Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 11:24

Plan:
Stats: 304/288/215
BF:
Progress:
Default How Much & How Quick??

This is my second day on this diet, I've started it because nothing else has really worked. I'm 6'2, 304lbs, large frame. My goal is to get to 215. So far so good on the diet, I'm sure there's a long way to go though.

I've set a plan for myself to stick to the diet, drink the recommended amount of water and walk 3-5 miles every day. Walked 6 yesterday & I'm too sore!!! But going again this afternoon. I'm new to the board and the diet so just looking for encouragement. I have a friend that lost 30 pounds in a month withought exercising at all. So I'm just curious if anyone has really started out with the diet and exercise and how much and how quickly they've lost weight? Someone please tell me it's going to work?!?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 11:46

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Hi Newguy and welcome

First off, have you taken measurements? If not get to it buddy!

As for how fast? How quick? Your mileage may vary from others on the board. Before you set yourself up for failure, frustration and disappointments let's take a look at some numbers.

How long did it take you to gain to your present weight from your goal weight. (you may keep these numbers to yourself)

It took me 10 years to gain 60 pounds. That is 0.016 pounds a day. Doesn't seem like much.

I set a moderate goal for myself to lose a year's worth of weight every 2 months or 3 pounds a month. Still doesn't seem like much eh?

So far I have lost 4 year's worth of weight since April 23th. (not even 2 months yet)

Set your sights realistically. Don't think that by mentioning the word diet that you are going to scare those 100 pounds off over night.

It goes on slow, it comes off slow. The difference of this diet? You don't starve, in fact you won't be hungry. While others around the country are munching on celery sticks and having their cans of soup to stay thin, you are going to be munching on lobster and steak and having the weight melt away.

It works. Browse through the threads and look at the before and after pics.

Good luck to you and again welcome
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 11:57
Jerzee

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Welcome Newguy30,

My situation was similar to yours when I first tried the atkins diet. The soreness will go away as long as you keep walking each day. The amount of weight you can lose depends on the person and how few carbs you consume each day. Vitamins are also an important part of the plan because they help raise your metabolism which helps with the fat burning process. Stick with it, put up with a few stalls here and there and you will be delighted with the results. Best of luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 12:04

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Walking

Is walking 3-5 miles per day sufficient? I just kinda pulled out those numbers because it's something I can do right now without keeling over dead I've gained probably 65 pounds in 3.5 years. Thats when i was married and got lazy. Now I'm divorced and lost 120 pounds of headache, but still have 85 pounds to go. No offense to all the ladies out there, but if you knew her you'd understand! Thanks for the welcomes, I still would like to hear more results.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 12:20

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi NewGuy!

Tomorrow is my First week and my weigh in morning! I know for a fact that I lost weight! I don't know how much just yet but I know I did simply because (I kid you not) my pants are already looser!) go figure in one week! Granted I only have 18 pounds to loose BUT I once was 210 currently started Atkins last wed at 136 and my goal is 118! I would be VERY happy with a 2-4 pound loss-but more so than that, my body is already loosing inches!! I swear in only a week!!! I work out 2 hours a day though-tae-bo and lifting weights and aerobics so I know that is also a big help but so far, I'm sticking with this WOL eating! NOT hungry at all - first time in years!! I'll bet you'll do great. Men seem to loose faster than women. (PS I too lost a headache!)
Sachi
good luck

I'll post my loss to all tomorrow!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 13:09

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Sachi

I appreciate the comments and looking foward to seeing your loss tomorrow! Good Luck!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 14:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi NewGuy30, welcome aboard

I'm an example of slow loss, but I'm more than happy with that. I've lost 35 lbs in the past year, including a 6 month stall (which I've recently broken, by the way) ... I know that I would still be gaining weight if I was eating a high-carb & grain diet, even if it was lowfat and low calorie. I gained wt. eating 1200 cals a day on lowfat, but I'm losing lbs and inches eating 1600 to 1700 cals a day with lowcarbing. I'm 5'6" , chronic yo-yo dieter in the past, and a number of chronic health problems. I am pleased, and consider myself very successful. My blood pressure and cholesterol levels have also come down, and that's with a fat intake of 60 - 65% of daily caloric intake.

As for walking ... it RULES!! That's about the only exercise I can do without causing problems .. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome ... but I don't let it stop me! I enjoy hiking in the woods (I don't like city streets ... car fumes, ugghh) ... and aim for 2 to3 times a week, 4 to 5 km per hike (= 2.5 to 3.5 miles)... I'm aiming to gradually increase to 8 km (5 mi), and also increasing the difficulty of the terrain (more hills and climbing).

Good luck to you, and I look forward to reading about your progress ..

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 00:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up Walking....

I agree with Doreen - walking RULES! I've been walking regularly since the buses went on strike at the beginning of April (yes, 2 1/2 months ago, it's ridiculous). Some days I walk to work; I also walk in the park or along the seawall just for the fun of it (I am SO lucky to live in this neighbourhood!). Some days I walk 40 minutes, others up to 2 hours. After 10 weeks, I've rediscovered muscles I haven't seen since the last time I weight trained. Even in my arms and shoulders! Just from walking!

I've lost a few pounds, but more importantly, I've lost fat and inches, and gained muscle.

Go for it!

Rachel
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 04:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Ummm, I think I will stay out of this posting. Me a bad girl and don't exercise. My life has no room for it right now, or again this could be an excuse?

Got a great big giggle on you folks losing your headaches, me too lost mine years ago....hehehehe...sometimes I think I got another one though...oops..did I say that out loud? LOL

Newguy, just relax, do what you want, walking is good as these folks have shown. With your new way of eating, take it one day at a time. You will love it! You will see results too

Good luck and keep posting!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 06:17

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Welcome NewGuy!
Walking that much is good for you! Walking I find isn't enough for me so I do the elliptical or the bike or play some basketball. Also, weights. But to each his/her own! Glad you found us and I look forward to hearing your success!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 07:45

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Day 3

Thanks for the posts everyone, It's day 3 and I'm starving. Not because of the Diet, but I havn't been allowing myself to eat much. Yesterday for lunch I had 2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon, and that was all I had all day. Other than 144oz. of water.

By the time I got home from work, I walked 3 miles, then had to go to band practice (Which is exercise in itself). I play lead guitar and sing in a rock band and we practice in a warehouse with no air conditioning, so yesterday it was 92 outside and somewhere close to hell inside. 2.5 hours of that and I was drenched in sweat.

Anyway, today I'm planning on eating some grilled chicken for lunch and then maybe a steak tonight. That still doesn't sound right, but I can't wait. Also, I'm dying to jump on the scale to see if I've lost anything yet, but am going to try to make myself wait at least a week.

My next question is about weight training? At what point should I start this to keep the muscles tone? I don't wan't to become a body builder, but I wan't to make sure things are staying tone as the fat burns. Should I wait to lose so much weight before I start this? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

I WILL REACH MY GOAL!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 08:27

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default weights

"I" suggest (my opinion only) a weight lifting program right away. Don't wait until you loose alot of weight. Begin slowly and with light weights-this will help you tone while you loose - wait too long and you will never recaptured the elasticity in your skin - Make sure you eat plenty - not eating enough I think can cause you more harm than good - as for me- I lost 76 lbs in four months but i had major life changes - fortunately I have been able to keep it off over the past years - Now I'm jsut struggling with the last of my goal 16 pounds to go
keep me posted-

Sachi
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 08:59

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Weights

Sachi,
What type of routine would you recommend for weight training right away? Also, 76 pounds in 4 months is amazing....I hope I can be as lucky. And if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by "life changes". If it's personal I understand, but I'm not sure if you mean diet and excercise or something else. I don't care what it takes, I just wan't to loose it! So I'm looking for all the advise I can get. I'm leaving now for my much anticipated lunch...this has been the longest morning
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 09:10

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default LIFE CHANGES

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific! I mean in every aspeect of the phrase - food - exercise - getting out of an abusive marriage - building my self esteem back - everything-- I am not a fan of walking - but more power to you to be able walk that much in a day! My routine currently consists of 2 hours a day of aerobic and cardio exercising - beit tae-bo, riding the bike-lifting-I really vary my routine because I get too bored too fast- if you want to get started on wieghts I would suggest something simple to start -m-w-f 3 days a week maybe 20 minutes a day m=upper body w=lower body f=abs

m=arm curls, triceps, biceps, flies anything to work the arms 3sets/of 15 w/10-15 pound weights
(weight will vary you may likely utilize 20 pound weights and it not feel heavy at all--go 15LB

sachi
let me know
are you on aol? instant messenger?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 11:05

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default IM

I just got back from lunch and had an 8 ounce sirloin steak and icewater. IT WAS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!! I love this so far.

I've signed up for instant messanger, my screen name is lowcarbinit Cute huh? Anyone that would care to chat feel free to message me.