Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 21:52

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%
Default Gaining Weight!!! Eek

hi,

I have started to gain some weight. Not major but a few pounds and I am starting to get discouraged. I have started doing cardio every day instead of 5 days a week and weight training 3 days a week plus I look after a two year old. My calories are usually around 1900 per day and I am drinking at least 3L of water per day. My typical diet is as follows:
breakfast-2 eggs, spinach salad
snack-cheese or strawberries
lunch-chicken breast with veggies and caesar dip or caesar salad
dinner-hamburger patty w/cheese, steamed veggies with garlic butter
snack-cheese/nuts or fruit

I would be happy to know it was muscle but my clothes are not getting THAT much bigger for me, only a wee bit. I am hypo(controlled) and suffer PCOS. ANy advice would be HUGELY appreciated. Do i need more calories or carbs????

Thanks,

danyele
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:42

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Progress: 0%
Post HI Danyele

Its great to see your active!! Keep that up. Your body could be adjsuting to the added excercise days you are doing. You could be retaining some water. So make sure your drinking alot of water. I bet that after your body adjusts to this new addition of more cardio, you'll get a big whoosh (you'll lose pounds )

Be careful with too much cheese. I limit myself to eating cheese once per day, and never go more than 4 ounces even after induction. Some people can be very sensitive to dairy, so experiment, eliminate dairy for a few days and see what happens.

make sure your fat intake is at a good level. Fat helsp you burn fat, and keeps you satiated. hope this helps, and let us know how your doing

Piera
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:53

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Danyele, if you're increasing your workouts you should also be increasing your food, in particular your protein. It could be that you are engaging in excessive cardio - too much of a good thing doesn't make for a better thing. I know that when I tried doing cardio 6 days a week I stopped losing fat - my body could not keep up with the stress/cortisol and I couldnt eat enough to sustain fat burning.

It flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but adding extra cardio to burn more fat when you're already working out quite heavily isn't usually the answer. When was the last time you had a break from working out?

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 10:10

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi,

Thank you both for the advice. I am going to cut out cheese for a week and see if that helps.
Also, Nat, I think my past mentality with an ED has me thinking that more cardio is better. Yesterday was the first day in about 2.5 weeks that I"ve had off. I actually had my runners on to go on the treadmill and convinced myself to take the day off. I tried eating more calories yesterday and it made me feel sick so I don't know if that's it. I really hope it's just my body adjusting to the upped workouts but I will cut back from 6 days to 4 of cardio instead and see if that helps. Thanks again to both of you

Danyele