Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 09:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/188/160
BF:
Progress: 48%
Question How many eggs are too many

Hello Everyone,
I started induction Monday of this week and so far things are going very well. I have been doing BFL since January and had stalled, so I decided to try a lower carb plan. It seems to be working and pushing me through my plateau.

My questions is, How many eggs is too many?? Some days I end up eating 4 or 5 eggs. A couple of HB eggs for breakfast, and then maybe a frittata or scrambled eggs with meat and veggies for dinner. They are very handy and quick. Sometimes I do use egg beaters to cut down on the calories a bit. I have never had a cholesterol problem, but is this too many?

Thanks for your responses!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 09:35

Plan: Mostly atkins
Stats: 198/165/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:don't know
Progress: 57%

It looks like one hard boiled egg is 1.12 grams of carbs and 155 calories. So if your eating about 5 that is super low carbs and is about 775 calories.

So if your keeping your carbs under 20 or 30 it should be fine. For me personally, I also have to be careful of the calories. Cause add the 775 to the calories of my other meals, it really adds up. If I have a super high calorie day, I don't seem to lose as well.

just my thoughts... Anyone else have a rule of thumb here?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 11:37

BF:

Hi,
Thanks for your post. I'm not sure where you got your calorie info though. The info I have is that 1 large egg is about 76 calories and .6 carbs.

I guess I"m not worried about the calories so much as all the cholesterol and fat. Although I know I need to get past that "low-fat" mentality.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 12:42

Stats: 283.8/283.8/150
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wouldn't worry about the fat in eggs. I've also heard .6 gms per large egg. I usually eat about 2 eggs a day but on weekends it can be even more than that. I know its hard to get past the low fat mentality. Eggs are healthy though they have a great deal of protien in them.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 15:51

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

One of the hardest things for me to overcome was the anti- fat propaganda that has been drilled into my head lo these many years.
Here's what I found out, when you eat low carb, fats don't make you fat. Cholesterol is affected by diet in exactly the opposite way we've all been taught.
Here's 2 links www.sover.net/~timw/fat.htm and www.westonaprice.org.
Ever when the first low fat guidelines came out, there were plenty of researchers who thought it was dead wrong or at least noted there was no proof that it was right.
There's lots more research and info out there, a good deal of which is available through this board. Do your own checking
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 16:15

I looked up boiled eggs in the quick links to the right of this BB.

Total Carbohydrates 1.12 g

Dietary Fiber 0.00 g

Total Protein 12.58 g

Total Calories 155.00

Total Fat 10.61 g

Saturated Fatty Acids 3.267 g

Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids 1.414 g

Monounsaturated Fatty Acids 4.077 g

Cholesterol 424.000 mg

Water 74.62 g
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 16:20

BF:

Hi Colleen,

The link on the right does all it's measures per 100g of a food. So the the 155 calories was for 100 g of hard boiled egg - not for 1 egg. Most eggs don't weigh near that much. I think that makes it a bit confusing.

Alice
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 16:23

That IS confusing! Do you have a link to a better carb counter?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 16:35
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there folks,

I use www.fitday.com . They tend to default to strange amounts, eg they start with 1 cup eggs, but you can change the defaults.
Just a hint about eggs, on Fitday, search for "egg" rather than "eggs."

This thread, Fitday.com How to's has lots of useful tips.

And to answer Mabsence's original question, you can eat as many eggs as you like. I totally agree with Geekgirl and Bluesmoke - saturated fat only causes problems if you eat it with starches and sugars.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 22:13

Well, here is what I meant to point out about your question of how many eggs are too many?

I found out the hard way one day that I couldn't eat all the eggs that I wanted on top of a normal meal day. I gained 2 lbs from the whole experience, Yuck! Me personally, I would just watch how you incorporate the eggs into your total daily diet.
Just my 2 cents....

Atkins faq and answers says:

"There is no need to count calories. The Atkins Nutritional Approach counts grams of carbohydrates instead of calories. In Induction, you are allowed 20 grams of carbohydrates. When you progress to Ongoing Weight Loss, you gradually add carbohydrates in 5-gram increments as you move toward Pre-Maintenance, and finally to the Lifetime Maintenance phases of Atkins.
Although there is no need to count calories, they do count. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis (the body’s own heat production) and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than on a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet, so there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.

If you are used to counting calories and it makes you uneasy to not do so, know that women usually can safely consume 1,800 calories a day and still lose weight; men can typically take in 2,000 calories, and in some cases more."
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 17:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
That IS confusing! Do you have a link to a better carb counter?

The carb counter on this site is the USDA data base which is probably the best counter there is.

You can change the amount by clicking the arrow to the right of the item.

Karen