Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 06:17

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 310/205/170
BF:
Progress: 75%
Smile Too saggy

I have had the same saggy boob problem and have seen a plastic surgeon and guess what!??? Due to my 100lbs weight loss insurance will cover my boob lift and my tummy lift!! I’m waiting until I meet my goal of 42 more lbs and then under the knife I go! I stared out as a 42 DDD and am now a 38 (almost 36)DD and will be lifted to a 36D.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 06:23

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

LOL it's funny that you mention that cause I got an appointment with a plastic surgeon in 2 hours because I want a reduction Try doing areobics and exercising with a freakin 32dd I hate these friggen things. They hurt. And nothing fits, even when I do lose weight.

Thats cool that you got approved for insurance to cover it. I'm not sure if mine will. I have back problems and sitting up straight hurts, but I never went to a dr for it.

Eck. Wish me luck.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 06:30

BF:
Talking seeing your dr

They are going to take pictures of your “groove” marks on your shoulders, look to see if you have any redness or rashes under your breasts and numbness or tingling in your hands from pressure of your bra on your nerves. Some or any of these types of think including back pain and being able to straighten up will all contribute to whether your insurance will pay for a lift/reductions. Good luck let me know what happens!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 06:40

I have the shoulder thing, but not as bad as some people. And it's always red because I have to wear them tight and double up on a bra and exercise bra when exercising...
As for under...... I get red under them too actually, but I don't think I am today....lol figures. My backs not that straight though so that should help.. hmm. I hope I get approved.

lol got any other tips? I so don't wanna pay 5,000 but will if I have to.

I think I'ma ask for lipo too while I'm there...lol
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 06:55

BF:
Cool getting a lift

I'm sure everything will work out well. Most doctors try and helo you with insureace knowing this is a big expence and impacts your back health and pain asso with this type of problem. Good luck I know it will turn out all right!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 10:06

Eck. Scratch everything I said before.

Total cost is going to be f*** $7,520.
Insurance won't cover me because they're only taking like 250grams out of each one and I didn't lose alot of weight. Maybe I should go and try and get pregnant and do it in 9 months.

5,990 alone being the surgeons fees.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 10:14

BF:
Question try again

What?!? Get a second opion. If you chest wall is only a 32 and your breasts are in in DD cup seems you should find someone willing to make the system work for you. If this is important to you stick with it. Good luck!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 10:21

Grr. I know. The problem is I want a female dr, and she's like the best one in my state. She has a real good record and I really liked her... The insurance thing had nothing to do with her. She said I could call and try it... But most likely because they're not taking too much off me, insurance most likely wouldn't cover it.

But still either way, 7,520 is hella lot of money!! I don't know what to do, go with a cheaper dr who might suck? lol. Ugh.

I was expecting maybe 4,000-5,000! Not 7,500!! Thats the average price other people I've talked to on the net paid.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Call your insurance company and find out what their policy is regarding breast reduction surgery for your contract. Also find out from the surgeon approximately how many grams of breast tissue you need to have removed. You could also have the doctor write to the insurance company explaining why it's medically necessary for you to have this surgery. I used to work for an insurance company and I have seen many claims paid that normally wouldn't be paid due to persistence of the insured. Good luck.
asugar
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 16:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Slimshady: one point to make with the insurance company is the fact that you have a small body size. 250 g of tissue might not seem like a lot of excess on someone who's six feet tall and 175 lbs, but you're 5'3" and in a 32 bra! Jeez - don't they grasp the concept of 'scale'?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 16:37
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Another option you may have is to call the insurance company and ask what their "allowance" is for breast reduction surgery. This way, if the doctor you want to go to participates with your insurance company, and you can't get your insurance company to pay, perhaps you could cut a deal with the doctor. Most insurance companies have contracts regarding fee schedules with doctors, hospitals, etc. The doctors do this because it's a wise business move, especially if the majority of people in their area are all insured through the same employer and the doctor wants patients. If patients have to go out of town to have their surgeries paid in full, they will, and the doctors all know it. Good luck and I hope you get it paid in full, preferably by the insurance company. Also, remember that if the insurance company won't pay for the surgery, they will also not pay the assistant surgeon or the anesthesia or the hospital.
asugar
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 19:52

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default 250 isn't enough

I worked for an insurance co (BCBSMA) and unfortunately, the general rule is 500 for each breast! I agree it's not right, but ask your doc what size you'd be if she took that much!

Also, be aware that many insurance companies won't pay until they get the pathology report....and it specifies how much was taken! I've seen cases where the doc figured over 500, but then when the surgery was done it was under and the insurance co refused to pay!!!!!

Also, another route to go....embarassing, maybe, but it might work....is to call your HR person at work and find out what type of policy you have. If your company has what is called a "self assured" policy, they might be able to and willing to ask for a waiver for you! It happens more than people know....the employer doesn't advertise this because they don't want to be inundated with requests....but it does happen! The more symptoms, problems you have, the more likely they'll give a waiver....but some companies won't....no matter what!

250 really isn't very much! Are you sure weight loss won't help? it's really the best way to go....after all, there are risks involved with surgery!

Cindy
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

250 grams is about half a pound. One pound = 454 grams, so it's actually 8.8 ounces. That's more than half a block of butter. And body fat is less dense than butter, so you might be looking at quite a reduction.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 11:12

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

My ribcage is around 33 inches and I wear a 38DD. I have found a fantastic sports bar that allows me to jog without the painful bounce of other sport bras. It's made by Champion sportswear and cost is about 32 bucks if I remember correctly. I purchased mine at Dillard's department store.

They come in grey, black and white. The style/model number is 144, not sure what if any they named it. So you may want to give that a try. I have tried others and they have too much give. This one seems to support throughout the bust and has underwire support.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 02:50

Quote:
Originally posted by asugar
Call your insurance company and find out what their policy is regarding breast reduction surgery for your contract. Also find out from the surgeon approximately how many grams of breast tissue you need to have removed. You could also have the doctor write to the insurance company explaining why it's medically necessary for you to have this surgery. I used to work for an insurance company and I have seen many claims paid that normally wouldn't be paid due to persistence of the insured. Good luck.
asugar

Ya I called. Apparently the surgeon dosen't even accept my coverage... so that dosen't help.... She told me to try calling them and see if they'll reinmburs..(er sp?) me a check, but nope..

The insurance co. said the same thing anyways, they're probably not taking out enough, If they took out 500, my doctor said I'd probably be an a or a small b... I don't want to be THAT small... I think it would look stupid on me anyways. er if that makes sense.

Losing weight wouldn't help. I've always been like this even before I gained weight. And I don't have that much to lose but my dr said since I'm trying to lsoe weight, to try and lose as much as possible beforehand.