Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 16:04
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%
Default Short waisted: Can someone define the term?

I was reading a thread the other day, and someone listed their measurements, including "at waist", and "at the navel". I realized that my navel is pretty much in my "waist" (where I would wear a belt, or expect my jeans, which are not low riders, to button). My mother made most of my clothes, and she used to say that according to dress patterns, I was "short waisted".

I'm just curious as to whether there is a way to measure this. All I know is that I am still apple shaped even now that I am in the somewhat normal weight range. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 16:16
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Kay,
I don't have an answer, I'm just here to muddy the waters.

I always assumed that a woman's waist was the narrowest part of her torso. Mine is above my navel. (In fact, I take measurements at my waist, belly button, "bagel" (gut), and hips -- 4 different places.)

My much-younger sister laughed at me a couple of years ago because the waist of my jeans was so high. (I was wearing an old pair of Lee's.) I told her that, believe it or not, women's jeans used to be made to sit at the waist. She told me that her waist was at her belly button and I was "shortwaisted like Mom." (Our mother's waist is right under her breasts; mine is not.)

My sister and I debated without consensus. I maintain that where your actual waist sits is a physical fact and that fashions my fall above, at, or below it, but your waist will always be in the same place. My sister feels that the fit of her (always stylish) jeans dictates where her waist is at the moment.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 17:13

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I am also short-waisted. My body length is shorter than average, although my leg length is average. The “rise” measurement, from the center of the crotch (the same point you would measure down from for inseam length) to the natural waist (the narrowest point of your torso) is a standard 11 inches (on regular, non low or medium-rise pants). On me, this rises above my natural waist and the waistband of my pants have a tendency to roll down when I am sitting. Jackets and sweaters are usually long on me so I shop in petites for my top half.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 18:44

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

According to the dictionary definition, 'short waisted' is defined as where the distance between shoulders and waist is shorter than average.

Quote:
I always assumed that a woman's waist was the narrowest part of her torso.

Me too - that is always where I take my 'waist' measurement from. However, I do also measure at my belly-button level as well.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 18:52
Give chance a chance

Thanks, everyone. I'm off to measure my "rise". Wonder what the "average" distance between shoulders and waist is?

Kay
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 19:08

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I think it isn't about specific measurements, but proportions. Measure the distance from your armpit to your waist, then measure the distance from your waist to the bottom of your butt. If the armpit-waist number is smaller than the waist-butt number, you are short-waisted. Mine is about 3" smaller (10" vs. 13" on a 5'6" woman - I don't know what is average though). And my jeans definitely look better when they sit a few inches below my actual waist - gives the illusion of a longer waist.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 19:10

BF:

An interesting discussion here, which might help
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 19:15
Give chance a chance

Thank you, Grimalkin, I think we're closing in on it here. I seem to have misplaced my tape measure at the moment, but I'm sure it will turn up.

Quote:
And my jeans definitely look better when they sit a few inches below my actual waist - gives the illusion of a longer waist.

That's fine for standing up, but if I wear jeans that way, then my belly flops out over the top of the jeans when I sit down.

Demi: Do you happen to know what book they are talking about in that link? (not that I'm all that fashion minded, but a few hints couldn't hurt)

Kay

Last edited by TarHeel : Mon, Dec-29-03 at 19:20.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 19:46

BF:

Kay,

The book is What Not to Wear by Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine - from their UK TV series of the same name - see here for more about the programme.

Hope that helps - the BBC website is particularly helpful if you don't want to buy the book.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 19:58

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
That's fine for standing up, but if I wear jeans that way, then my belly flops out over the top of the jeans when I sit down. Kay

Yah, me too, no matter where the waistline is. It's mostly a problem when I tuck things in, but a "normal" waistline looks more stupid on me and gouges me in the ribs too when I sit. But I have seen a tip somewhere that you can match your belt to your top color to give the illusion of a longer waist.

This might help: http://www.geocities.com/WestHollyw.../6448/page5.htm

Although I think the size chart at the bottom is totally obsolete now that vanity sizing has taken hold. According to that I should wear a 13/14, but I actually wear 8/9. But my old patterns from when I sewed ARE in larger sizes.

I love this suggestion from Demi's link:
Quote:
Get a good bra and hike your tits up high -- you'll literally be increasing the distance betwee your bust & yuour waist, so it'll make your waist look longer.

#11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 21:03
Give chance a chance

Demi:

from Amazon's more product info or whatever it's called:

""Cropped pants make any woman look like a stunted man."

If you're only 5 feet tall, cropped pants are the only ones out there these days that don't trip you up.Petite doesn't cut it . Petite pant lengths usually stop at 28" inseams. I need at least a 27" inseam, and that's in pants that shrink when washed.

And I really should plunk my money down and invest in a good bra. I've been sewing the strap "adjusters" down in the shortest notch, but so far, it's: Tits 80, bras 40. The tits still go southward while the back of the bra rides up to my shoulder blades. Cheap bras, I guess. Or 60 year old tits.....

But really, all this has been helpful. At least in an informative way. Mostly I have just decided that I am short all over. For example, I have to turn down a regular turtleneck about three times in order to breath. A mock turtleneck reaches all the way to my chin.

Except for Birkenstocks, I wear children's sized shoes, as they tend to be wider. So you can imagine what a fashion plate I am.

Kay, the amazing stunted man
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 11:56

BF:

LOL Kay

However, I'm sure you look fine

BUT, the right sized bra really can make a difference - whether it's a cheap one or expensive. It's the fit that counts.

Having seen the 'What Not To Wear' show a number of times, it's always amazing the difference that a well-fitting bra makes.

There's a great explanation here for finding the right size and some trouble shooting tips - just ignore the leather and kinky sections (or not, if you prefer)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 01:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm long waisted and short legged. I have trouble finding pants that aren't waaay to long. I tried on a beautiful pair of paints to day that were at least 6 inches too long! I hate always have to buy the short ones.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 00:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Oh, you all are a hoot! Yes, long-waisted, short-waisted--it can be so interesting, can't it?

I'm 5'6" with a 34" inseam. Hubby's pants (he's 5'9") were way short on me when I could actually fit into them. And the thin part of my waist is at my belly button. Oldest DD, on the other hand, has her belly button at least an inch below the in-curve of her waist. Now I'm curious--I really should measure her inseam (she's 5'4").
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 07:26
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I think I am very short waisted. The smallest part of my waist is way above my bellybutton right under my ribs (over the lovehandles)

I looked at the bra site (I was hoping to find a sexy leather bra but I didnt see any -frowns- lol) It seems I am measuring correctly.

My body is weird I think. Always has been.

on a side note, I dis wonder if a good leather bra would offer more support than the ones I wear now. I need all the support I can get!