Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 06:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/170/145
BF:34%
Progress: 14%
Smile Weight Loss

Guys I have a question for you :-) Can anyone tell me why I am not losing weight but inches. I am now 168 I started out around 177 with a forty inch waist. My waist is a thirty five but my weight is coming off slow. I have been on Atkins for almost two weeks...is this normal for a nine pound weight loss...it seems slow to me. Maybe its all in my head :-) I am not a big carb counter its hard for me to count carbs for some reason I just hate writing everything down. I know I keep my carbs under 30 but I can keep them below 20. I don't know how you guys always have meal plans set up...I just wing it...I live with a man that counts junk food as a major food catergory..ya know the food pyramid has a junk food section :-) I swear once I get this extra twenty five off I won't put the darn weight back on its too much of pain...
God Bless
Amanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 10:14

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

CONGRADULATIONS on your weight loss and inches gone... They usualy say you dont loose weight and inches at the same time... I would be tickled to death about the inches gone.. I seem to do the same thing.. i loose more inches than weight at times... i rather have the inches gone anyday... Keep up the good work you are doing... You will go threw periods where you loose weight on the scale and then you will go threw periods where you loose inches instead... both are good... the inches are great they make your clothes feel loose and have to buy new ones
Keep it up

PS if you are loosing eating between the 20-30 you are doing good.. you dont want to go below 20 carbs a day... usualy the first two weeks your weight does come off faster then slows down some... the slower the better.. im down to loosing around 2 lbs a month now.. which is fine with me.. im still loosing inches and my clothes are getting looser... but i feel great... You will get there just take your time and enjoy the health benefits from your new way of life...

your friend
Tammy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 10:40
Registered Member

Stats: 183/182/140 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 2%
Unhappy

I've been on Atkins for two weeks and in ketosis most of that time. Yet I have lost only three pounds and about a half inch from all the places that I measure Talk about being a little discouraged! Any ideas as to how to speed this up?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:16
Registered Member

Stats: 228/205/140
BF:
Progress: 26%

B.....I am by no means an expert on Atkins. I've been in induction for six days. I'm still reading the book! Unfortunately I have not measured myself yet, which I need to do really soon. I'm thinking that a half-inch loss would be pretty good results for the induction period. I think I read in the book that average weight loss during induction for men is 8 pounds and 6 pounds for women. I'm wondering if you're drinking your 64 ounces of water everyday and if you kept your carb count at 20 for induction. Like I said, half inch sounds good to me! I'm sure there are mentors on here that could answer your question more thoroughly. Good Luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 269/256/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

As we all know everyone is different and different people loose at different rates.
Me for instance: I have been on Atkins' ( for the second go around) for 12 days I have lost 13 lbs. and 8 inches total....but now it seems as if that is coming to an abrubt end...like my metabolism is catching up to what I am doing to it....
So just stick with it!
Unless you show absolutely no results of any kind, in wieght or measurements, for 4 weeks or more.
Just press on and continue to make the "right" choices and it will happen.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 15:28

Stats: 223/222/170
BF:

If your discouraged read a few of my posts...or go and read my journel.. I hope it helps with your discouragement.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 16:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks so much for pointing me to your journal--I may be in your shoes after 3 weeks, but your determination really helps me to stay motivated. I'm still learning how to navigate this site so I'm not quite sure how I go to it, but I did and I enjoyed it and the responses you received.
Good luck to both of us!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 09:38
Registered Member

BF:

Hiya BDavis6426,

If you would like to read anyones journal you can go to one of thier posts and at the bottom there is a journal button...it will take you right were you want to go.....or you can go to journals and look them up by the first letter of thier name....

Hope I helped, Good luck and my journals always open too!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 10:01
Registered Member

BF:

I did go to your journal and I feel better that I am not the only one who gets a little discouraged. In one of your posts you mentioned the "right" ratio of fats, carbs and protein. Can you tell me what the ratio is supposed to be? I've started using Fitday today.
Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 10:16

Stats: 223/222/170
BF:

BDavis6426:
I am Not sure who you are responding too, about going to their journel..etc.. you need to post the name of the person or persons you are talking too.. To answer your question about ratios and calories her are a few guidelines.
Your calories should be 10X to 12 X you weight. Nothing less than 10X.
Ratios should be 70 to 75 % Fat... 2 to 5 % Carbs... 20 to 25% protein.
Drink 64 oz of water a day plus 8 oz for each 25 pound of weight loss required.. minimum..... the more water you drink , the better
While on induction no more than 20 g of carbs//15 would be better.... 10 g would probably Not be better...
The hardest part of this ratio profile is eating enough fat...maintaining the 70 to 75 % ratio.. put butter on everything,, use alot of mayoniase.. Using fitday.com will help you adjust your ratios..Make sure you count everything you eat.. in a few days it will go from a chore to being fun...you can also click on the reports to see how much calorie burn you have a day.. versa the about of calories you ingest..
Good Luck
Bill ( ET )
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 10:16
Registered Member

BF:

Calories you take in should be ~10x to 12x your current wieght.
Fat should be around 70% to 75%
Carbs should be around 2% to 5%
Protein should be around 20% to 25%

remember however that fiber grams should be subtracted from carbs..( they are "free" carbs) and fitday.com doesn't do this for you...or at least I have not figured out how to accomplish it on there yet...lol
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 12:08

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Amanda.....

I understand completely the desire to have All of the Weight Off NOW!! because I feel the same way. However....our bodies just don't work like that. It's a matter of evolution and the way that Mother Nature has taken care of us so that we wouldn't expire at the first sign of a famine.

The bottom line is that we really can't control how fast we are going to lose. The good news is that we can take charge of what passes our lips and tweak our LC plans to get the best results for each of us.

Reading through the journals of long term LCers will give you some inspiration to keep on keeping on. Though I've considered myself a very slow loser since the beginning, and in spite of several 3-6 week stalls, over the course of almost a year, I've lost 60+ pounds. (If you count in the muscle I've gained it's even more lost.)

And here is one more reason to be satisfied with weight loss being slow. Do you really want to lose fast and end up looking like this??????

Marlaine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharpei.jpg (17.6 KB, 112 views)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 15:38

Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

Maismore, when you consider that you only had to lose 29 pounds to reach your goal, 11 pounds during induction is fantastic!!!!
Good for you!! You are almost a third of the way to goal!!!!

Keep your eyes on the total picture, you are doing way above the average person.
I don't write down my carbs, I just keep an running total in my head for the day. Writing down everything and figuring out ratios is not for me. I guess some work better that way, but I like to keep things simple.

I understand living with non LCers....My DH and DS. My DH puts nearly a half cup of sugar on his raisen bran cereal and can eat anything and not gain weight. Son is only 10, but seems to have the same tendencies as his dad.

Keep up the good work!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg signguardian.jpg (12.3 KB, 83 views)