Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 20:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/190/170
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Post-menapausal weight loosing

I am post menapausal and had breast cancer three years ago, so cannot take estrogen any longer. Can anyone give me their experiences with loosing weight on a low-carb diet under these circumstances? Thanks.....Marsha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: Kaufman, Atkins
Stats: 142/130/110
BF:22% or so
Progress: 38%
Default should be fine!

With your history of cancer low carb would be an excellent choice. Cancer has been shown under laboratory conditions to accelerate in growth tremendously when placed in a sugar medium to grow. So if you eliminate most of the refined sugars you will undoubtedly be doing yourself a favor.

You will want to keep eating plenty of the lower carb veggies for their protective antioxidant effects and other benefits.

I would steer clear of any supplement that might raise estrogen levels--DHEA and other OTC hormones for one. I don't know the others off of the top of my head--maybe other readers would know?

Also, I personally would steer clear of soy products. This is controversial though. Some experts feel that the effect of soy is protective because it binds receptors that otherwise would receive the "real" estrogen. However, others feel that the plant estrogens may in excess also be problematic--especially for someone with your history. Take a look at www.mercola.com

Marj