Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/217/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Reflux

Prior to LCing I had severe reflux. I took 2 prescription Zantacs a day, supplemented with Tums, and still had constant heartburn.

After the first couple of weeks LCing, the heartburn was practically non-existent. I stopped taking any medications.

Now 3 months into this the heartburn is coming back, no where near as bad as it was, but every few days I have to take a Zantac.

I am still on induction and still eating the same foods, so I'm not sure why the heartburn is back.

Has anyone else had this experience or have any feedback?

Thanks for any comments.

Summer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 10:47

Plan: nothing official
Stats: 172/162/155
BF:
Progress: 59%

Summer, I have the same question! All the fat that's allowed on the low-carb diets really causes problems for me with reflux. I know if I go to a doc he/she is going to tell me to go to Low-fat. Anybody have any ideas how to do the low-carb thing without alot of extra fat?

bluebonnet
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 12:26
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post My experience

Hi, I too had serious acid reflux but its pretty much gone.
It only returns if I have too much dairy, not fat. Its like a combination of dairy and low carb. Also if I had too many protein shakes, or low carb bars the acid reflux comes back.
Just a thought.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 11:49

Stats: 243/217/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Bluebonnet and Lessara, thanks for the feedback - I was away for a few days and just saw your replies.

Happily my reflux is back under control. I have no idea why it had started again or why it is now gone, I'm just glad it's gone!

I don't think it's too much fat, since I usually don't think I eat enough fat. Lessara, it's possible it could be the Atkins bars - since I had been eating those more frequently (when I don't have time for lunch at work) and now that it's gone, I notice I haven't had any while I was away. That is a good suggestion and I will keep it in mind.

LCing definetly helps - as I said, prior to LC I had constant heartburn, other than that incident where it flared up again, I have felt sooo much better. I hope you are both doing well too!

Summer
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 21:11

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Before we went LC two years ago, my DH had very bad reflux, but it disappeared the day we started and hasn't returned, except for during a trip to France. All you can find for breakfast is croissants and bread, and the reflux reappeared after a little over a week of eating those. It hasn't come back since then.

Karla