Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 06:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Angry So bummed out!

I spoke to my sister with the B.S.N. and she gave me a huge lecture about the evils of the Atkins diet.
She thinks it is the worst diet in the world especially for diabetics like me as we are already predisposed to kidney disease.
I told her how good I feel and her reply was "wait, you will have long term damage that may not appear for years"
I must admit that freaked me out a little.
I asked her the difference between the diabetic diet and this diet she felt that the diabetic diet was more well rounded and not so high in protein.
I am so bummed and feel a trip the McDonalds coming on....

Last edited by shelley : Wed, May-16-01 at 07:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 07:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: So bummed out!

Quote:
Originally posted by shelley
I told her how good I feel and her reply was "wait, you will have long term damage that may not appear for years"
I must admit that freaked me out a little.
I asked her the difference between the diabetic diet and this diet she felt that the diabetic diet was more well rounded and not so high in protein.
I am so bummed and feel a trip the McDonalds coming on....

Hmm, didn't you say she has a degree in BS? That's exactly what she gave you, pure BS. She doesn't have any scientific facts to support her claim, so the only argument is voodoo! Tell her to visit our site and click on the "Studies" section, so she can read some research in support of the low-carb way. And by the way, our ancestors have followed this WOL for thousends of years as hunters/gatherers. So technically we have waited much more than the new low-fat/low-cal fads.

Cheer up

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 07:40

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Aw Shelly, don't be bummed out.

Where is her documentation that says it is bad. Ask her where she got her information at. Make her do some work for a change and have her research it.

I have "heard" it's bad, but I have yet to see one scientific study done that proves it's bad. And if they can't prove it, the people that say it's bad are talking out of their butt.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 07:52

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:

Its okay!! Tell her you will get of the diet when she can produce facts...not opinions...that show that this diet is bad. She worried about you. Don't let it get you down! I know your body has to be telling you this is right. Feeling this healthy is a blessing. How’s you insulin levels? Have they gotten better? You know a friend of mine that had diabetes did the low-fat diet...she lost a TON of weight, but she had so much trouble with her insulin it was unreal! She was in and out of the hospital...and even picked up by the cops because they though she was drunk...not to mention she drove threw someone’s garage and thought she was still driving on the road when they found her...foot still pushing the gas. I've send the positive things that low-carbs has to offer diabetics. Trust your gut! I found something yesterday from CNN about this...I'm going to see if I can find it for you!

SMILE!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 07:56

Plan: Diabetes Control/own adaptation
Stats: 343/270/ 200
BF:
Progress:
Default Follow your heart

Since I don't know the ins and outs of Atkins diet, personally, but I DO know the exchange program that the American Diabetes Association aproves, and being insulin resistant type 2 diabetic myself, I know that the lower the carbos, the lower the blood sugar levels. I would think that your numbers should be really good. Blood doesn't lie. Maybe you could rub your sister's nose in THOSE numbers .

All the information that I have read about diabetes says that the closer attention you pay to your diet, the less likely you are to have the complications associated with diabetes. The ADA recommends a diet that is very low in carbos, which helps regulate the sugars in your system, and helps those who are insulin dependant control their injections better, and those like me to be able to use the insulin that we have more effectively, how can it be bad for you?

You are taking control. Don't give up.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 09:20

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Talking

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/
here check out this link...there a book there also about low-carbs and Diabetes {if I read it right he himself has it}
Anything worth having is worth fighting for!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 06:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thanks for the support everyone!
I guess I have to stop listening to everyone and do what is best for me.
The so called "safe" low fat diet gave me gallbladder disease!
Drats! I really blew it yesterday. Cried and ate.......
I feel better now, back to my original plan.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 06:30

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Sometimes a good cry is needed

Glad you are back with us and not listening to others!

Keep up the great loss!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 08:11

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

i've got gallstones too but I suspect it was the previous 10 years of abuse that kicked them off and anyway, who needs a gallbladder!!

I have been scouring the net for anything to do with diabetes, glycaemic and insulin indices and I can tell you that most of the 'diabetic' information on the web via the supposed experts is just rubbish. I have only found one bit of research that tends to suggest that low carbing may not be good for diabetics, outside of that, there are just pages and pages of OPINION ... Did you know that psychologically speaking - 70% of people will believe what you tell them! Thus if you say it often enough, everybody believes it and they accept it as gospel, often not even giving passing consideration to the logic of the thing. A so called expert pronounces his opinion, it is rewritten and rehashed all over the place and before you know it, its gospel.

I think the book rainny is talking about is the Dr Bernstein one? I read the chapters available on the web and it is so obviously true besides echoing the findings of various others such as Atkins & the Eades.

From what I can gather, four things will help in managing diabetes - lowering overall carbohydrate load (gms of carbs), trying to eat carbohydrates with a low or very low, GI (although the jury is still a little out on this) weight loss and exercise. Apparently one session of exercise can favourably influence your blood sugar for up to 24 hours!!

Stick with it. My husband works with a young guy who has type I diabetes who is slowly killing himself. He really believes that by eating all these corn bread and other major carbs that he is doing the right thing because thats what the ADA says to do. Meanwhile he keels over at work, walks into things and his eyesight is now failing. Its so sad and so unnescesary.

As to your sister, you know what they say - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....in my experience, there are few people more blinkered than the medical establishment (sorry Doreen) and having 2 in the family, I can say this!

Nicola
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 08:53

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Hi:
Ask your sister what she recommends for people with hypoglicemia. You may be surprised at her answer. In fact ask her for a hypoglicemic diet sheet and compare it to what you are doing now. Kristy.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 19:16

Plan: Diabetes Control/own adaptation
Stats: 343/270/ 200
BF:
Progress:
Default gall bladder disease

Is this really a result from the WOE?

I had gall bladder disease for years, and eventually had stones, and had to have my gall bladder removed. Guess it's safe for me to do this diet then*G*. I had my problems with my gall bladder several years before I started the low carbo diet.

Follow your heart, and do what makes you feel best. For me, this WOE makes me feel good, and will help me to live a long healthy life, that I couldn't do without it.