Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 165/164/145
BF:more than enough
Progress: 5%
Default Argh!!!!

i am so frustrated.

i have been staying below 40 carbs a day for 1 entire week and i got on the scale just now and guess what? i have GAINED a pound! why? i feel totally hopeless - i have tried every diet out there - and the only time i have EVER EVER lost weight is when i was starving myself on less than 800 calories a day. i know that the reason why i weigh what i do i now is because i screwed up my metabolism but still....WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING!?!?!?

i am going to do the hard core atkins induction i guess - i have resisted that because it usually makes me feel like i am 'suffering' when i have to restrict and that is the reason why i end up binging.

but i cannot stand to keep gaining weight - i am already more than 15 pounds heavier than i like, and while i know that is not that much in the grand scheme of the world - it makes me feel awful and ugly and i WANT IT GONE!!!

below is my food intake yesterday (fairly typical day) and the breakdown from fitday. if you all could look and tell me what you think - i would appreciate it......

breakfast:
2 eggs scrambled with cheese - cooked in butter
2 cups coffee with 1/2 and 1/2

lunch:
low carb meal bar (usually i have turkey and cheese or tuna but i was running errands)

snack:
roasted and salted almonds (is THIS the problem?)
10 slices of turkey pepperoni

dinner:
italian sausage
pepper salad w/ basil and vinagrette dressing
2 glasses wine (or is THIS the problem?)

dessert/snack:
atkins low carb chocolate bar

results:
Total: _ 1611_ _
Fat: 109_ 979_ 64%
Carbs: 43_ 123_ 8%
Fiber: 12_ 0_ 0%
Protein: 85_ 340_ 22%
Alcohol: 13_ 93_ 6%

what should i do? any advice? should i just kepp on trucking and hope i eventually stop gaining weight? or should i swtich to the more restricted plan that atkins recommends and cut veggies, nuts, and the wine from my plan?

a little progress would help me keep doing this.

thanks and sorry for the rant.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 08:18
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

First thing I would cut is the LC bars and chocolate treats which have "hidden carbs" that cause problems for some people. Cut those out and see what happens over the next week or two....

If you need further information on "hidden carbs", check out the link to your right: Hidden Carbs Inspector.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 08:21

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Want an honest opinion?

Kill off the alcoholic beverages. Your body will burn the alcohol BEFORE it even considers buring fat, plus with all the salty foods you are consuming on top of the alcohol your body is probably dehydrating.

Which is probably why you gained a pound. Dr Atkin's DOES NOT recommend a cut in veggies. We eat at least 3 cups of veggies a day every day. Once you get into OWL we also eat fruits.

Have your read his newest addition of his book? If not it may help to pick up a copy and read it. He has made many changes to his diet over the years.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 20:13

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Nanner,
Getting any exercise?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 20:42

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: Argh!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by nanner
cups coffee with 1/2 and 1/2
low carb meal bar (usually i have turkey and cheese or tuna but i was running errands)
roasted and salted almonds (is THIS the problem?)
2 glasses wine (or is THIS the problem?)
atkins low carb chocolate bar

Damn. I would suggest cutting out all of the above. ESPECIALLY The low carb and Atkins bars! They cause stalls in people because there are hidden carbs. Running errands or not..lol. If anything, grab a lowcarb/protein shake. Much better and just as easy.

Coffee has alot of Caf. in it, and 1/2 and 1/2 isn't a good idea. You're better off with Decaf and heavy cream if anything.

agonycat already covered the alcohol part..lol And the nuts aren't bad, it's just the Salt Which will make you retain water, unless you're drinking more than enough to flush it out.
Quote:
i am going to do the hard core atkins induction i guess - i have resisted that because it usually makes me feel like i am 'suffering' when i have to restrict and that is the reason why i end up binging.

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe you felt like you were "suffering" before because you were eating things like low carb bars and stuff which trigger carb cravings. You can eat as much protein and fat on Atkins, and maybe after you lose weight (which if done correctly, you should the first week) You'll be more motivated to stick with it. Hell, feeling "restricted" for a couple weeks and losing weight can't beat the PAST 4 weeks you just did for nothing and gained a pound. Right? Whats 2 more weeks?

Quote:
what should i do? any advice? should i just kepp on trucking and hope i eventually stop gaining weight? or should i swtich to the more restricted plan that atkins recommends and cut veggies, nuts, and the wine from my plan?a little progress would help me keep doing this. thanks and sorry for the rant.

Yep gave my advice already I think you should try the Atkins induction for 2 weeks and see how it goes. But before you jump right into it, make sure you read alot of the posts and ask questions if you need to... Just to make sure you're doing everything by the book (if you haven't read it) And check out all the info on this site, and even check out www.atkinscenter.com for some more info before you start. And don't be sorry for ranting or asking questions, how else will ya learn what your mistakes are and what you can do to be more successfull
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 08:43
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 165/164/145
BF:more than enough
Progress: 5%
Default thanks all!

i think that i AM going to do induction - but i will start on monday. why? well, it is my birthday this sunday - i'll be 32 (yikes)! AND my sweet boyfriend is having a party for me where there will be drinking and carb eating galore. i was hoping that i would have lost some weight before then - but since what i have been doing has not been working - i'm going to start all over again. i know that if i try to aviod eating and drinking that night i will make myself miserable. actually - i might be able to avoid the food - but the martinis are callling.....

ANYWAY!

last night i totally binged on low-carb candy - which made me realize that i think the stuff does trigger cravings - just like regular candy. so i guess it is good that it is gone - i won't eat that stuff anymore - i'll have to check the recipes for sweet suggestions if i just HAVE to have something. and my stomach is making WEIRD noises - i am sort of afraid because of all the malitol - i fear that might pop any second if you know what i mean....

also - yes - i do exercise - i go trail running/walking at least three or four days a week - it is about 40 minutes of really strenuous climbing and running and walking on trails - it is really fun. i am about to start adding in some weight work - a 20 minute "full body" routine that i used to do. and i'm starting to run with a friend of mine 2 days a week - so that should be enough.....

so i think that i am seeing the pattern here - i am 'cheating' too much. the wine, the nuts, etc. that stuff i can add in later - but for now i need to FOCUS and get my fat ass a little thinner.

and the offending pound is gone this morning - even with the binge. i WILL add the next 15 soon -

i'll keep posting - that's for sure.

nanner