Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 03:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/210/137
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile Blessings All!

Blessings all! I just love this support group! It has been such a help to me. I started doing Atkins on March 10th, after my 12 year old son was put on it by our doctor. Of course I had all the questions that any normal mother would concerning the safety of the program, so, on the 15th I accompanied my son to the doctor instead of my husband. After a short rebuke to my son because he only lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks because he had been cheating, the doctor said that he should have lost at least 15. Well, this got my attention since nothing I've tried for the past 18 years has really helped me to lose the weight that I put on since my first pregnancy. He explained I wouldn't lose as fast as my son but I would definitely see results. So, instead of half heartedly doing this thing, I got serious!

Well, here it is, 20 days later, 12 pounds lighter, and more energetic than I've been in a while!!! And on top of that, my son went in yesterday and found he had lost 17 pounds in 13 days!!! The doctor was estatic, not to mention my son had a huge smile on his face and we haven't heard the end of it since! He keeps reminding us of how much more he's lost compared to us! I am soooo happy for him as well as pleased with the results I'm seeing on myself! My son was ill with a stomach virus, so the doctor told him to not do Atkins for 2 days, so he's been enjoying the splurge , but I see a change in his attitude and demeanor since doing the sugar again. Cutting those things back sure has made a difference in his performance at school as well as his actions at home!

Yesterday, we celebrated the Passover at a Seder, and I couldn't resist the Matza Ball soup or the Pecan pie ....but I did cut the slice in half and eat only half of a piece! Afterwards I just prayed that the carbs wouldn't totally throw me out of ketosis. So far so good, and I have returned to the WOE that I am learning to love! Making chili tonight, I had to taste it to make sure it was seasoned right, (cooked it for my boys), but it just didn't taste as good as I remember it to! And that goes for the pecan pie as well, it was really tooooo sweet! Does this happen? I mean does your taste change after doing Atkins? Or is it because I've quit smoking as well and I can actually taste the food? Anyway.....I'm loving it, seeing results, and am committed to reaching the goals that I've set.

Until next time......Be blessed!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 13:24

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings and welcome aboard!

Am so happy to hear about the positive changes this WOE is having on both you and your son. There will be more to come.

Also glad to hear that more and more doctors are prescribing LC for their patients. That is SUCH a move in the right direction.

BTW: Going off Atkins to treat a cold usually involves more fruit and fruit juices and perhaps some bread. It should not involve a bunch of sugar. Carbs are not carbs.

Most people notice a new sensitivity to sweetness - things that were sweet before are now too sweet. And quitting smoking only exaggerates the effect for just the reason you state - you can now actually taste things to their full measure.

Keep up the good work!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 15:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Welcome, Judah!

I'm so glad to hear that you son is doing well on this WOE and that you are as well. It helps when more than one person in the family is in it with you. I've noticed the same effect with sweet things...things that I didn't consider sweet enough before I started this WOL (I have a HUGE sweet tooth) are now WAY too sweet for me and I haven't quit smoking...yet. I plan to soon. I wanted to get my eating under control before tackling THAT monster in my life. Good luck to both of you!