Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 14:18

Plan: Modified Low carb
Stats: 305/270/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Nat... can I pick your brain.

the work out my trainer set me up with has literally 0 stomach work at all. I'm not going to be having any more sessions with him for a bit as I get this all under my belt. He said we would add stomach work in the next series of exercises. Is he just extending me out to get more cash or is he actually thinking that I'm doing enough at the momment to get started and should concentrate on what I've got so far. I mean.. being completly honest here.. my stomach is the largest problem I have.

Perhaps on my off days from doing the weights I should do crunches along with my cardio?

Thanks in advance.

Topher
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 15:00

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Only if it doesn't hurt!

CJ, I peeked at your gym log and I'd say you're definitely working out pretty intensely. Whether or not to add ab work ? My gut (no pun intended) reaction would be to throw in a session after a cardio day once a week.

Just a couple of points: when you do the big compound moves like deadlifts, squats, pushups, should presses and chest presses you're using your abs and your back muscles to help stablize your body (this is often called 'core strengthening') - they get a workout every time you work out. Concentrating on perfect form will help ensure this is the case.

Your stomach area being your 'largest problem' isn't uncommon for men - that's usually the last area that shapes up. For women it's the butt / hips. Doing extra crunches or sit ups isn't going to make a difference in the rate at which this area firms up - it's all a function of % of body fat. Remember, spot reducing does not work. That being said, abdominal fat responds better to intense cardio vascular exercise than other types of fat. The program you're doing (circuit like, keeping the heart rate up, keeping it aerobic) will go a long way to helping get rid of the abdominal fat. Once it's gone you're going to want some abs to show for it, right?

Working the abs once a week, but working them hard is my preference (these days!) That hasn't always been the case - you can work them more frequently. As with any muscle group, it's about intensity and quality not quantity. There are some great posts in this forum on ab work if you try a search.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 15:07

Plan: Modified Low carb
Stats: 305/270/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks Nat. How long has it taken you to gather your head around your workout/metabolism knowledge?

Topher
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 18:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

CJ, it's taken about 18 months! And I'm still learning. I've tried a slew of different eating plans, a handful of different workout plans and read a tonne of books / magazine articles and posts right here on this forum. It's been enlightening, educational and down right confusing at times. I like to think of it as my big science experiment that is always changing.

You'll get your head around the issues, you probably wont even realize you've done it at first

Nat