Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 21:21

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 137/133/120
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default im a little discouraged

I've done Atkin's for 2 weeks now and haven't even lost 5 pounds. The 1st wk I didn't eat the salad, ate more cheese than I was allowed, ate peanut butter and also s/f jello and mayonnaise w/ my tuna, but still ate 20 carbs or less a day, plus 8-10 oz of water. This last week I've done Atkin's correctly - w/ salad, and only the allowed foods. I was hoping I would have lost more than this by now. My stomach is smaller however (my clothes are looser in the waist ). Is this just from loss of water weight? Should I do induction for one more week? Any suggestions for speeding up the loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 22:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/224/130
BF:42.1%/35.6%/21%
Progress: 30%

FairyCute:

Are you keeping track of your measurements? I seem to be losing hardly any scale weight, or at least as much as I thought I would, but I've lost a total of 17 inches in the 6 days i've been on this diet. Whatever you do, DON"T GIVE UP. Also you need to DRINK MORE WATER!!!!!! That's the secret. I drink at least a gallon a day some times more. Try to test your ketones too. You can get them at the drugstore and they're not that expensive. that's kind of an uplifter when you're down. I'm here for you if you need some coaching even though I'm new to this too. I seem to be doing a good job so far. If it were me, I'd definately do AT LEAST one more week of induction.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 22:12

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Have you had a chance to read the responses to your other question about Fat Fast? If not, please do so. They apply to this question as well.

You want to lose 17 pounds and lost 4 of it in the first two weeks. That 25%! You can't ask for more than that. Most people lose about 10% of their excess weight sometime between the end of week two and the end of the first month.

If you lose much faster than you are, you are setting yourself up for a yo-yo experience which is harmful to your health and will make it increasingly more difficult to lose weight.

Do you want to keep that 17 pounds off or not? If you do, then slow down, take a deep breath and let your body respond to a new, PERMANENT way of eating at its own pace.

In fact, you should seriously consider moving towards Lifetime Maintenance soon - after at most another 3 to 5 pounds - in order to slow the loss rate and lock in your new weight.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:00

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Fairycute

After a shaky first week, it sounds as if you are doing fine as you are. You will have read about people losing 10 or more pounds on induction, but you need to put this is proportion to how much they have to loose. As you have lost almost quarter of what you want to loose, then you are doing great.

If you do decide to do another week on induction, then so be it, but then you will need to increase the carb units so that your body prepares for its new permanent way of life.

Your clothes are fitting better, so thats a positive. As mentioned earlier, take your measurements. It is all to easy to let the scales rule your life - they have too much importance in mine - but they are only part of the story.

These things never happen as fast as we would like them and if you lost it all very very quickly then it is likely that you will put it all back on again and more even faster.

So stick with it and be pleased with what you have achieved so far.