Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 07:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/182.5/155
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Two questions about eating....

The first one is this....

The Atkins book says that once you are in fat buring (kinosis...or whatever) that you will be less hungry....That hasn't happened yet...I am hungry literally within an hour of eating...this AM (around 8) I ate 3 eggs and three peices of bacon and I'm already hungry again (9AM)...what am I doing wrong????

Second...What should the percentage relationship be between fat/protien/carbs during induction....I use fitday.com and mine vary greatly and I was wondering what was the best to strive for. Thanks a bunch!

~A
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 07:11

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Ratio should be around:

65 fat, 30 protein, 5 carbs
70 fat, 25 protein, 5 carbs
75 fat, 20 protein, 5 carbs

Somewhere in there seems to be the right mix. I know *IF* I don't eat enough fat, then I do get hungry. So try upping your fat intake a bit to see if it helps offset the hungry spells.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 07:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default wow....

I'm pretty close, but I'm getting worried...where do I get all that fat from...I'm eating bacon and beef and chicken and turkey...

Yesterday to eat I had
3 eggs, 2 peices of thick slice bacon

London broil and green beans (about 8-10 ozs beef and 1 cup green beans)

A roasted chicken breast, and part of a roasted turkey breast, both with the skin, and green beans for dinner....

Sugar free, carb free jello with redi whip on top.

I drank water all day, except on diet coke at dinner time.

My percentage was 44% fat/4% carb/52% protein. What can I change with out eating straigh lard out of a bucket? LOL!

With each meal I was hungry before the next one came around....HELP! this is a large plate of food at each meal, should I really be eating more than this?

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 07:27

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: wow....

Quote:
Originally posted by Allanigan
I'm pretty close, but I'm getting worried...where do I get all that fat from...I'm eating bacon and beef and chicken and turkey...

Try adding butter, olive oil and mayo to your diet, not only do they add fat, but they also add flavor.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 07:34

Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

If you are looking to up your fat and calories, there is no better way than olive oil. I just mix up my own salad dressing of 3 TBS olive oil, 2 tsp. vinegar, and a dash of Italian seasoning. That's a delicious 41 fat grams that is essentially no-carb.

Other resources are mayonnaise (I love it on broccoli and asparagus) and heavy cream.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 08:46
Registered Member

BF:
Default question on salad dressing

I haven't been eating much salad cause I can't find a good dressing...I wouldn't mind making my own...what type of vinegar do you use?

Thanks!

~A
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 09:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have a little scroll through our Salad section in the Low-Carb Kitchen. I think you'll find lots of tempting recipes for both salads and salad dressings.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 08:53
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

How many days have you been in induction. For me day 6 everything just started feeling right.

Also, took a taste of a carbolite bar to just see if it would appease my past and almost constant chocolate cravings and it just triggered my sugar addiction. You may want to cut out the diet soda and see if that helps you.

Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 09:43
Registered Member

BF:
Default I actually did that...

I had half a serving of a Atkins Chocolate shake...It was okay....The diet coke kind of turned into my treat once in a while...I am on day8 of induction...the first three days I lost 3 pounds and the next 4 I only lost .5. I was getting concerned that I wasn't beign strict enough with myself. I am drinking all water now...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 09:48

Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I use red wine vinegar. Any kind that you like would work, I suppose. Just avoid balsamic, which has sugar in it.

I dump all the fixing into an old empty spice bottle and take it with a salad to work every day to lunch. I don't bother to mix it, just shake when I am ready to use it. I load up my salads with goodies like feta cheese, olives, avocado and/or smoked salmon, etc. Lunch has become about my favorite meal of the day!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Caution

Quote:
Originally posted by lkonzelman
Also, took a taste of a carbolite bar to just see if it would appease my past and almost constant chocolate cravings and it just triggered my sugar addiction.
Good luck.

Phew amen! I tried those buggers and BAM! I was coocoo for coco

I know this post doesn't really have to do with those low carb chocy bars, but I just had to put out the warning. I was grabbing myself a few shakes at the grocery when I saw the delite chocy bars and got a few. I not only started cravings back up but I felt like I'd had eaten carbs (sticky yuck mouth, low energy, cruddy emotions). Not to mention, I stopped losing weight for a week. I understand it doesn't effect everyone this way, but just wanted everyone to know the risk. I had to re-commit myself and it felt like the first 3 days all over again. I wouldn't want to re-do that for anything.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 13:07
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

You might actually be eating too much protein and not enough fat. Excess protein converts to glucose in your system and raised glucose levels equals hunger.

Try this. Mix up a variety of no carb dips and spreads that you like with loads of cream cheese and mayonaise and eat some whenever you get hungry. These mixtures use more fat and less protein but the fat satisfies and fills you.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 14:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default could you suggest any recipes liek these

They sound yummy, but I don't know how to make them...
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 09:03
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

You can check any cookbook for dips/spreads. Most don't contain any carbs. Try tuna and egg salad, chopped liver, salmon pate or salad, ham salad, and crab salad. Use scallions instead on onion. Make them with lots of mayonaise or cream cheese and season to your taste. Mix up a variety of 3 or 4 and keep them in the refrigerator. Eat some whenever you get hungry. You can eat them with a fork, pork rinds, celery sticks, cucumbers or wrap them in lettuce leaves. Delicious and very filling. The fat satisfies and you don't get hungry. Even better within four days I went into deep ketosis when I could never get past the first level before.