Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 10:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%
Question La Tortilla Question

I just received my order of tortillas & they are great! Problem is, I totally feel like I'm cheating when I eat them. I know the ECC is only 3 grams, but has anyone had a problem with the wheat flour causing a stall? I've lost 27 lbs in almost 8 weeks, & would hate to impede my progress by eating too many tortillas. Maybe I feel this way because I've been strictly eating meat, green veggies, some fruit, & lots of fat, and not trying to make a low carb alternative to a high carb food. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 11:35

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

this is such an individual thing...the phrase "your mileage may vary" really applies!

Many people have wheat allergies from years of overusing the food. So yes, re-introducing wheat may stall you or bring back irritating healthy symptoms that LCing cured.

With such a likely food allergen, it's best not to eat them daily--probably half the days of any given week would be the maximum.

If you find yourself going back for "just one more" or obsessing on them or planning your whole day around the meal that you'll be able to use two tortillas...probably that's indicitive of the addiction/allergy cycle, and you'd best avoid them. If such a thing does not occur, and you can take them or leave them, then eat them in reasonable amounts without guilt.

If you stall, they'd be one of the first things to eliminate to see the result--but I wouldn't borrow that trouble before it arrives.

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 12:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post I had the same problem, Melissa...

When I received my first order of La Tortilla Factory tortillas I was eager to try them but scared a the same time...

...I think I made quesadillas with them first, and I used 3. They quesadillas were SO good, but I started freaking, assuming that anything this good had to be wrong.

I eat them all the time now. I'm having 2 at lunch today with tuna salad, cheese and lettuce rolled up in them.

So far, they have not stalled me at all. I've lost 71lbs since January 5th.

I've read that some people use them for mini pizza crusts. I haven't tried that yet but roll ups and quesadillas rock.

Enjoy!

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 13:15
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 183/176/135 Female 5 FT, 4 IN.
BF:
Progress: 15%
Cool

Hi-
I was just wondering if these can be purchased in any stores that you know of or only available for online ordering (and if only available online, which website is best for ordering?). I really look forward to trying these. Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 14:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Ordering online...

I order mine from www.netrition.com

...and they arrive within about 3 days. Probably would be even faster to you in CA.

Enjoy them!

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 14:14

Stats: 267/264/185 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 4%

I buy mine from the factory and if you call their toll free number 1-800-446-1516 they will give you a 10% off promo code to use on their website. If you don't want to buy online they can tell you the nearest store to you that stocks them. I just ordered 3 cases, one of every flavor. My wife and I have went through one case already and we haven't stalled. My favorites are tuna salad and bacon cheeseburgers. I use the garlic and herb flavor for pizza crusts. I'm hoping the plain wheat ones might be good for pie crusts. Oh well hope the phone number helps you.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 14:42
Registered Member

BF:
Default Website & Phone number...

I'll give them a call and check out their website. I think I'll check out netrition too to see how that compares pricewise. Thanks for taking the time to reply! Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 15:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I buy mine from my local health food store. They keep them in the freezer section there. I was never big on tortillas so I can take them or leave them, but my DH LOVES them! I've made enchiladas with them a couple of times and they were yummy! Since I rarely eat them, I can't say whether they stall me or not, but they haven't seemed to slow the husband's weight loss down; he's lost 33 lbs since January.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 06:02

Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

They are definitely great for adding some variety. I rolled roast beef & cheese up in them & they were really good. Very convenient for making lunches for work, too! I think I will try tacos this weekend.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 12:18

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%

I like La Tortilla tortillas a lot, but they don't seem to like me as much. I ordered the large ones, and they have some 15g fiber in each one! Every time I have them, I get the "trots". (probably because I'm also having salad, veggies, fruit, etc, and it's fiber overload. But they would probably be great for those of you who have had a little constipation...they are like a Roto-Rooter!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 19:09
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Oh happy day!

Just opened my first package of low carb tortillas - a very happy thing indeed. I need to try to not go overboard with these but I almost immediately heated one up in the micro, slathered it with butter, rolled it up and ate it standing right there at the counter . Thanks again for the tip on these - I think I'll have a quesadilla tomorrow!! karen