Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 04:17

Plan: X Factor
Stats: 168/168/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default X Factor

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and thought I'd jump straight to the UK!

Just stared Leslie Kenton X Factor Diet, it's day six and all is going well.

Most people seem to follow Atkins. Does anyone know if there is much difference?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 07:01

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up X Factor v Atkins

Sandy

I've not read the X Factor diet, but have just found the bit below on another website.

Linda Gray follows a diet high in Omega 3 oils found in olive oil and oily fish,lots of green leafy vegetables, moderate dairy products, no wheat, and no sugar. This eating plan is the focus of a new book by Leslie Kenton called the The X Factor Diet (Vermillion £9-99). It was written after scientists discovered Syndrome X as it is now called: that a high glucose diet creates dangerous fluctuations in insulin levels and impedes the liver proper metabolism of fats. This leads to high cholesterol, heart disease and diabetes, obesity and early ageing (New Scientist September 2001).

I would say that most low carb eating plans are similar, with their own various tweeks. With Atkins there is a 2 week induction where carbs are limited to less than 20 per day. This is a ketogenic diet and involves the burning of fat for energy rather than carbohydrates. After induction you gradually increase the number of carbs by 5 a day/ per week until weight loss slows to zero. In general most people have around 30 - 40 carbs a day once they have been on the plan for some time. Any meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese are allowed with the carbs mainly coming from green leafy vegetables. Some dairy is OK, cream but milk and yoghurt are not encouraged. Fruit is only allowed in moderation. Whilst no pasta, bread, potatoes, etc are allowed the aim is to get back to basic foods, away from processed foods, much of which contain added sugar. Coffee and the use of artifical sweetners are discouraged as these also stimulate insulin production.

Atkins originally wrote his book in the early 70s and most of those used today, Protein Power, Schwarzbein, etc are just others with a slightly different slant on this.

Although I started on Atkins, almost a year ago I read Protein Power and Schwarzbein earlier this year and they gave me a much better picture of what is happening inside my body and gave me the knowledge to diversify my eating plans accordingly.

Every success with the X Factor plan.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 07:49

Plan: X Factor
Stats: 168/168/140
BF:

Thanks Little Ann.

I think I will read Protein Power as well, I have heard a lot of good reports.

Thanks again for your reply,

SANDY
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 03:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/172/112 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Smile x Factor

indigo HI How are you doing with the x factor diet? Dont u find whey to go very expensive?