Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 08:57
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default How do I get past my "set point"?

Hello Omnicient Ones!!

I realized yesterday that I am at my "set point", if there really is such a thing. The weight at which I have probably spent most of my adult life.....168-170. My body LOVES this weight.... especially in my younger days no matter what I did (diet or pig out, exercise or not) my body would stay at 168.

Is there any magic way to get my body into getting past this point? Do I need to follow a stall-breaking plan or just be patient? What's the concensus?

Thanks ya'll!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 11:20

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Teri, I've read as much as a person can read on this without going blind...lol...and here's what I've concluded:

It varies too much from person to person to make blanket predictions.

Exercise does not give metabolically obese/overweight people the same benefits as naturally thin people, so don't over exercise (besides, you'll likely get hurt and not be able to keep up unhealthy levels forever anyway)

If you lower calories, you'll lower your BMR--not a happy end result--so I'd advise not trying this.

It's possible that after a year or so at a new set point, you'll be able to shift slowly down to a lower set point.

It's also possible that we have a natural body weight and we'll keep returning there. The body may do ANYTHING to make this happen, like lowering BMR or shifting hormone production or whatever...a scary thought, as those shifts may lead us to worse health, rather than better as we fight our set point.

Because of that, it's a great idea to come to terms with the set point where you are now (even if you get a new one in 17 months that you like better). How? Doing body image work, getting therapy if needed to help with that process, coming to a place of more profound self-love, really looking at the women of about your age in the real world around you more than at the women on TV (real women just don't look like that!) In fact, it may be best to put the TV in a closet, toss out the "women's magazines" (the women's-torture magazines, I think of them as), watch limited movies populated only with skinny women, challenge any unhealthy and unrealistic thoughts as they crop up, and focus on the real world around you instead.

It can help to set other goals--our dress size is such a tiny, tiny, TINY part of who we are, we needn't let it rule our self-concept. Enjoying life is the greatest victory of all.

If you havent read Forsberg's Adiposity 101 on line, and you want more good info, that's where I'd advise to start gathering it. I also really like the Garner article I linked to a couple months ago in research/media watch.
HTH
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 11:55

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Set Point

I think I am there too.

I am wondering whether it might be more of a psychological barrier. After all it was not a set point on the way up, so why should it be on the way down.

It was one of the reasons I considered to explain my recent plateau.

I have decided to try a new game and treat it as a stall/plateau and give all the plates a spin. If that does not work then back to the first plate (induction) and give that a little jiggle.

If that does not work then there is only one thing that will break a set point.

Any one for tennis?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 12:45
Starting Over!

Smile Thanks!!

I appreciate both of your responses! It's an especially good point to just "get comfortable" with the way I am right now, and just keep doing what I'm doing. I think that's where I'm headed anyway. Even if I never lose another pound, I really do feel better for having picked up a great exercise program and at least getting down to THIS weight. I was miserable at 180+.....just miserable. Now at least my bust is bigger than my belly!! Not to mention that I feel worlds better in general.

I'll definitely look up the articles you mention, Raz. Thanks for your time and attention!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 20:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%
Default Raz

Hi,
glad to see the question and the responses. i am interested in the articles mentioned. can you tell me how to locate them?

thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 02:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I spent years between 175 and 180. With a lot of patience and keeping on the program, I finally moved below 175, but it was weeks before I could do so! I wasn't ready to give up on my new WOL, but it was so difficult not seeing that scale move down! The best thing was to not get obsessed with the number! After all, I felt great.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 05:26

Default me too!

I know what you mean Deb. i spent years at 168, down from 208, and now have been MONTHS between 148- 154, i let the program go for a few weeks and GAINED!!!!!! back on track, and ready for the 40's again, and i will quit complaining and enjoy all the other benefits that come from this WOE.

I have arthritis in my lower back, and a month ago pulled something and had gotten out of the habit of daily exercise. i had been faithfully doing Body Flex, and yesterday finally got the motivation to restart. its a great breathing and stretching exercise regimin, and i hope to get outside and walk SOON. its still so darn cold here!

hang in there!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 08:10
Starting Over!

Default This is a great thread!!

Thanks ya'll so much for contributing to this thread....it's been a source of great support for me!

RAZZLE - I'm into Adiposity 101 like crazy. I've only read 25 pages or so (at the hairdresser & manicurist last night ) and have found it so interesting. Just in those few pages I've gone a long way towards "acceptance" and MORE patience. Thanks so much for the reference. I'll print off Garner today!

KIMBERLINA & DEB-O.... YOU have given me much hope. You personify patience and perseverance. As the weight is SO painfully slow to come off I just had to find some inspiration from someone who's been through it.... and that's exactly what you've provided. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Let me ask you a question though, did you do anything special to get off your stall or just kept doing what you're doing? I really love this WOE right now.... I don't want to have to give up the FEW artificial sweeteners I eat & drink or dairy or bacon or salami! I eat these things in moderation (except cheese I eat every day) and feel like if I give those things up I'll end up feeling "deprived" which is NOT good.

I am SO happy today....thank you all.

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Fri, May-10-02 at 08:21.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 10:23

links, kimb:

garner

Adiposity 101

Teri, I think you're answered your own question! If you don't want to change anything and are comfortable, don't change. One day, you may be in the mood to try to live without AS--and so you can do it then. All things come in their own time.

Some of the healthy changes I've made have taken me a lot of reading and convincing to do (and heck, I may still be wrong!), like shifting to all free-range meat and taking my daily spoonful of flax seed oil. When I get into a battle with myself full of eating "shoulds," I end up splitting in my thinking into a strict mommy Me and a rebellious child Me--and boy do they have some energy-wasting fights! lol. Much easier to wait until the adult and intellectual Me has gotten convinced enough to cough up the extra money.

Glad you're feeling so positive, Teri! When I first read forsberg, that was not my reaction! I was upset, angry, depressed--I think because I recognized it as the truth, and it's not the magical-cure news about weight control one hears other places, eh? I knew it as the truth but had to pout about it awhile. Your attitude is much healthier and your learning much quicker--way to go!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 12:00

Default thanks!

Raz,
thanks for the links, made it much simpler for me to hunt down! lots of good reading for the weekend!

Teri,
you are doing awesome! and its always nice to encourage someone else, cause we all have been there. right now i am feeling optimistic again!

I told my dh that a month ago i was down to my lowest point, 148 and was eating CHEESECAKE, sf of course, weekly! then i went thru the mental anguish of OMG i am eating SO much fat!!!! LOL so.....he said, do what you need to do. he is of the TOTAL lowfat mind set, (of course its MY fault cause i trained him that way 5 years ago) so.......seeing is believing. so we stopped at walmart to pick up a quart of heavy whipping cream, sour cream and REAL butter! egads!

Enjoy!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 12:59
Starting Over!

RAZ, You are so wise. What good advice you've given me today! Thanks again!

I was just reading some more Adiposity 101....should be required reading for all on this board .... anyway, i read with interest that:

"A number of anectdotal reports have appeared claiming that Nutrasweet consumption interferes with weight loss. Diet beverages are a major vehicle for Nutrasweet consumption. Almost all diet sodas contain citric acid which has been shown to interfere with ketosis."....and.... "Large numbers of dieters have reported difficulties in sustatining urinary ketones after consumption of dietetic beverages, such as diet cola, or slices of lemon in water . These difficulties disappear when beverage intake becomes restricted to black coffee, black tea, or water. Although present only in small amounts, citric acid might be the offending substance because of the known ability of citrate to control carbohydrate metabolism at the subcellular level. Single-blind trials of citric acid added to drinking water indicated many were particulary sensitive to the citrate. 40-50% of people on ketogenic diets are sensitive to citric acid ; they cannot tolerate the diet under these conditions. If difficulties arise, the only solution is to avoid fruits and beverages which contain citric acid, including most popular diet beverages. No test exists for this sensitivity."

I am surprised that I haven't seen this mentioned on this board before!? Granted, it would be difficult to avoid citric acid altogether, but this tidbit seems significant.... especially to those trying to break a stall!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 13:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Help! I would love to look at these links

but they will not open for me. All i get are error messages!

can someone help me out?

copy the link from the address bar? Maybe that would help me.

thanks

Deb
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 13:48
Starting Over!

Try this deb for Adiposity 101: http://www.omen.com/adipos.html

Are you trying from work? I couldnt get into the Garner article for some reason because of browsing restrictions at work. Maybe if you try from home you'll have better luck.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 14:04

the server for Adiposity 101 seems to be experiencing problems today. The Garner article came up fine for me.

If anyone ever wants to know the URL for any site that you know the name to, just go to www.google.com (or any search engine), type in "Adiposity 101" and it'll tell you where it is.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 17:24

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Think Im at a set point also.. I have been 174 for years before gaining weigt after quitign smoking then gained up to 210.. I had finaly gotten to 164 then boom im back up to about 167-169 now.. But I am confident that I will drop back down... I think I am at a point I will have to push past... which is fine but can be fustrating at times... Think I may up my water intake a bit also being i have been very busy at work and havent had as much water also... We can do this ALL........ we will push our way back down and beyond.....

Tammy