Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 02:24

Plan: vegetarianSP/Sandra Cabot
Stats: 92/82/65
BF:
Progress:
Default Another new member

Hi
I'm here for the obvious, yep - on mision 'to lose it' and sooo glad there are lots of others out there supporting. Being a L-O vegetarian has lead to years of a high carb diet. So today I'm starting a new approach. Wish me luck..!
Meredith
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 04:39

Plan: Dr Aitken
Stats: 206/202/154
BF:No idea
Progress: 8%
Cool

Best of Luck to you. It can not be easy for vegetarians.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 05:08
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

Hi Meredith,

Welcome to the forum and the best of luck to you. Out of curiosity, what will you be eating; do you eat eggs and cheese?

Keep us posted on how you get on.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 16:38

BF:
Progress:

Being a vegetarian is v v hard - but I do eat cheese & eggs as well as seafood (rarely). I haven't eaten meat for about 16 years and I don't think I could handle it! (grew up on a farm and wasn't impressed by home-killed meat)
I suppose that is part of what i want to get out the low carb forum - IDEAS!
-meredith
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: Kaufman, Atkins
Stats: 142/130/110
BF:22% or so
Progress: 38%

I understand your problem! I have wanted to give up meat many times for 2 reasons--I love animals--and I have heard some awful stories of how the butchering process works. Just yesterday I was at a county park with a farm that raises animals to show city children what farming is all about--I petted this really cute cow. He was a bull, actually, and he loved to be petted.

However, for selfish reasons (I feel and look better with more protein)--I have never given up meat. It is a bit of an inner conflict at times.

One observation. As a doctor (chiro) I see a lot of bodies. And a very obvious phenomenon is that strict vegetarians--especially females who keep their overall calories very low--age much more rapidly. Their skin tone and muscle tone is very poor.

I think you can do it though without eating the bigger mammals anyway. Add some good whey/soy/egg protein shakes (guys in the exercise forum can suggest good ones). Eat lots of your good organic eggs/cheeses--and if you can step up the seafood to a bit more than you are used to. You might even consider adding poultry if your experience with their processing isn't too bad. I do hear that the organic ones are generally treated well (free range, etc), if that is any help.

Marj
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 17:54

BF:
Progress:

thanks Marg for the ideas
I am defeintely trying to eat more tofu & soy products too. It's a total mind warp for me - I read on the weekend Schwartzbein's book - and it is just the opposite of what i was taught as good nutrition!
I suppose I was drawn to Schwartzbein because she has vegetarian options... But the standard high carb-low fat & being slack with protein has not worked.
fingers crossed
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 07:39
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

Hi Meredith,

I think there are some veggie options in the Atkins cook book. I'll come back to you on that one as I'm not at home at present.

Speak soon.