Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 13:32

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 166/148/135
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Crystal Lite

I've just discovered Crystal Lite and I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with it. I just love it. I still drink water but there's just some times when water won't do.

I know Dr. Atkins frowns on any sweetener but Splenda and this uses aspartame but so far it hasn't seemed to hurt anything.

Just curious if anyone drinks it. Thanks

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 14:05
Registered Member

Plan: Keeping carbs under 20
Stats: // Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

I try to stick to water (and one cup of coffee in the AM). In Protien Power I think they say that even artificial swetners may trigger some sort of insulin response in some people.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 18:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

JerseyDon is correct about the Protein Power book. Just the sweet taste may cause your body to put out insulin. And like many things, your mileage may vary.

Aspartame stalls some people but other lose merrily on. Even the citric acid in diet drinks can be a problem. I think that moderation may be the important factor. If a sweet diet drink keeps you from eating cookies or other sugary things, then it IS better. You have to observe what happens to your rate of loss and make your own decision about the effect.

#4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 12:26
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

'scuse me.... I gotta jump in... 'cause I'm on an anti-aspartame kick this week...

Aspartame is highly controversial for many reasons and anyone who consumes it should be of aware that. Click here to read more. If you do consume it, please (for your health's sake) limit it as much as possible.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 232/164/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default A Crystal Light Alternative

There's something I do when I need a change from water that doesn't involve using aspartame that will probably take you back to being a kid. I take 1/3 packet of strawberry-kiwi (or some other flavor) unsweetened Koolaid and mix it with one Splenda packet in my water bottle. Still not a substitute for our water requirements but gives you a bit of a fruity change from the same-old same-old. Even more positive - this way I can make three water-bottle's worth for about $0.30 instead of the outrageous cost of Crystal Light!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 21:23

Stats: 240/234/150 Female Five Feet
BF:40%
Progress: 7%
Default I have had no problems with it myself

I like it alot also. I have had no stalls with it. I think it is a very personal thing when it comes to your body as to what it will react to. So, if you like it, go ahead.
Belle
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 08:49

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I love Crystal Lite. About five years ago I drank it all the time. I drank it in the morning........I drank it all day. Then I started having severe problems with kidney stones. In one year, I had two lithotrypsy procedures and I cannot tell you the pain I was in! Although I have no medical backup, I believe it was the Crystal Lite. I stopped it completely and never touch the stuff - just looking at it makes my sides hurt. It has all that sediment in the bottom......I don't know what it is but I drank that too. Since quitting Crystal Lite, I have never had another kidney stone and made no other changes in my diet. Like I said, I have no medical backup for this but I absolutely believe it was related. Cindi
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 09:24

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 381/239.8/160 Male 5 ft 6.25 inches
BF:61%/38.4%/25.6%
Progress: 64%
Default I drink it, but from the bottle!

Robin:

I drink one Crystal Light bottle a day (16 oz.) with my dinner! I love it!

It's obviously not hurting my weight loss, either. I have lost 83 pounds in total, and 59 of that has been since getting serious about the low carb WOE at the end of June.

However, there's one thing I wanted to mention: I drink Crystal Light from the bottle, not the crystals. The bottles are flavored with sucralose and acesulfame-potassium, two safe sweeteners, and not aspartame like the mix is.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 10:32

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

The bottled stuff doesn't have the "sediment" in it either. It tastes good too.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:14

Plan: basic LC
Stats: 200/150.5/130 Female 65"
BF:46.3//???
Progress: 71%

I tried drinking it and I loved it but then I got VERY queasy so I just stick with water. I do however mix a little powder in the blender every morning with yogurt and cottage cheese, makes a yummy shake.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:30

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

I was reading this post and just had a thought -- does unsweetend Kool-aid powder have carbs? If not, I wonder why we couldn't just use unsweetend Kool-aid and mix it ourselves with Splenda? Seems like it would be a lot like Crystal Lite, but without the aspartame. There are some pretty good flavors out there if we get tired of the same old thing. If I mixed it up and poured it into water bottles, I would have some for on-the-go also. Has anyone ever tried it?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 12:00

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 381/239.8/160 Male 5 ft 6.25 inches
BF:61%/38.4%/25.6%
Progress: 64%

In looking at Crystal Light posts today, I saw a few people on the site do that - unsweetened Kool-Aid and Splenda. I had never even thought of that! Too bad - That would have come in handy last weekend. The next time I go grocery shopping, I am going to buy a few packs of Kool-Aid and try it out. I already have the Splenda.

I just want to know if they sell the Crystal Light or anything sucralose sweetened in Canada. I was sorely disappointed this trip by the fact that I could only find the aspartame Crystal Light mix up there. If I ever move back up there, I don't want to have to shop in Detroit just to get my Crystal Light fix.