood levels surpass a certain threshold. Fatty acid release from adipose tissue is stimulated by a number of hormones including glucagon, epinephrine, and growth hormone. The levels of these hormones are increased in starvation (whether related to excess alcohol use or not), uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, and a number of other conditions.

Normal Values:
A negative test result is normal. Results of the presence of acetone in the urine are usually listed as small, moderate or large with these corresponding values:

small <20 mg/dL

moderate 30-40 mg/dL

large <80 mg/dL

What abnormal results mean:
A positive test may indicate

* metabolic abnormalities, including uncontrolled diabetes or glycogen storage disease
* abnormal nutritional conditions, including starvation, fasting, anorexia, high protein or low carbohydrate diets
* protracted vomiting, including hyperemesis gravidarum (morning sickness)
* disorders of increased metabolism, including hyperthyroidism, fever, acute or severe illness, burns, pregnancy, lactation or following surgery

Special considerations:
Special diets may alter test results. For example, a diet consisting of low amounts of carbohydrates with high amounts of protein and fat may effect the ketone levels.

Drugs that may cause false positive measurements include glucocorticoids.

Last edited by tofi : Thu, Nov-07-02 at 22:01.