Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/201/145
BF:
Progress: 16%
Unhappy feel so bad today

Hi Everyone

I am so upset with myself today. Yesterday I went out with my daughter for
lunch. We were only going to have the spinach salad, but I saw a desert
being served called mud pie (ice-cream pie with chocolate sauce) anyways we
ordered one each. Then later at home my hubby bought a chocolate cake roll
for our Sunday dinner and I ended up eating a whole lot of that too. It
seemed like I was saying I have really blown it today so what diff does it
make now. I have been on induction for 2 and half weeks and have lost 16
pounds and now this morning I am up 2 pounds. I hope I can get thru today
back on it and stay on it again. I am so depressed.
Thanks all for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 10:58

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

beebob, you aren't alone, so don't feel so bad. What I have seen over the past year is people new to the diet plan tend to have a hard time with the first 4 weeks.

Due to whatever reason, they get frustrated, bored with the foods, or think that since they have lost so much and done so well they will treat themselves with a reward.

Dr Atkin's summed it up perfectly in his book with the saying "just this one bite attitude is the kiss of death to your diet". Not because it could take you out of ketosis, but being a carbohydrate addict, once you cross the line and have that treat or reward, the guilt sets in and you end up eating more of the junk as comfort foods.

Learn from your experience that one little treat will cause you to eat even more treats. Was it worth feeling guilty? Was it worth taking yourself out of ketosis? Only you can answer these.

Don't beat yourself up over it, but get right back in the groove. Remind yourself WHY you are on this diet and wanting to lose weight. Write it down.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 13:45

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 166/148/135
BF:
Progress: 58%

16 pounds in 2-1/2 weeks is great!! I wish I could do that. Don't give up now. Get right back on track.

Robin
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 08:40
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Yeah...no kidding...you're doing really well! Don't beat yourself up too long - we've ALL been there...

I'm one of the slow losers around here, and have started over from scratch on Sep 1st. I know the conflict and the comfort that the no-no foods bring but I can also tell you that weeks ago I was 187 and going down, and had to start from 195 on Sep 1st.

One treat does lead to another - ESPECIALLY when you don't see it affect your weight (which it may not do at first). Then you start to feel that you can "tolerate" a little sweet here and there, and before you know it - BOOM! - you're battling another 6 lbs!!

So, be encouraged, forgive yourself quickly and stay the course. (Make some SF jello for the fridge, or keep an Atkins bar in the house for those emergencies!!)

And make sure you give your hubby a real nice thank you for bringing home such a good choice for dessert

Good luck this week!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 09:10

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi!

Ditto to what the others have said. You have made wonderful progress!

We are only human. Don't expect to never have a slice of cake again, but just remember that you are at the most difficult part of your journey right now. Now is the time to be strong. It sounds as though you've been pretty strong so far, so one little bump in the road probably won't make a big difference...unless you let that bump turn into the Grand Canyon!

It's like this, you can pick yourself up and dust yourself on and continue eating well and losing, or you can let one mistake sabotage all your hard work. The choice is up to you. Many people here tend to feel better if they do some form of exercise after a slip up, more or less to ease the conscience. Maybe going for a walk or something might make you feel less guilty.

Remember too, that though we are not supposed to be counting calories here, it does take an additional 3500 calories (above and beyond those that your body uses through activity and body processes) to gain a pound. Though that slice of cake make have seemed like a lot of calories, it probably wasn't even enough to tip the scales. Another thing...think about how many carbs you used to eat before this WOL. If you have been following induction to the letter, I'll bet that that piece of cake didn't bring your carb levels up to where they were on a normal day before this WOL either.

It's like they say, don't sweat the small stuff.

You can do it, you've come a long way so far. Keep up the great work. We all have faith in you!

KC