Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 02:40

Plan: Atkins- not eating ANY carbs
Stats: 136.5/134.3/123.3
BF:
Progress: 17%
Unhappy A week and a half and nothing is happening!

I started the Atkins diet for the first time last Sunday. I have been working out twice a week and my ketone sticks show dark pink- purple color, but I only lost 2 pounds!
Is that normal? Aren't you supposed to lose weight rapidly during the first 2 weeks? I have been eating Atkins Bars and drinking the protein shakes. Does that have any affect of slowing down the pace?
Please help, I fear I am about to lose my ability to keep the diet so strict if I don't see any results soon. Needless to say that my cloths look exactly the same on me..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 02:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Re: A week and a half and nothing is happening!

Hello Maya.

2 pounds is a fine start. There are people who haven't even lost a pound for months then suddenly lose ALOT of pounds at once. Your body still could be adjusting to the idea of low carb. You don't have to lose that much, so it wouldn't lose as fast as some people.

I'm not sure about shakes but I do know that the bars have lots of hidden carbs. It could create stalls, maybe that is the reason for you, I don't know.

Even if the clothes look the same are you sure you didn't lose some inches?

Good Luck on your new WOL

Last edited by SooCee : Thu, Aug-15-02 at 02:55.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 05:24
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

My suggestion is to ditch the Atkins bars and shakes, stay with whole foods as much as humanly possible. Your profile says you're eating NO carbs which is not what the plan calls for.... you should be eating at least a large salad every day or a salad and a serving of high-nutrition vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, etc) for maximum results from your induction program. Are you drinking at LEAST 64 oz of water every single day?

FYI, you're already ahead of the weight loss curve.... you can expect to lose 10% of your desired weight loss during induction and you've already lost more than that. After induction you can expect 5% per month. It is simply a fact that the closer you are to goal, the slower it comes off. Your body also may choose a different weight as its "ideal weight" than your idea of what that is....and it may stay there for quite some time, no matter what you do. If you hang around this board long enough or read enough about the science weight loss and metabolism, you'll learn more about that concept. I'm not saying that to discourage you, but rather to help you have more patience with your body.

Hope this helps!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 06:08

Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%

Oh yes I forgot to say, you say you are not eating ANY carbs. Not eating enough could cause stalls- Just as Teri said. You should get in about 20 g every day.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 06:41

Stats: 223/222/170
BF:
Progress: 2%

MayaJ:
Wecome to Lcarbing way of life. Obviously you have not read the book. for 8 dollars it is a good investment in your future..You can read the first few chapters on induction.. you dont have to read it al at once.. but basically you need to have 15 to 20 g of carbs a day .. mostly from veggies.. you need to eat 10 X to 12X your weight in calories nothing less than 10X.. you need to drink a minimum of 64 oz of water... the fat to protein to carbs ratio should be around 70 to 75 % fat.... 20 to 25 % protein... 2 to 5 % carbs...
No caffine, no more than 4 oz of cheese, no sweetners other than Splenda...
Dont get discourage you do not have that much to lose... your thoughts on no carbs is not a quicker or better way to lose weight.. it is the proper ratio of fat carbs and protein.. too littlre can hurt you.
If your discouraged , take a look at my posts, or my journel..
you can go to fitday.com and find the food you are eating and the calories ,fats , carbs , and protein they contain.. you can keep a record of your progress there.. it is a very valuable tool..
Hang in there this is a life style change..
Dont worry about the ketostrips or the scale..
Good Luck and Keep L-carbing
Bill ( ET)