Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 19:03

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%
Default anyone have to start counting calories to ...

start losing? I have been able to maintain my weight just fine by low carbing and TSPing. I have been working toward my goal weight loss of 30 lbs. for a year + and lost 20 lbs (first with somersizing level 1--lost 15 , then TSP lost 5, but am finding that I have to limit my daily calorie intake and exercise consistently to have lost another lb.

Also I cannot stomach full fat dairy anymore, such as cream cheese, anything but low fat yogurt or skim milk. I don't mean it makes me physically sick (vomiting) -- I just haven't any appetite for it, but I like those items-- so I guess I will consume some 'damaged' fats. I still eat a pat of butter daily and just count it in my daily count. I exercise consistently both cardio and strength training, but just *have not * been able to *lose* the last few months without counting calories! I do follow the good advice/guidelines of TSP, though.

I just wondered if others have adapted any part of the plan and felt successful. I find I do not mind counting calories as much as I used too and certainly do not feel hungry.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 19:59

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi Rosa Congrats on your progress! You are doing great Eating to suit your needs is working well for you. Again, your stats are impressive and congratulations on your lbs. removed forever!

I don't count calories, but I follow a modified Schwarzbein. I am losing inches [down to a size 4 from a size 12! ]and I am doing really well. I ONLY eat serving sizes that suit my hunger of the moment. No more, no less--ever. I don't calculate my calories to fit a maximum or a minimum. I eat what my body requires--good, whole low carb foods in manageable serving sizes. If I bothered to calculate, I would likely find out that I am probably consuming FEWER calories than some 'formulas' dictate. That is just fine by me. I would never consider stuffing myself to fulfill a number any more than I would consider starving myself for the same.

I, too am never hungry and I am in the best shape of my entire life. I do abide by Dr. S's guideline for eating vegetables at every meal, even if this means eating only a teeny tiny salad or a quarter cup of spinach. I also take note to make sure I am eating small, appropriate serving sizes of starchy carbs, fruits, etc. I am careful not to exceed her recommended amounts for these foods. As far as dairy, I still love and enjoy it, but whatever is working for you is the way to go.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 11:30

Thanks for the reply Twiggy. I guess adapting a personal program is a must in the long run. It has been working for me -- so far. In my past I would lose weight on other diet plans (ones that didn't educate as well as TSP) then feel *normal* (return to my overindulging way of eating) then guess what--right back where I started! With TSP one eats enough to nourish the body properly to begin with -- so there is nothing (bad) to return to.

One part of the book that I have found so helpful are the pages of food portions and carb counts-- it only inculdes *healthy* items so you do not have to plow through pages of oreos and twinkies.

The one thing I have had to fight with TSP is my impatience & wanting to lose fast -- I guess I am a slow loser *and* learner! But I am finally getting the point!

I think I probably went into overkill with the cheese,cream,cream cheese & butter (especially when somersizing & a stint with Atkins ) after years of forbidding those items (with all the "lowfat is healthiest hoopla)--so my body is balancing out now.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 06:50

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi there -

Just a quick question for you -- when you talk about consistent exercise, what kind of program are you following? Also keep in mind that weight loss really slows down as you get closer to goal!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 09:38

lisaf, I walk 2 dogs(separately) 4 days per week about 3/4 a mile (around city blocks), 2 days into a city park 1-2 miles (I have a pedometer that helped me know how much to area to cover) with one dog it is a fast pace ( he is young, so we walk as though we are late for an appointment -- a nice pace)

at least 3 mornings per week I vary upper and lower workouts with 2-5 lb. weights.

I try to vary what I do for exercise, now that it is summer I love walking, but if the weather prohibits it I have exercise videos.

Since I lessened my consumption of the saturated fats and started counting calories in 3 weeks I have lost 1 lb. almost 2 , which for me (middle-aged, hypothyroid) that is pretty fast! (at least compared to previous dieting)

I know I need patience, especially while getting closer to goal and I know how the scale is not the best gauge -- but I just feel determined to reach my goal as it is approaching 2 years since I started. It is not an unreasonable goal, I set it in accordance with a liberal BMI scale to improve my health and go from overweight into normal BMI.I have realized with what I *have* lost, it has lightend the load on my body and improved my health in many ways, so I want to lose the last of it. Alas, I am impatient and anxious
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 11:07

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi there -

Your exercise plan sounds like a good one that works for you! One modification I might suggest that could make a big difference would be to increase your weights when you are weight -training...if you add some muscles then your metabolism will burn fat more efficiently (1 lb of muscle burns about 250 cals a day!).

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 09:47

good idea lisa, I plan to 'work up ' to slightly more weight. I have some osteoarthritis in my hands so have to go gradually on that. I started with 1lb. then 2.5lbs. now 5lbs. intermittently.
Thanks for your response, you always have good ideas!

I have found that just a little weight training has been very positive for me -- even helps do away with little aches and pains that I used to have.