Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 15:36

Plan: Atkins type
Stats: 224/209/187
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question Weight Loss

I,ve been trundeling along with Atkins for about 4 weeks now and still happy to see 1 pound a day drop off It al seems to happen overnight for me?). People noticed the difference after just 6-7 days - mainly in my face/ neck. My practcie manager also started about 10 days ago although she blew it at the weekend with a 4 day drinking/eating session! but she also lost the chubness from her face quite rapidly. Is this a common occurance? My thighs have also reduced alot lately, but I can't see much change in my gut or the "handles" at the side of my chest! Here's hoping.
PS the pork scratchings from Morrisons are 80% protein, 20% fat and almost zero carb. They are great alternative to crisp and good for spreading things on. They basically have had all the fat rendered out of them so all that remains is the protein matrix. The higher fat more clasically "Yorkshire" scratchings are an aquired taste which go nicely with a beer - but I can't have a beer boo hoo - any low carb beers available?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 16:28

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

It is strange but weight does seem to come off in the reverse way from the way we put in on. It seems to start at the top and gradually work down to the thighs.

Guinness is 5 carbs for half a pint.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 13:05

BF:

Goodness - Guiness is good for you after all! Well in moderation anyway......
Re Ketostix, I'm going to try again at Boots see if I get a different pharamacist/assistant. If no joy I write to Boots and moan.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 13:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

i wouldn't bother trying boots at all - get them online, try a local chemist or go ot superdrug !!!!

#5   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 260/225/190
BF:
Progress: 50%

I was a great pint drinker mainly beer ,but since ive started Low Carbing i have stuck to Spritzers its not bad and i try to get a decent wine as it tastes better. I know its not that same as beer but i know beer of the reasons i am Low Carbing now

Joe
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 13:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up Wow Fantastic Weightloss!

Wow Monkeh,

1lb a day weightloss, that is fantastic, how do you do it? What are you eating? I notice you have not started a journal, it would be great if you did, an inspiration to others of what you eat and how much of it!

Keep it up, it's brilliant!
Banana
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 16:41

BF:

Loss has slowed considerably over the past 4-5 days 0-1/2 lb max per day as I move over to pre maintenance. I did induction for 3+weeks rather than 2 to try to purge the sweet cravings. I have managed to do it to some extent. I was a really bigger eater of carbs - cereal, toast and jam for breakie, sandwiches & crisps at lunchtime, usually a good evening meal but often with rice or potatoes and would think nothing of eating 1/2 a packet of biscuits in an evening.

I thought I would miss them and I do to some extent especially the breakfast cereal. At 6.15 in the morning I just don't fancy a fry up or ham and cheese etc. Sugar free jelly made with a little fresh fruit and some cream (more like blancmange) is ok. Anybody any suggestions?
I have found it is possile to make relatively low carb chocolate desserts usiing good quality dark choc ie 70% Lindt. I like my puddings!
I'm just trying out Boots Belgian diabetic chocolate (dark) which is made with malitol and only 6g per 100g I think. I know some people don't get on with malitol but it doesn't seem to affect me (according to Ketostix). I can also recommended Sainsbury's smoked almonds, absolutely craking with a G&T on a sunny evening after work. (Moderate amounts of drink don't seem to affect me either. I have only reduced my alcohol consumption a little - probably 3 down to 2 units per day) since I started.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 12:12
Registered Member

Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default Polyols and ketosis

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if the the 25grams or so amount of carb one is allowed a day excludes the carb from polyoles such as mutiole, sorbitol.

Also, can one be in ketosis yet be stalling...?
Probably a very stupid question...

Sheila
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 12:57

Default Ketosis

Sheila, If by ketosis you mean that ketostix change to pink/purple then that just shows that there are keytones in the urine and does not necessarily correlate to immediate weight loss due to fat. Stalling means at least six weeks of no weight loss or inch loss.

Ketostix will change colour sometimes with alcohol consumption and burning consumed dietry fat. They can also not change colour through being old stix or moisture contamination.

That having been said, if you are showing a change in colour every day for six weeks and carbs are less than 30 and you are doing everything right, I would be surprised if there was not either some size reduction or weight loss.

However you can test one morning and nothing, the same afternoon can be moderate and then nothing the next day. It is so variable that the Ketostix can only be a guide.

The simple answer is that if you are burning your own fat, you will not be stalling. If you are replacing muscle with fat you will not be stalling.

How you know for certain what the body is doing at any given time and which direction it is trying to go is what makes LC life such a fascinating, frustrating, rewarding, infuriating, pleasurable, plain ol bizarre activity. Just when you think you have got it cracked; it ups and bites you on the bum!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 13:03
Registered Member

Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%
Exclamation but what about ECC...?

Thanks Rustpot,

I actually hav'nt stalled (I think ), but was curious. Hmmm. But what about the Polyoles as carbs...? Do I have to count them too? I sometime have those sugerfree chocolate which I thought I dont have to count (effective carb count) but not too sure now . Do you know?

Sheila
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 16:36

Default eec

Yes you should use the effective carb count but in the UK the fibre is often already deducted.

Count any carbs that are quoted. The precise number is more of a guide than anything else. Also sweeteners with no "official" carbs can stall. Spirit alcohol has no carbs and can also stall.

You are not necessarily going to gain weight with the "no carb" products but sometimes it takes an effort to shift it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 03:52
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 154/128/120
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Weight Loss

Hi all

Interesting what Monkeh says about losing off thighs - I tried loads of diets before I discovered low carb and it's the only thing that actually seems to make a difference to the size of my thighs - which is great because as RustPot says it does usually tend to come off in reverse order!

I'm struggling a bit with weekends at the moment. I'm great through the week and have no problems, but come the weekend I just seem to have this "yeah! it's the weekend mentality" and blow it - mainly with alcohol I think.

My weakness is Smirnoff Ice which says its a blend of pure vodka & lemon flavour. I haven't managed to find out the carb count - does anybody happen to know? My guess is pretty high as it tastes quite sweet.

The general trend is still down but I seem to be going 2 steps forward 1 step back at the moment.