Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 07:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/177/167
BF:
Progress: 68%
Unhappy help! sore throat - what to do?

Hoping someone has a quick answer - I work from home and my throat is killing me. I won't be able to get out to go to the store for the next 6-8 hours and don't have time to search and browse thru other posts for an answer.

What can I do/take? Obviously no Halls cough drops (right? do they have sugar? I don't have the bag.) I do NOT want to mess up my weight loss but it is so hard to swallow!

ANY suggestions?

TIA,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 07:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/235/190
BF:
Progress: 49%

I would gargle with salt water if I had a sore throat

Jeff
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:10

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Lightbulb

Hi:

Gargling with salt water is a good idea. I had a friend, who was an R.N., who swore gargling with vinegar diluted in water would cure a sore throat. I would look into taking echinnacea for it. It's helps fight the infection and takes down inflammation (pain). Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:22

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi: Take one plain old aspirin and crush and dissolve in warm water and gargle with it.

Also another aproach is if you have any whiskey in the house gargle with it and spit it out. I always use this one and do it every 4 hours and trust me your sore throat will be gone the next day.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 14:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/177/167
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default thanks!!

Thanks so much for the help. I've been gargling as needed all morning and it's working great. Not only that, it's free!

#6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 16:16

Stats: 132.5/127/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default sore throats....yuck

hey sroo...I've got a sore throat too today because I am 3 days to a holiday of course. Only have Bailey's Irish Cream to gargle with chuckle chuckle. Well, hey its a coating of sorts...Like Pepto Bismal. Kidding. Salt water...here I come.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 19:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Salt water gargle. My DH swears by it, but it makes me gag (of course, gargling in general makes me gag). Mix 1 tsp. of salt into a glass (8 oz. or so) of warm water and gargle with it. DO NOT swallow it! Repeat as necessary (every few hours) until throat feels better. Halls does make a sugar-free cough drop, but it just helps with cough, not sore throats and it does have some carbs. There's a brand on the market called N'ICE that are sugar free that do help with sore throats, but go easy of them if you use them. Even though they are sugar-free, they are still not carb free (I think 2-3 grams of carb per lozenge). Hope you feel better soon! If it doesn't clear up in a couple of days or you start running a fever, get thee to a doctor. I hear strep throat is making the rounds.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 05:46

Stats: 132.5/127/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default yes it helps

Tried the salt water yesterday. It does help. Thanks for the heads up on strep. I've been in a classroom full of kids for a month in 35 degree heat some days. Don't think those germie things minded that...eesh...will be kinda hard to eat steak with a fever...but knowing me I would try Oh yeah...there's chicken soup....I'm such a newbie...hehe.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 20:55

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

You should be able to get sugar free throat lozenges in a pharmacy. Here we have Strepsils, but I don't know if that's a Canadian brand.