Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 15:13

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 165/165/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Ketostix

My ketostix have only been lightly pink once or twice and then go to neg. for a long time i'm in the 11 day of atkins and was wanting to know if this is normal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 21:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/200/190 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Talking Not gloating : just a tip

I've been doing LC for 5 days now and I've been pretty strict about my carb intake (well, very strict about the carbs, but I've had a few diet sodas). The ketostix weren't changing color at all. I wasn't going to obsess about them, then next thing I know I'm testing them every time I'm in the bathroom. I didn't see any change until a couple mintues ago. I'll tell you how.

I'm a guy, so the physics of how I take the sample are different, but maybe you could work on your technique. I had been putting the stick into the path of the stream (sounds oddly like Ghostbusters), counting till 15, and seeing no change. I did the same again, and again, no change. After I was done, I decided to try getting a drip rather than the full force (sorry for the graphic description, but hey). Right after it turned a solid purple. Its was at the high end of moderate. Keep in mind, these 2 readings were in the same "session", about 30 seconds apart. One completely negative and one that's almost got me worried because it was such a strong positive.

Clearly this isn't an exact science. I was asking about the ketostix last night and basically heard that many people don't bother with them and still lose weight fine. Its just something else to obsess over. However, I like something in black and white (or peach and purple) that says its working.

To the more experienced folk, am I doing something wrong with the sticks?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 08:44

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 165/165/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Hey Bonko, Thanks for the tips- I'll be sure and give it a try next time! I try not to obsess about it but you know how that goes Between my scale and stix I'm not sure which one is worse-Thanks again - Good Luck Keep in touch and let me know how your progress is going! I'm a little frustrated right now because I have not lost much but I won't give up until I do
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 08:57

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Lisa -

Doreen has written a whole tips section on ketone strips here

Hope this helps!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 10:03

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hey, Bonko....I believe that Ketostix measure the concentration of ketones in the urine specimen...perhaps your method is getting the last, more concentrated bit of urine.

I have tried using the sticks several times over a couple of years, and no matter how "on plan" I think I've been, I rarely see any change, and only to Trace if it does change. I have lost weight in spite of that.

I am starting over now, and leaning toward Atkins, so I wish I could see a nice, obvious change to spur me on! I actually do not think I can manage the gymnastics required to try your system, though.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 18:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/200/190 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Concentration

The concentration must be higher. Otherwise I'd think my body was going nuts. The concentration itself means much less than the fact that any is showing, I would think. I had the same effect today. I tried it right when I got home, which was fairly diluted (ie. really had to go), and saw no change. A little later I thought I'd test the theory, and sure enough, it changed. Not as strong though.

Oddly enough, I tried the sticks this morning and saw nothing. I thought that was odd. I hadn't eaten anything between the strong reading and this mornings.

While there may be some gymnastics involved, if you want a little validation you might want to try it and just see what happens. I mean, you only need one positive. My concern originally was that nothing at all was happening. I would like to think that I would've stuck it out without the sticks, but it makes it easier when you can see something is happening.

However, I think you can clearly be in Ketosis without the sticks saying so. While I like the sticks (I like them now anyway), we'd probably be better off if we didn't know about them.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 12:12

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I've been re-reading my Atkins second edition, and I think I'm gonna try the "Fat Fast" plan he describes. You eat nothing but the equivalent of cream cheese and macadamia nuts for two days to see if you ever go into ketosis, as measured by the Ketostix. He says it is not a way to lose fat fast, but is a fast modified by fat, so I don't expect to just whoosh weight away on this. It lasts two days, or if you really, really love it, you can stay on it longer. Can't imagine more than a week of this!!!

I'd just like to see that I actually do get there! Otherwise, I'll have to accept that I am simply extremely metabolically resistant. Groannnnnnnn.........