Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 08:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/125/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%
Default Traveling with Muffin in Minute

Has anyone made a batch of MIM and taken them on a trip? I'm going on a cruise in9 days and I would LOVE to take my MIM for breakfast each morning, but I do worry about them spoiling. I don't have any way to keep them refrigerated
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 11:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Not sure if the MiM is like my bowl muffin, but I suppose one could use powdered eggs and then take the mix on a trip. Add water, stir, microwave and you could have a fresh one anytime.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 11:54
Registered Member

Stats: 280/265/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think the flax wouldn't make it past day three our four... I would think there are definitely other options on the cruise you could use - I have heard that the food is amazing for low carbers -omelettes, bacon, berries, lots and lots of meat! Good luck and have a great vacation!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 13:03

BF:

Thanks for the responses. I will have to make do with the yummy bacon & eggs. Such a burden
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 13:44

Plan: Primal/CAD
Stats: 198/185/140 Female 63inches
BF:nunya :)
Progress: 22%

Cruise menu is pretty amazing - it's like a buffet type thing and in the morning usually have someone making fresh omelets while you wait..... adding whatever your hearts desire. Low carb is pretty easy on a Cruise I would worry more about checking a bag full of water - b/c water for our cruise was like $3 per bottle. so we checked a bag of bottled water, cushioned of course. But as far as eggs go, you won't have a problem.
Have fun! Where are you cruising to?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 04:26

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Why not take them anyway, maybe bagged individually with your name on the box, and ask the waiting staff if they can put them in the freezer so you can have one defrosted for you each day?

From what I have heard most cruise staff go out of their way to please their customers in order to maximise any potential tips they might earn!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 13:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 122/110.7/100 Female 5'2 ft
BF:
Progress: 51%

I wouldn't trust anything on a cruise, when I went my Dad said there was going to be plenty of low carb options for me to choose, EVERYTHING there apart from hard boiled eggs and leafy salad was coated in mass amounts of sugar and/or flour.
You should make quiche! and I agree with above if they knew you were on a special low carb diet im sure they'd let you use the fridge.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 19:32

Stats: 260/194/185 Female 5'8"
BF:too much :-(
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMcBride
Has anyone made a batch of MIM and taken them on a trip? I'm going on a cruise in9 days and I would LOVE to take my MIM for breakfast each morning, but I do worry about them spoiling. I don't have any way to keep them refrigerated

You should send Syrah a message... she is the queen of cruising on low carb!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 19:33

Stats: 260/194/185 Female 5'8"
BF:too much :-(
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJen
I wouldn't trust anything on a cruise, when I went my Dad said there was going to be plenty of low carb options for me to choose, EVERYTHING there apart from hard boiled eggs and leafy salad was coated in mass amounts of sugar and/or flour.
You should make quiche! and I agree with above if they knew you were on a special low carb diet im sure they'd let you use the fridge.

No shrimp, smoked salmon and cream cheese? What kind of cruise is that?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-08-11, 17:49

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieMom
No shrimp, smoked salmon and cream cheese? What kind of cruise is that?

Seriously, SlimJen, what cruise line was that (so I know to avoid it)?

Christina, WATER? Isn't water included in the price of your passage? Can't you ask a steward for a pitcher of water any time you want?

#11   ^
Old Sun, May-08-11, 17:54

BF:

We are taking a short cruise to the Bahamas, as chaperones for my son's graduating class

I'm going to use Elizellen's suggestion and take some frozen ones with me in hopes that the wait staff will accommodate me and keep them refrigerated for me If they can't or won't, it won't be a huge loss in terms of $.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-08-11, 21:26

Plan: My own
Stats: 122/110.7/100 Female 5'2 ft
BF:
Progress: 51%

It was actually horrible, the worst 2 weeks ever, I was starving but so sick of eggs.
the salmon was floured and sugared, there was shrimp one day but I didn't like it and the cream cheese was low fat with sugar >_<

It was a new zealand cruise line.. I can't remember the name tough XD too long ago
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 14:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 194/159/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

It really depends on the cruise line and the ship. If you are concerned about your choices, call ahead for information. You may be pleasantly surprised.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 14:56

Plan: Primal/CAD
Stats: 198/185/140 Female 63inches
BF:nunya :)
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
Seriously, SlimJen, what cruise line was that (so I know to avoid it)?

Christina, WATER? Isn't water included in the price of your passage? Can't you ask a steward for a pitcher of water any time you want?

Not on the BIG red boat - our cruise was nice but we were going on a lot of excursions and I was concerned about water outside of the Room - we could ask for a pitcher of water I'm sure but we were never in our room. and I'm kind of leary about OPEN water sources when going abroad. I got really, really sick one time I drank the water when we went to the Dominican, (I mean I thought there was a pitch fork burried in my gut, I really thought I was going to die, I ened up in the ER) never again.- I drink close to 80-100oz per day b/c after my coffee in the am that's all I drink. I'm sure about other cruise lines, but the BIG red boat $3 per bottle.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 16:11

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%

Low carb cruiser checkin' in here! A few months ago we did a 14 day TransAtlantic, and I was a bit concerned about staying on plan for the duration, having disembarked from several other cruises with more "baggage" than I started with. I needn't have worried: it was low carb heaven!
Sure, you could pack up your MiMs and ask to have them stored, or store them in your stateroom fridge. If the fridge isn't cold enough, consider packing a small, soft-sided cooler -- ice is easy to come by. In that case you might want to pack ziploc bags too.
But why bring something you can have at home when there's bacon, sausage, smoked salmon, eggs benedict, cheeses, butter ... oh, they lost money on me, that's for sure!
Elizellen is right: the staff are very eager to please. I asked for sugar free whipped cream at dinner one night and they presented me with a big bowl every night for the rest of the cruise! And our waiter learned pretty fast that I didn't want potatoes, rice, etc. on my plate. They are happy to pamper.
Our cruiseline, btw, was Celebrity.
As for water, the ship's tap water is good to drink. Take along refillable bottles for shore excursions -- no need to pay exorbitant prices.