Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 09:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs down Newsweek : It?s Not the Carbs, Stupid!

It?s Not the Carbs, Stupid

Researchers are finding that constant exposure to fat and sugar can cause some humans to crave them as they do an addictive drug

By Ellen Ruppel Shell

NEWSWEEK

Aug. 5 issue ? In the mid-19th century, William Banting first popularized the low-carbohydrate weight-loss plan that has once again grabbed the media?s collective attention. Banting was a well-meaning London undertaker who grew so fat in middle age that he could not descend a staircase face first, for fear of being toppled by his copious paunch.

HIS FRIEND AND physician, the noted British aural surgeon William Harvey, prescribed a regimen focused on meat, small amounts of fruit and liberal lashings of Claret, sherry and madeira, which helped Banting drop 35 pounds in 38 weeks. Delighted by this result, Banting printed the diet at his own expense and distributed 2,500 free copies. The diet was so popular that when he died in 1878 nearly 60,000 additional copies had been sold at sixpence apiece. ?Bantingism? became synonymous for dieting, ?bant? common usage for losing weight, and Bantinga legend.

Banting?s plan has resurfaced in many forms over the years, more than a few of them best sellers. Most recently the Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution?a 30-year-old scheme?has gotten the buzz. Atkins?s claim is that carbohydrates, not fat, are to blame for the ballooning of Americans. But this theory loses credibility when one considers that while Atkins?s book was selling 10 million copies, obesity blossomed into a full-blown epidemic.

The discovery of the obesity gene in humans half a decade ago offered evidence that chronic weight gain is at its heart biological, the consequence of a mismatch between nature and nurture. Simplistic explanations, such as blaming obesity on a drop in fat consumption, ignore scientific reality. In countries like India and China, obesity was virtually unknown until the introduction of a high-fat, Western-style diet.

One well-known reason for this is that dietary fat converts to body fat more efficiently than does protein or carbohydrate, but recently scientists have uncovered what appears to be an equally important factor. Peter Havel, of the University of California, Davis, and Michael Schwartz, of the University of Washington, Seattle, are investigating the possibility that high levels of fat and fructose are mucking up our brain chemistry, and thereby muting the signals that would normally tell us to put down the fork. These signals are produced by peptides, which are regulated by a number of hormones, namely insulin, leptin and ghrenlin. Under normal conditions these hormones help maintain a stable body weight by adjusting levels of the peptides that control eating. But a diet loaded with fat and fructose hampers the regulation of these hormones. Complicating matters still further, Schwartz says, is that the brain loses its ability to respond to these hormones as body fat increases?so the obese are doubly penalized.

Other researchers are finding evidence that constant exposure to fat and sugar can cause some humans to crave them as they do an addictive drug. A Princeton University psychologist recently showed that rats fed a high-sugar diet were, when the sugar was removed, thrown into a state of anxiety similar to that seen in withdrawal from morphine or nicotine. Sarah Leibowitz, a neurobiologist at Rockefeller University, believes that frequent exposure to fatty foods may configure the brain to crave still more fat. She has shown in animal studies that galanin, a brain peptide that simulates eating behavior and decreases energy expenditure, increases when the animal eats a high-fat diet.

There are many factors contributing to the explosion of obesity in the United States, and the world, but the radical changes in the composition of our diet are first among them. While scientific work in this arena is in its infancy, it?s already clear that varying the amount of fat and other nutrients in the diet affects brain chemistry by activating certain genes, and this in turn directs our dietary preferences. By submitting ourselves to a steady dose of highly processed, sweet, high-fat foods, we have unwittingly entered into a dangerous experiment, the long-term consequences of which are only now beginning to surface.

Shell is author of ?The Hungry Gene: The Science of Fat and the Future of Thin,? to be published this fall by Atlantic Monthly Press.

© 2002 Newsweek, Inc.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/786642.asp?cp1=1
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 10:10
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question I'm curious about something...

Before I was a low carber, I used to have constant cravings for chips, ice cream, french fries, etc. I never had a craving for just butter or fat. It was always a carb with the fat. And if I couldn't have the butter on the bread, I would just want the bread!

Since being on low carbing, I never had a craving for fat. I do for sweets but never fats. Is this common?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 10:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Other researchers are finding evidence that constant exposure to fat and sugar can cause some humans to crave them as they do an addictive drug. A Princeton University psychologist recently showed that rats fed a high-sugar diet were, when the sugar was removed, thrown into a state of anxiety similar to that seen in withdrawal from morphine or nicotine. Sarah Leibowitz, a neurobiologist at Rockefeller University, believes that frequent exposure to fatty foods may configure the brain to crave still more fat. She has shown in animal studies that galanin, a brain peptide that simulates eating behavior and decreases energy expenditure, increases when the animal eats a high-fat diet.

How on earth do they get from quote a research on sugar withdraw to stating that a high-fat diet is the same?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:56

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
But this theory loses credibility when one considers that while Atkins?s book was selling 10 million copies, obesity blossomed into a full-blown epidemic.
And how many people are there in the USA? A lot more than 10 million, I dare say.

So the question begs asking: How can they blame the balooning of America on a book that sold to only a small percentage of the population? And how do they know that everyone who bought the book followed the plan? The list goes on....

;-Deb
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 20:44
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
But this theory loses credibility when one considers that while Atkins?s book was selling 10 million copies, obesity blossomed into a full-blown epidemic.

That is the most outragous statement I've ever seen. Mabye 10 millions tried Atkins, but the whole nation was doing low fat when the obesity epidemic started. But yet it must be Atkins who is causing the epidemic. Haul him up before congress again!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 04:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just because 10 million people bought the book doesn't meant hat 10 million people changed their WOE for life. You can lead a horse to water......
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 05:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

So, who is the Stupid one here? Ms. Ellen Shell either thinks:

1) the Atkins Diet promotes sugar, which she states is dangerous. If so, she hasn't read the book!

2) she think sugar and carbs are different things?

3) she thinks sugar and fats are the same, and studeis on sugar, can be appleid scientifically to fats?

Whichever one of the above she thinks, it's a real shame that she had to expose her ignorance in a press release to promote her upcoming book, I really feel sorry for her, for a bad choice of a publicity peice. Are we now supposed to look for her book to be educated on the obesity gene, or just for laughs?

The funniest part is this quote, which Talon pointed out:

Quote:
Other researchers are finding evidence that constant exposure to fat and sugar can cause some humans to crave them as they do an addictive drug. A Princeton University psychologist recently showed that rats fed a high-sugar diet were, when the sugar was removed, thrown into a state of anxiety similar to that seen in withdrawal from morphine or nicotine.

This is the perfect example of bad science Gary Taubes was talking about!

The alternative to stupidity here, is data manipulation. Act as if sugar consists of fat not carbs, and that 10 million copeis of a book has more impact than a low-fat propaganda that is pushed down by the governments and the diet industry. Now she'd have you beleive that everyone since the 70's including your doctor was urging you to eat low-carb, with lots of TV commercials against low-fat?!?! She probably repeated this so much that she really thinks it's true?

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 06:11

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

To be honest the title of this inflamed me. I read her article...and well...I believe she is the stupid one. She is one of those people that needs "Idiot" tatooed to her forehead to warn people that there is zero thought process happening between the ears.

I do know I will NOT be buying a certain book when it comes out due to the fact that the person that wrote it is a dimwit.

*mumbles* sugar and fat my arse.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 08:03

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Atkins’s claim is that carbohydrates, not fat, are to blame for the ballooning of Americans. But this theory loses credibility when one considers that while Atkins’s book was selling 10 million copies, obesity blossomed into a full-blown epidemic.

I simply can't resist repeating some of the same comments made by others above. Ninty-five percent of the people have not purchased the book, but Ellen blames their obesity on the five percent who did read the book. DUH!!!

Many of the pro-carb nutritionists distort scientific truth in an attempt to keep people from eating meat (animals). They have a religious agenda that clowds their thinking. They should just live their own lives and stop telling the lies. However, Ellen Ruppel Shell has shown she has an additional problem. Her article shows she is just plain STUPID. I don't know how one deals with someone this dumb.

Congratulations Ellen for having a job.

Kent
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 08:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 207/196/180
BF:27/23.6/15
Progress: 41%
Thumbs down

I joined this website (or collection of fora, or whatever) so that I could add my own comments about the "article" that appeared in Newsweek. I agree that Shell is either stupid or that she can't or won't read.

Anyone who has read--or even skimmed-- the first 60 or so pp. of Dr. Atkins' newest edition will be able to see that Shell is practically slandering the good Dr, by saying--not implying--that his program encourages heavy eating of fats _and_ sugar/sucrose.

I hope that the Atkins people expose this lie. Newsweek, for its part, ought to be ashamed of themselves for not checking out what has been correctly described here as a self-advert for an upcoming and rival book.

This isn't even "bad science" in the Gary Taubes sense of the word: it's dishonest, illogical....Better stop.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 16:23

Stats: 196/162.4/150
BF:
Progress: 73%
Angry Stupid Article

I also registered for this forum just so I can rant about this STUPID article! I just read the magazine today, and agree with what everyone else has said about it. I am so tired of the deliberate misinformation and prejudice against low-carbohydrate "diets," I just want to scream or hit something!

(this will suffice)

G.P.
(I've been lurking for a long time--it's good to finally say something!)
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 14:25

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Atkins VS CALP

#13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 14:26

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Atkins VS CALP

Quote:
I do know I will NOT be buying a certain book when it comes out due to the fact that the person that wrote it is a dimwit.

AMEN!!

I find it interesting that Atkins gets such a bad rap from a lot of "intellegent" people, but when I say I am doing CALP I never hear how bad it is for me, or how my kidneys will fail....ect, ect.

( I posted my comments and it came up twice, tried to delete it and couldn't. Sorry about the duplicates.)

Libby

Last edited by Libbyfcr : Thu, Aug-01-02 at 14:34.