Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Unhappy Stomach pains!!!???

Can someone help out?

My mum has started this LC woe about 4 days ago. She is not used to fried things really but has followed a pretty balanced woe most of her life, ie no yo yo dieting and that sort of thing.

She has said that since starting this diet, whenever she eats a meal that has been fried or too rich, she gets a feeling like a stone in her stomach, not exactly a pain but a heavy feeling. I've told her to stop eating fried things and concentrate on getting the fat from things like olive oil etc.

Has anyone else experienced this discomfort when switching to LC? Do you think it's wise for her to carry on? Any advice from health experts out there?

Thanks in anticipation

Banana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 00:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

I agree that she should keep it as simple as possible. Low carbing is a big adjustment for your body to go through.

I had all kinds of strange sensations in my stomach in the beginning of this WOE...especially before a whoosh.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 06:19

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello bannana,

Yes I have gone threw stomach pains.. Its called detox... Couldnt hardly eat with out doubling over cramps and sitting on the pot all the time... her body is going threw a major withdrawl from carbs and sugar... Her body is getting rid of all the excess carbs stuff in her body.. Think I said this right... Mabe some one will come along and know more than me... It will pass .... Mine lasted about 2 days.... Now I feel great.... I hardly ever fry foods. I usualy bake or broil or grill most of my meats... I will had some olive oil to the top of them some for a little more flavor... Or I just put butter in my vegies instead of my meat... Im just not a fan of fryed foods.. some are... Have you mom use fitday.com to track her foods.. It keeps up with fat percentages...carbs, calories and protein... Its great.. I hope you mom starts feelign better real soon...... Best of luck and hope i helped a bit

Tammy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 07:38

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:

I cannot speak to the stomach discomfort, but I eat 2 fried eggs every morning but I do fry them in virgin olive oil. I also have mixed salad with the eggs tossed in olive oil and a little high potassium salt (mortons lite). I cap it off with a vine tomato and follow with a mug of tea.
I hope that helps a little
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 182/163/140
BF:
Progress: 45%

I've been on it a month and I still have problems with my stomach cramping and irregularity..I take the psyllium husks as well as eating my vegetables but my system has had a time with the diet. I feel better and have more energy, but yes, I've had lotsa stomach problems...My husband really wants me to quit the WOL because of it..He says a diet that causes this much discomfort cannot be good for you. I am losing weight though so for the moment I am not listening to him.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 09:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Hi Banana!

I've merged your two questions together so all the replies will be easy to find by you and others.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 10:08

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

I had a little cramping at first, but after detox it was smooth sailing. Last weekend I had 1 cup of french onion soup (9 grams of carbs) and I had really bad cramps - I put it down to the bread after all this time - it was good, because I won't be tempted again.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 13:15

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 152/152/140
BF:
Default Detox?

HEY!
Could someone help me with the definition of "detoxification"?? I'm confused by this, probably rightfully so because I am only on Day 3 of LC !!
Thanks.. looking forward to replies
!!!
~ JESSIE ~
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 14:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Unhappy Stomach pains

Thanks everyone for replying, and thanks Karen for finding the other thread and putting them together.

I'll let my mum know what you guys said, hopefully it will make her feel better! But I think she said it was only when she had fried rich food that this happened, ie fried breadfast etc. I was more concerned thinking it might be more of a gall bladder type problem to be honest but maybe that would be a different sort of pain (she's never had any problems in that area by the way so it would be new!)

I'll see how she gets on.

Thanks
Banana
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 15:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default A couple of possibilities...

When you have stomach discomfort after eating a specific food or foods, it could be because of food allergies or sensitivities. Eggs and dairy are big culprits in those areas. Some people also have a hard time with certain raw veggies, like broccoli, green peppers, cabbage or onions. Sensitivity to fried or fatty foods could also be a symptom of a developing gall bladder problem. If the stomach pains don't clear up, try modifiying your diet...leave certain foods out for a while and see how you feel. Add them back in and see how you feel then. It's best to do this with one food at a time and could take some time, but this way you can identify which food or foods are causing the problem. If it still doesn't clear up, see your doctor to get checked out and make sure that it's not something physical causing your problem.