Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Life without bread
Stats: 200/175/170
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Where do i get calcium from? - please help!

hi
I have read about two differing opinions on dietry intake of calcium. Ray Audette says, we're not gentically adapted to drink milk so we should avoid it. Not only that but the acidity and other stuff in milk and dairy products causes us to excrete most of the calcium we absorb and this can lead to muscle cramps and disease. Finally he says what is more important than total dietry intake of calcium is the calcium balance, meaning we are taking in more than we excrete.

I have also read other points of views. The Weston Price foundation, dr Atkins and Dr Wolfgang Lutz all suggest we should drink milk in order to get enough calcium to avoid bone related diseases.

anyone have an ideas? I imagine in the ice age paleolithic man could not eat grains but maybe possibly kept animals to milk? Possible, but from what i've read, most hunter gatherers were nomads and probaly wouldn't want animals to look after on long trips were any food source, most importantly, goes to the tribe.

Weston price studied tribes but only modern hunter gatherers who live in todays climate, not the enviroment we spent most of our evolution in. I'm confused!!

Please help!
Thanks
Andy

Last edited by shandyAndy : Wed, Sep-11-02 at 12:18.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 18:58

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Andy!

Check out the amount of calcium in 'Dark Green 'vegetables.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 01:14
Registered Member

BF:

Dr Lutz argues that calcium needs to be in the presence of vitamin D to be absorbed and that combination is only available in milk. The weston price website says, if we do not drink milk we should eat boiled bone broth! No thanks.......
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 06:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have just started an experiment with my diet regime including more calcium. I, too, have been reading as much as I can on this subject.

Calcium seems to be the most important factor in preventing diseases and in weight loss. This is due to the acidity in our systems. Calcium reduces this acidity by neutralizing it and returning our system to a more normal PH.

We had a discussion about this a while back and I think it was Raquel who said that we should take calcium citrate rather than calcium carbonate because the carbonate doesn't absorb well.

As for the vitamin D, I've always heard that if you spend 15 minutes in the sun a day, you're body will manufacture all the D it needs. For this reason, I take calcium citrate with Magnesium.

I have a dairy intolerance and so I avoid most of it, however, I have returned to eating yogurt. It seems that they have found that cultured dairy products (yogurt and buttermilk) are ok for those with a lactose intolerance.

Who is Dr. Lutz?

Carol
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 07:40

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Calcium

At the risk of repeating myself .

Look up this site for your calcium absorbtion

http://www.veggiepower.ca/caltable.htm
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 10:53
Registered Member

BF:

looks like milk and broccoli pretty much nail it. I have read though that milk can cause calcium excretion. If this is un true then it seems fine for calcium.

There is also the question of whether milk is healthy given that a lot of people are lactose intolerent; due to it not being a part of the paleo diet (so i'm told). I've heard un pasturized milk is good for everyone or at least better. Anyone have any views on dairy products and their health implications?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 12:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

I have begun taking coral calcium (check out Dr. Robert Barefoot). He is a big, big advocate of calcium - he is also a big advocate of Atkins.