Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 06:16

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 153/150/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default dazed and confused

Woke up this morning feeling fusterated, thinking about giving it all up. Had some cold chicken, and a cup of tea instead. I was hoping to see some results fast, and mostly I'm just dazed these last few days. Is that normal? Not feeling headachy really, but then again I never had a problem with wanting potatoes (yuck), chips, or even bread. My weakness has always been sugar. I have a terrible sweet tooth!! Which can be a real problem, especialy when i (although having the benifit of working in a meat department) work right next to a bakery, and have to sniff THAT all day! Actualy the only thing i see Aitkin doeing for me so far is curbing those sugar cravings. The smells wafting at me from work are'nt nearly as temping these last few days. Is this dazed unfocused feeling normal, and will it go away??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 08:24
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Hi Sugar!

Yes, some people do report that dazed feeling for a few days. It's all a part of the carb-withdrawal list of symptoms and should clear up soon. Just want to make sure you're doing a few things, though:

1) Are you drinking enough water? 64-80 oz is essential.

2) If you're not doing so already, you need to be taking a potassium supplement (400 mg) because the diuretic effect of LCing depletes your stores... it may help with your dazed feelings. (Do not take potassium if you have high blood pressure, however.)

3) Take a good multivitamin, and a calcium-magnesium supp. too

4) Get plenty of rest.... 8 hrs/night.

You don't have much weight to lose, so be aware that it will not come off as rapidly as those who need to lose 50-100 lbs. During induction you can expect to lose 10% of your desired weight loss; after induction you can expect 5% per month.

Good luck to you and let us know how you're doing!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 08:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi there sugar free,

I've moved your post to the Newbie's Questions section ... it would've been lost in the outer regions of the main Bootcamp forum

It's only been a few days, patience is key. Induction is 14 days long for a reason ... your body has some adjusting to do. Plus, it's normal to lose weight in spurts ... go several days no loss, then whoosh, a couple pounds are off. You don't have a lot of weight to lose in the first place, so you won't see the same spectacular results as a tall young man needing to lose over 100 lbs.

Have you taken your measurements? Many folks will see the fat loss in inches first, before the scale shows a loss of lbs. Are your clothes a bit looser? These are better gauges of your success.

The spacey feeling is likely due to your body ridding itself of carbs and switching over to burning ketones as fuel. It gets better Another thing, are you taking any supplements? A good super multi-vitamin & mineral would be helpful, as well as potassium, calcium and magnesium. Low-carbing, especially in the early stages, causes increased urine loss ... and you should be drinking lots and lots of water to help keep your system flushed as well. However, the increased water output also means some potassium and magnesium especially are being lost as well. Taking extra of these important minerals will help with the spacey feeling.

I know you originally posted this question in the general Bootcamp/Journal section, but it might be helpful for you to start an actual journal in the "S" section there. You can list your menus, exactly what you're eating .. and folks can give you helpful feedback and encouragement.

Good luck to you

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 08:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
...(Do not take potassium if you have high blood pressure, however.)
This is wise advice ...

Just a note though, potassium is actually very helpful for high blood pressure. The caution is when you're taking certain medications to treat it, since they might cause you to retain potassium, and levels could build up. These medications include ACE inhibitors (enalipril, captopril etc) and some potassium-sparing diuretics such as spironolactone. Always check with your doctor or pharmacist first before taking potassium supplements.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 14:49
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

good catch Doreen.... thanks!