Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-01, 21:06
Registered Member

Plan: Type 2 Diabetes/Protein Power/Self-Designed Program
Stats: 240/180/140
BF:
Progress:
Default Keeping firm and feeling soft

Okay, I've been away on vacation for the past few weeks and havent been around. I missed yall!
I've been on this new eating plan for little over four months (began 2/6/01), have lost 48 pounds and feel pretty good. I walk five evenings each week and work out occasionally when I feel like it. I cheated for the first time two days ago and felt it. I was hoping to increase my carbs now that I'm getting down to my last forty pounds to lose, but when I did I came down with a headache that nothing could cure. Like ten peanut m'm's, a slice of whole wheat bread, a whole apple and a handful of popcorn was all that it took! I haven't had chocolate in four months and I miss it! Really a lot! But after the headache I decided it wasn't worth it.
THings I've noticed:
1. I started out at 235 pounds wearing a womans size 22 and now I am a size 16, looking better, but a little saggy in the bum
2. I don't get hungry and I don't really crave sweets anymore, well except when I smell chocolate and then I have to leave the room.
3. I can bend over, tie my shoes and still breath with my jeans zipped up.
4. My shoes are too big!
5. My blood pressure has dropped from 120/85 down to it's normal range of 110/65.
6. I more!
7. I run occasionally now and can breath when I do.
8. I don't like that I feel softer now. I used to be a firm fat and now I'm feeling loose and saggy! Yuk! Any suggestions???

After my first cheat, I am fighting to get back into ketosis and stay there until my 46th birthday in October when I plan on having chocolate cake and eating it too!

I wonder if I should maybe take up weight lifting or something like taikwando (sp ???) to firm up. Comments or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 14:03

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

If you want to firm up, weightlifting and cardiovascular activity are the way to go! I do both and butt (although not firm enough yet for my liking) has gotten more firm from doing the elliptical machine at a very high incline. Also, my arm muscles are for lack of a better term, more muscular, because of weightlifting! Call me crazy, but I like exercising!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-01, 07:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/245/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Definitely need weight training

To firm up your body you will definitely have to start weight training along with your cardio walking. Try doing your weights first and then follow with a 30-60min cardio session. Checkout Fatwars.com for a good workout program. There are 20 weight lifting exercises listed. Right now I only do 8 of them at 3 reps of 15. Obviously this website doesn't reveal everything you need to know because there is a book published that he would like you to buy. This program is working for me and does promote a low carb eating lifestyle however the amount of carbs he suggests per meal per day will seem to be way too high for most on Atkins, etc. Personally, I am drastically reducing my carbs because I have a lot to lose. (Example: this book says I should have 37grams of carbs per meal! I choose to keep my carb count lower than 30gram per day). But what I like about this book is the exercise program. He details an easy to follow 9-week program initially and then follows up with a 4-month cycle that repeats itself but adds weights all the time.

There is this lovely girl in my office who recently lost about 68 pounds on a low carb lifestyle monitored by a nutrionist. Everytime I see her I complement her on her progress. She tells me though that she's not happy with her body (she is half her original size - literally!) because even though she's smaller, she's flabby and shakes like jello. I told her to start weight training that's the only way to tone up. She said her nutrionist recommended cardio only so as not to bulk up. Bull! I say. If weights are done properly - you'll achieve that sleek, toned look.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-01, 07:35

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Sylvie-
I agree.... I think a lot of people are afraid of weightlifting because they don't want to "bulk up." There are so many different exercises out there and depending on the weight you are lifting or how many reps, you can get toned and not be all bulky!