Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 08:25

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%
Default Still confused

and trying to figure this all out. I'm at 158 (I hope...not gotten on the scale since the carb loading last weekend), and my goal is 135. I've stalled and stalled and stalled, and am having trouble moving this weight along. I go out of ketosis when I exercise, and I rarely go back in now. I'm only at 30-35g a day, and am terrified that if I go higher I'll start gaining.

I'm also confused about the fat, calories, carbs thing because I'm so busy I can't count calories, but I do count my carbs.

Here's my menu, and below I'll post my exercise schedule, too:

Breakfast:
Leftobers....5-6oz lean meat, usually grilled (on outdoor grille).. I hate eggs. Homemade mayo to make up for the fat.. maybe 2tblsp.. sometimes more.
Salad or high carb veggie (always raw)

Snack: Atkins muffin (7g carbs)

Lunch:
5-6oz lean meat (we grill everything)
Homemade mayo again
large salad:
2C spinach, 1/2C red pepper, 1/3 small cucumber, olive oil and salt for dressing (not eating vinegar at the moment)
1/2 C mushrooms

Snack: 1oz macadamias or almonds

Dinner:
Looks a lot like lunch or breakfast! LOL

I've just finished carb loading because I was REALLY sick and couldn't function. I felt like I was dying, and I couldn't drag myself to the gym or even do dance practice most days. Horrible fatigue.

I've not had "exact" carbs each day this week (although I have limited and counted them to between 30g-35g a day) because I'm still trying to "shake things up" a bit.

I've only got 23 lbs to lose to hit goal, and my first 15lbs (from my stats) were lost on slimfast. I began Atkins in March.

Exercise schedule:
3hr dance practices (5 days a week)
Gym (4 days a week: 1/2hr cardio, 1/2hr weights)
Teaching dance 1.5hrs a day, 3 days a week

I've been wavering in and out of ketosis and haven't lost pounds or inches in weeks. Last amount I lost was 1 pound and it took me 2mos to lose it. I've been a slow loser on this plan, which would be okay if I'd lose a pound a week or so.

Am I eating too much fat?? I don't measure...but it's got to be 2-3T at a meal, not including the olive oil on the salads! I do grille, so the meat fat (most of it) is lost in cooking.

I can't find my CCL because of the stalls, and I'm really concerned that my carbs are so low! Do I up them regardless of no pounds or inches lost? What about the ketosis? Wavering in and out, and I do go completely negative after exercise (someone said that was normal). But I was neutral all day and last night, and neutral the day before.

What could be wrong? How do I now find my CCL, and move towards eventual pre-maintenance, etc?

So confused

sorry if the post sounds short and to-the-point.. I'm trying to save your eyes..and my wrists.

Thank you for your help..and you patience!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think that, since you 'carbed up' when you were sick, you have to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks of LCing.

I also think that you have to stop expecting to lose a certain amount per week, and change your mindset so that you don't mind if you only lose a pound a month if you are still on LC. The last pounds will certainy be lost very slowly. And you are getting pretty close to goal.

You could also be someone who actually loses better on a higher carb count IF those extra carbs are not sugar and starch. It's worth the experiment.

One can't say that a plan doesn't work if one hasn't followed what the plan says. And Atkins says to increase the good carbs until you are not losing. check out the menus in his books for ideas on what carbs to add for On-going Weight Loss. Good luck.

#3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 11:48

Default Adding carbs

thank you for your help! I've been adding carbs, but the thing is... I was too sick to do anything... sick as in no energy, feeling like I was dying from something... raising my arms to brush my hair made my muscles hurt, burn, etc. So that's when i did the carb up thing. Some people go back to induction after they carb up... but there was no way I could do that because I wasn't willing to get that sick again.

I've found so many people since this has happened to me that it's happened to as well, and every one of them felt instantly better with much higher carbs----like night and day. Most of these people are slow losers as well----even the ones with lots to lose. It's a strange phenomenon, but... I had to do something. Quality of life took a turn for the worse, even while I was still building my way up with the carbs looking for my CCL.

The whole thing just stumps me completely.

but thank you so much for your time and help.

Have a good one!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 21:02

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think that the answer might have been to do "some higher carbs" when you felt sick, rather than Much higher carbs. The initial carb withdrawal symptoms can include weakness, dizziness, fatigue, lassitude and even muscle pain and headache. Adding either potassium, calcium and magnesium, or just 5 - 10 grams more of the allowed carbs has almost magic effects on all those symptoms.

Induction may be too strict a regime for you. But I hope you kept to veggies for most of your carbs. If you went to starches and sugars, then you are back where you started from.

You might want to look into the book called Protein Power Plan. It is an offshoot of Atkins but it starts you at either 35 or 55 grams of protein per day, depending on how much yoy need to lose. Those levels may suit you better. And that's the important thing: find what suits you and your body.

There are a number of LC plans represented on this board. Look to the right of this thread for "Which LC plan is right for me" and go and read. I hope it helps.

#5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 05:09

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Another thought... are you taking your vitamins? Not taking supplements could possibly have a drastic effect on your overall well being.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 17:06

Hi, Talon:

Yes, I take lots of supplements. I've been working out since about 16yrs old, and have had access to personal trainers off and on over the last 10 years. This is what worried me the most, that I invested in good supplements (most of them Atkins.. to avoid unecessary ingredients), but still didn't feel so good.

I feel much better now--since carb loading, except for diarrhea all day (I've no idea why, but it's BAD)...but not losing weight or inches still.

Thanks for your concern.. it's very much appreciated. I'm sure eventually I'll figure this out----though I don't know how or when.

Have a super weekend!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 17:11

Smile Tofi

I've been past induction for quite some time now... and induction flu was over in the first couple of days of induction. The carb loading was definitely the difference, and I didn't indulge in junk, or even grains (except of an Atkins muffin once or twice during the weekend). I ate fruit and large salads...and I didn't experience any cravings or carb fatigue... just the opposite.

I began this program in March and have never really felt very good on it. I'm too active, I think, to keep my carbs so low, at least for my body anyway.

Thanks for the help and suggestion, though.

Hope your weekend is a good one!