Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/225/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 21%
Angry Question on Low Carbing

This is the first time I have posted. I read this forum everyday. I just learn so much from all of you.

I was reading an article today from a dr regarding low carbing/high protein diets and this is what he had to say:

The ketogenic diet advocates the consumption of a large amount of animal protein in the form of meats and cheeses; it allows the use of vegetables, and virtually eliminates the intake of carbohydrates. It is called ketogenic because it so severely restricts the intake of carbohydrates that the body switches to burning fat. The process of burning fat for energy produces ketone bodies in the bloodstream as a by-product. Ketone bodies usually appear in the bloodstream during starvation when the body is feeding off its own fat. Unfortunately, ketogenic diets also cause the body to break down it's own protein . Because the brain is starving for carbohy6drates, the body begins to digest its own muscle and protein to produce carbohydrates to feed the brain. The ketogenic diet may work for some people in the short run and may be useful on a trial basis for individuals who are at high risk. However, it carries with it a number of health risks in the long run.

Okay...he scared me a bit about breaking down the bodies muscle.

Opinions please!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 17:02

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default They are wrong

It's actually just the opposite. The brain doesn't need carbohydrates, it needs glucose, and it gets plenty of glucose because the body learns how to generate glucose from fat and protein if it does not get enough from carbohydrates. That's why a low-carb diet will cause you to lose fat as it uses that fat to convert to glucose (large amounts of this conversion cause ketosis). The protein and fat you are consuming also will help your body build muscle, hormones and other tissues that a low-fat diet will not. That's why there is muscle mass loss on a low-fat diet, not a low-carb diet.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will post more complete messages. Also, try reading The Schwarzbein Principle by Dr. Diane Schwarzbein. She has a really good explanation of why a low-carb diet is good for you.

;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Thu, Apr-11-02 at 17:08.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 17:06
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 150/145.5/125
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default just my personal opinion...

I am no expert by any means but I just thought I would give my 2 cents.

When I first tried atkins a couple years ago I was only on for a couple weeks but I did lose muscle in my legs.. I used to have biker (big) muscular legs.

BUT I think as long as I am building muscle (weight lifting) I don't have to worry so much about muscle loss especially when I see my clothing fitting better than ever and feel GREAT!

Honestly I have not felt better than when on this diet. I really drag myslef around after cheating with some big time carbs.

Something else to consider are the benefits of lc-ing other than weight loss. All the things that happens to your body once you lose weight (the list goes on) and ultimately will give you a healthier body than when overweight with muscle hidden underneath! Just think, what's the alternative.. stay heavy and tired.

But again, I am just giving my own 2 cents.

Jen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 17:14

BF:

Joonie, you probably did not lose muscle in your legs. Instead you lost the fat that was marbled into the muscles. My legs are also very muscular and they are getting thinner. But I have noticed that I have more definition and I am definitely not getting weaker. In fact, I am getting stronger and not even working at it.

Jeanie, since I started low-carbing, I have gotten stronger, been happier, had more stamina and more energy. I have not felt hungry shortly after eating as I used to do when low-fat dieting. I do not feel deprived. I know I get on a soapbox about this, but I think low-carbing is the healthiest thing you can do for your body.

Also, I know thin people who have started low-carbing for the health benefits. One of my friends, Robin, has been low-carbing for health for over 10 months. She is healthy, has not lost muscle, and her blood counts have all normalized. Low-fat dieting does not do all that, only low-carbing does.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/225/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 21%

Deb, thanks for the insight. And Joonie too. The thought of losing muscle scared me. Deb: I see that our stats are the same. We both started at the same weight and are currently the same weight too. What do you see are the main differences in the Schwarzbien Principle and Atkins?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 18:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default This guy is wrong

I think this doctor must have low calorie/low protein confused with low carb. When the body is deprived of enough protein, it does actually begin breaking down it's own muscle tissue to get the protein that it needs. With low carb, we are not eating EXCESSIVE amounts of protein, but rather adequate protein. Remember, we are to eat until satisfied, not stuffed. Yes, the brain needs glucose to function properly, but the body becomes very efficient at getting the glucose that it needs from breaking down body fat when it is deprived of it's preferred source of glucose, carbohydrates and it does so without the wild swings in blood sugar that carbs produce so it's a win/win situation. The brain get's what it needs without the wild swings in blood sugar that the rest of your body DOESN'T need. Actually, I find that my brain tends to function better with this WOE...less fogginess, more clarity and better ability to focus.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 18:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

No matter what kind of "diet" you're on, if you don't consume enough calories you will experience no weight loss or at worst, your muscles will be canabalized for fuel.

As you get more familiar with this forum, you will see that eating fat and keeping your calories up is recommended. The beauty of LC is never having to be hungry while losing weight at the same time. There is a right and wrong way to LC. Some people use the appetite suppressing effects of ketosis to not eat, thinking not eating = weight loss.

Here are some links that go into greater detail:

Fat and Keeping Calories Up

More on Fat and Keeping Calories Up

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 20:23

BF:
Default Atkins vs. Schwarzbein

Hi, Jeanie. You're right our stats are very similar. How fun!

As far as the differences between Atkins and Schwarzbein, I really don't know enough about Atkins to say more than what I have inferred. But I can tell you what I really like about Schwarzbein. And I really recommend you read the book.

1. I get to eat plenty of good carbs, including some starchy vegetables if I want. Dr. S. has a table the helps you figure out your recommended carbs, but she doesn't count the carbs in certain foods she calls non-starchy vegetables. My "allowance" is about 75 grams. I actually tend to eat a little less than that. But I have my occassional artichokes, avocados and olives.

2. The plan is fairly cut and dried, simple. I deal best without a lot of planning and details. The plans says not to eat bad fats (margarine being the biggest example), refined grains, sugars (all types, including honey and fructose), sweeteners, alcohol, drugs, caffeine, and a number of other things. I know this sounds kind of daunting, but for me it's comforting.

3. I eat lots of food and lots of variety. I eat all kinds of fresh meat, eggs, cream, sour cream, mayonnaise, non-starchy veges (zucchini, broccoli, lettuces, tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, celery and those are just my favorites).

4. There's no induction. I personally think that induction is too radical. But that's me.

5. Her book had a number of great recipes and I bought her regular cookbook too. I have modified a lot of them into single-serving, one-pot meals. That's the style of cooking I am most comfortable with.

I have made this plan my own. I stick pretty close to Dr. S's recommendations, but I am making this my way of life, so it has to work for the rest of my life.

I have also read one other book: "How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds" by Dana Carpender. She has a lot of information about the different plans (except for SP because it came out after her book).

A sort of typical day's menu will be:

Breakfast: San Francisco Joe's Special (2 eggs, 1/4 pound hamburger, spinach, onions, & mushrooms, all cooked in butter)

Lunch: Usually chicken, baked or broiled, tomato & cucumber salad with oil and lemon juice dressing.

Snack: Varies, but my current favorite is ham rollups (ham slices spread liberally with cream cheese and rolled up).

Dinner: One of my one-pot recipes. I have lots of chicken recipes like Fricassie, curries, mexican style, italian style, Oriental. And I have a few great pork and beef recipes, including a stroganoff I love. A lot of my recipes are thickened with cream or sour cream. And I made creme fraiche from cream and it's a really good cream thickener.

The one thing I had to learn was to eat saucy dishes without rice or noodles. But now that I am accustomed to it, I think rice or noodles would just get in the way. And they would not make me feel good anyway.

Well, this, as usual, has gotten over long. I'm sorry. I hope it helps. I have one more recommendation: Clean out your kitchen if you can. I did that and now I don't have to worry about having things I don't want to eat anymore trying to tempt me.

;-Deb