Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/131/120
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Unfortunately, what you can't have, you can't have

Terminal,
I have been on Dr. Atkins since July, 2001, and also took a few breaks - 2 days at Thanksgiving, 1 week at Christmas, and most recently 2 days for my b-day. I did not got absolutely crazy on any of these "breaks" (I prefer to think of them as little breaks form my permanent way of eating - which is LC), just ate regular portions at regular meals. I also went immediately back onto the induction phase. Cough drops can have from 10 - 40 carbs per drop. Right now my CCL is only 35, so one cough drop could blow my limit. Also, the beans should probably go.

Whenever I stall out for more than about 2 weeks, I reread my Dr. Atkins New Diet Rev. book. Invariably, I find where my mistake is. Invariably, I find that I have forgotten some important information. I have finally accepted that this diet WORKS - and, if I'm not losing, it's something I'm doing wrong. I'm a self-professed coffee addict, and only use heavy whipping cream in my coffee (no powdered stuff or milk), but sometimes I find I've used even too much of that. Sweetners also have a small amount of carb, which can add up if you use alot.

One more thing - try chromium picolinate for your cravings (I noticed you said you wanted some "not diet" food. I have to take the supplements occassionally, or I will go into chocolate withdrawals. Try whipping up some heavy cream and putting sweetner to taste (watch the carbs). It gets me through my rough times.

Good luck!!!!
Anna
momsbroke1~yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 05:41

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default When you're right, you're right

I loved the title of your thread. It is exactly what I have been saying to myself this last 2 weeks (I started Atkins 2 weeks ago today). I live in the north of Scotland, so have no easy access to low-carb "treats". I just told my DH I'd have to go cold turkey with stuff, or should that be "cold carbo"?

When I started on C.A.D. last May , it was great, but I found it increasingly hard to be 'sane' in my hour. When I started Atkins, it automatically cut out most of my problem foods. I decided to stop resenting it and just get on with it. What I can't have, I can't have; its a fact, and it is only a problem if I choose to let it be.

Two weeks tomorrow, my DH and I are of to America to see my mother and brother, but she is an Atkins-er and has been for years, so that will REALLY help.

I guess I just wanted to write and say how reinforcing I found your post, even though it wasn't directed to me.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 10:07
Registered Member

BF:

Beth,

I'm so glad you're getting to go visit your mom! Especially since she's been doing Atkins for awhile. The longer you are living with this style of eating, the more creative you become, which provides the variety that is NECESSARY to enjoy this WOL. Have you noticed that your appetite has decreased? That alone is such a wonderful advantage to this WOL! Also, chromium picolinate supplements have really helped me with sweet cravings (along with the recipes I have devised for cheesecake and chocolate whipping cream!!).

Good luck and enjoy your visit to your mom!

Anna
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:26

BF:
Default Atkins mother/cheesecake

It ought to help having my mother "on the wagon" as well. Star (great name, huh?) is easily led astray when it comes to food, so I will have to be the strong one (heaven help me!). Chris, my DH, is convinced I am doing the right thing, though, so he'll keep me in line I'll need all the help I can get when surrounded by the wonderful things I haven't been able to eat for 6 years because of not being over there

I take Chromium; started it on C.A.D. They recommended GTF Chromium, but it has transpired that it and Chromium Picolonate are pretty interchangeable from what I understand. I take all manner of things now: Potassium, Evening Primrose Oil, Flax Seed Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Multivitamin, Magnesium, Lysine... I'm turning into a bit of a junkie

BTW, have you posted these recipes of yours for cheesecake and chocolate whipped cream? They sound LOVELY

#5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:43
Registered Member

BF:

Beth,

It's great that you have someone so supportive! My husband first thought I was NUTS, but he now says he won't argue with success! He's also pleased that I have more energy these days.

I am at work, but will bring the recipies tomorrow, and will post them!

In another post, you mentioned that you don't have access to the low-carb foods that we do in the states. If it helps to know, I pretty much eat meats, cheese and eggs (not many of those - I, like you, am not too fond of them). My diet (as in what I eat, not the Atkins diet) has been pretty simple because of time constraints - I simply can't make them one dinner, and me another. Lots of bacon cheeseburgers, slices of roast, etc.! By the way, do you have a copy of the Atkins book? It has been worth its weight in gold to me!!

Anna
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 16:52

BF:
Default I'm nuts too!

Chris thought the same, but within a few days he began to see how much it was helping, and, of course, the weight loss. I must tell him abut you-the weight you are at is under my goal weight! That gives me great hope!

Amazingly enough, I do NOT yet have the book. I go onto the Atkins website all the time and have read a lot of what is there. My mother ordered me the book as son as she heard I had started Atkins, so I'll get my copy when I see her in 15 days' time. Bless her.

Time is something I have. My M.S. is bad enough that it keeps me from working, but if I rest a lot and look after myself, it isn't that bad a lot of the time. As soon as I start to overdo it, though, watch out! Cooking isn't a problem, except that I dont' want to give my skinny husband heart disease whie making myself well. He will insist on potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. with his protein. Silly man

I look forward to seeing your recipes, when you have the chance, of course.