Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 02:23

Plan: May 03 CAD
Stats: 233/231/150
BF:
Progress: 2%
Unhappy Major Help Needed pleasssssssssee

Hi All

Please excuse me if I waffle on abit, but I need to get this out before I lose the courage.

I'VE PUT 3LB ON IN LAST TWO WEEKS AND CAN SEE MORE COMING ON THIS WEEK. Thats it I've done it !!!

I really dont know what has happened with me. Up until a month ago this WOE was firmly ingrained in my brain and nothing could sway me to eat carbs. Then all of a sudden I'm heavily into eating just about anything.

The will power seems to have up and left me. Yeah i could make excuses up - like in the past month I've :-

1. changed my career
2. had ofsted at school for a week
3. at the moment have a very nasty cold
4. having problems with my fiances ex-wife

And yes all the above have happened, but surely that should'nt have been enough to send me on this downward spiral.

I've purchased the L-glutamine, chronium picolate and I take a multi vitamin/ multi mineral every day too - so why is this happening to me. I dont even enjoy most of what I'm eating - I just eat it. The problem is I cant get rid of all the high carb stuff out of the house - because I have a family and they eat them.

For four months I've done so well and all that forbidden food has still been there and never bothered me - but right now I'm craving it and not resisting. Already this morning I've had four slices of bread - which I cant taste cos of this cold - so dont know why I wanted it.

Please Please Please someone give me some advice here - because I'm getting desperately worried that I'll put back on the remaining 22lb that I've lost.

Thank you in advance from a very miserable low carber
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 06:00
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default Comfort Foods & Emotional Eating

julie, it sounds like you are having trouble with emotional eating... I know all about it, as it is how I got to my original state of being overweight. Some foods are just *comfort* to us, for some reason or another, and in moments of stress it is those foods that we reach for without thinking about the consequences. You have a lot going on in your life, and it seems to be happening all at once. I know what it is like to be the only LCer in a household... in fact our son has to eat food choices that are entirely detrimental to my LC w/o/e, in order to keep his weight up and to gain it! Sit back and look at the whole picture,so to speak... ask yourself...is eating this going to taste as good as losing the weight feels? and Is this worth eating and maybe turning my weight loss topsy turvy?Gaining it all back?
Get out of the kitchen when you are stressing... beat a pillow, engage in a physical activity... know it is a body's natural instinct to want to store up fat for the winter months, and especially if you are a female,which you are... and stay away from where those foods are... if/when you do fall off the LC wagon, don't beat yourself in the gob about it... just pick yourself up, dust yourself off., and go back to the w/o/e where you know you are losing again... you must have done something right or else you would not have lost the original pounds! I hope that I may have helped some... feel free to add me as a buddy and pm me~ I will help as I can~ I know what it is like to be in your shoes...
and many others here as well... know that we are here for you and want you to be successful~ g' luck~ and God bless~
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 06:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Hey Julie: You sure aren't alone in this - we all managed to put on this weight somehow. You have really done well with your weight loss! I had a bad cold recently and it sure doesn't help because it is hard to care about anything. Sounds like you are coping with a lot in your personal life. Sometimes we need to ask ourselves why we pick ourselves to punish........Why we take it out on our bodies.

Try the 24 hour cure. Just decide that for TODAY you will stay on your low carb plan. If you want to be evil tomorrow - tomorrow will still be there! And so will the bread! Just work on TODAY. Also, when you really crave something - set your timer for one hour and then if you still want it badly - go ahead and eat it. But the craving will probably pass in that time. And have you noticed? That stuff never tastes as good as we think it is going to. You have been very successful with low carb. Hang in there, you have hit a rough spot and it WILL pass! Cindi
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 06:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 370/270/160
BF:50%/36.6%/24%
Progress: 48%

I understand too, Julie, I really do. Those comfort foods are just a habit- you turn to them when stressed without even thinking about it. And carbs ARE addictive to some people- the more you have, the more you want.

Julie, just STOP. That's all, just stop. Right now. Don't eat another high carb bite! Don't beat yourself up either with guilt about what you have done. Listen gal, we all have choices- everything we do is a choice. Stop thinking of yourself as a victim, and just accept that you made a bad choice. Now make a good choice, and go back on induction. You made a very good choice when you posted here- you recognized the problem and were willing to do something about it.

I don't know where you are with spirituality, but prayer helps me. I have a tendency to feel a little embarrassed to pray for help with something that I worry may seem trivial to my Higher Power, but it is OK, and He will listen and give you strength.

On the practical side, start glugging down that water again- you will feel too full to stuff in bread. And remember that once you are solidly back in ketosis, get the carbs out of your system and get back in a fat burning mode, the hunger and the cravings will stop.

Here is something that may help you, as it has helped many others. Have you heard of Overeaters Anonymous? It is a twelve step program like AA that recognizes that overeating is an addiction and uses the 12 steps of AA to combat the problem.
Here is a good website on that approach: http://recovery.hiwaay.net/trg.html

For now, spend some time on the net if you can, and read some success stories to brace yourself up. We'll be here for you. You can do it!

Big Hugs,
Kat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 06:51

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I usually have the proverbial talk with myself at times like these. Why do I HAVE to have this food? Will it cure something? Will I die without it? Will it make me feel better? Will it cause my blood sugars to get out of whack? Will I feel bad afterwards?

If after answering all those questions (and whatever others you add) - and you still feel the need to eat it - eat something else, preferrably something fatty - cheese, etc. For me tuna with lots of mayo helps. Usually after that I am full and not wanting anything else.

All the suggestions you have and will be given will probably be valid techniques, you just need to find the one best for you. Even if it is coming here on this forum with a new topic "Talk some sense into me!" We are here for you.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 13:10
Registered Member

Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Well I'm not

doing so well myself lately in eating low carb food. I can't say much for that reason, but there is one thing I've learned from other low carb dieters.

Usually the woman of the house is the one doing the grocery shopping. So why do you buy high carb foods? No one in the family NEEDS high carb foods (normally, in suze_c's case that may not be true). So why buy them? I can usually resist bread, so I may buy that for the family, but if I'm seriously low carbing I don't buy cookies or ice cream or any of the things that tempt me.

My kids don't need junk food, my husband should eat healther even if he is slim, so why have those things in the house to tempt you in the first place?

The most successful low carb dieter I know changed everyone in her family's way of eating. She even went so far as to put Splenda in the sugar bowls. She lost down to within 10 pounds of her goal in about 8 months. 80 pounds or more she lost and I always admired her success. I have noticed that fat tends to run in families. If you see a really fat woman and her really fat husband, chances are the kids are over fat too. Not always, but often. Why set your kids up for that? Sure it might be genetics, but all the more reason why you should get them on the right track to begin with.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 09:58

BF:
Smile Thankyou Everybody

Dear All

yesterday I was positively down - today I feel alot better. The cold is still there but not as bad and I have begun Induction from mid morning.

I've had my daughter throw out the white chocolate I bought yesterday - unfortunately she'd not got to the chocolate cheesecake before I'd eaten it - but at least its a start.

For over a week now I've been completely off the rails and I refuse to allow my body to control me again. I will be the master and its as simple as that.

After a frustrating 24 hours of bingeing and fixing my computer (my friend totally messed it up) and sorting it - I thought if I can do this to a messed up computer - well I can do it to myself too. I dont need those sweet or savoury high carb foods - if I'm honest I never gave them more than 2 seconds in my mouth yesterday and thats not enjoyment - that was gluttony.

So here I am and with the support of you all - which I really do appreciate - I'm going to lick this carb monster over the next two weeks.

I think I will find induction the best way to go - I need to get those carbs out of my body again and get myself into ketosis.

So I will report in everyday and would appreciate any honest advice you can give.

Thank you again my friends - where else could one get support like this?

happy Lcing
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 02:51

BF:
Thumbs up Day 3 and all's going well

Hi All

well its day three on induction and so far everything seems to be going swimmingly along.

I still have a major cold and feel like I have a cotton wool head with plugs in my ears and a tap for a nose - but hey we cant have everything can we !!!

Thank heavens I've got 3 non teaching lessons this morning - gives me time to come around alittle

well yesterday I had :-

brekkie
courgette and mushroom omelette
herbal tea

lunch
lettuce, cheese, peppers, cucumber, turkey, tuna and mayo
water

dinner
we went to a carvery - slices of beef, ham, turkey, cauliflower with cheese, brocolli and spring cabbage
decaff coffee

Now I probs went over the 20 carbs allowance, but it was with veg i promise !!!!

Can deffo tell am detoxing, cos have had a major headache for two days now - dont know whether thats the LCing or the cold lol.

Right take care everyone and speak to you soon
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 15:31

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Congrats for sticking with it -- even with a head cold. I know it's frankly hard to feel like eating anything at all when you're all stuffed up. On the other hand, maybe that's a good time to eat foods you normally hate, when you can't taste anything, lol!

PJ