Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 08:45

Plan: Atkins & PP
Stats: 215/195/175
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default 2 lbs from reward...do I dare?

Hi Group,

When I started LC at 215 I told myself once I hit 199 I'd reward myself. Just before starting to eat LC a friend gave me a pound box of Sees chocolates. It has been sitting in my fridge unopened for 6 weeks.

In two more pounds I'll hit 199 and I salivate at the thought of a few chocolates, I'm also worried that it will be the death of my diet. I can't quit now...I have 27 more pounds to go. Then there's maintenance!

Would love input and advice from others who have been in this same position. Was it worth rewarding yourself? or did you regret it later? Also, I've been trying to figure out how many carbs are in one cream-filled Sees chocolate. Any carb counting pros out there who know?

Thanks, Rick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 09:00

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Rick, it's just my opinion, but using food as a reward is not a good idea. LC is not just about fat loss, it is also about dealing with our feelings about food, especially if we happen to be addicted to carbs. You could be setting yourself up for cravings and establishing a pattern that will only end up sabotaging your efforts.

Why not treat yourself to a new pair of jeans? A new Cd? I like treating myself to manicures

The flipside of this argument it that you can only learn so much from others - sometimes you have to make your own mistakes. Often making mistakes is the best way to learn.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 09:02

Plan: Atkins (89)
Stats: 221/159/150 Female 66
BF:sizes:18W/ 8 /6-4
Progress: 87%

Hey Rick,
I was in a similar situationa week and a half ago. I was 1 lb away from my 190 mark (I reward myself every 10 lbs to keep motivated), and I decided that I would "allow" myself a little treat. It threw me up 3-4 lbs, set off horrible cravings and I'm just getting back to where I was with my one measily pound that probably would have been gone had I not endulged.

HTH!!!!

Melissa
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 09:09

Plan: beklow 60 carbs/day
Stats: 138/138/118
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default rewards

I agree - don't reward with food
I'm new here & probably posting in the wrong place or something plus still tring to figure out how the board works

If you can get it into your head that not eating carbs is the reward - that weight loss & feeling better is the reward - you are not giving anything up but simply improving your life
then if that doesn't work try asking yourself a few questions like
what is the worst thing that wouyld happen if I never ate another chocolate in my entire life? Would I die from it? No.... what is the worst that could happen if I ate those chocolates? possibly gain back all the weight! It would seem to me the key here is moderation. The day may come you'll get to eat sees
but not an entire box at once
You have done well so far with your weight loss
don't quit now
jmo
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 09:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

For my 25 pound mark, I decided I would "treat" myself to ice cream. Not only did it taste like crap, eating it made me feel like a complete idiot.

It was then that I understood how insidious carb addiction was. The sugar felt like poison to me. After that I realized that it was not a good idea to reward myself with food. It was a pivotal experience. Bad and good at the same time.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:21

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Rewards

My experience was just like Karens the last time I tasted icecream. I was very disappointed.

You might think this is silly, but a few weeks ago I was shopping at WallyMart and bought an Everlast tank top/sports bra. I liked it so much that I went straight back to Wall Mart and put four of them on layaway. One in each color. So there they sit.....until I reach my next mini-goal and then I can go get them as a reward.

IMO.... if you really want a chocolate then have one. All things in moderation right? Or, just have a little taste of one...AND GIVE THE REST AWAY. Personally I agree with the rest of the group. I would rather not reward myself with food.

You are doing fantastic! Congratulations.
Libby
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:26

Plan: Atkins & PP
Stats: 215/195/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

OK OK OK, instead of eating chocolates, I'll buy an avocado and go to a movie!

Seriously, thanks for the feedback. That's why I posted; I was curious to hear from those who had been there whether it was worth it or not. I REALLY appreciate the suggestion to not use food as a reward. I'm learning as I go.

Rick

P.S. Anybody want a free box of See's chocolates?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:26

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Rick.......

I have to say that having chocolates as a reward for sucessfully following a diet makes as much sense to me as rewarding quitting smoking with having a cigarette.

Personally, I've used food for a reward in the past and it's a contributor to finding myself with all of that excess weight. I've made a point of never rewarding with food anymore. It's one of the changes that I feel it's important to make if I intend to stay at my new goal weight for the rest of my life.

Just MHO.

Marlaine
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 14:59

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Don't do it

I did it over a month ago- and just came back- set me back many pounds and a months worth of losing !!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 16:11

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

I dont think we can completely deny the fact that food is used as a major part of many a celebration though, and for me while I think a visit to the hairdressers or a massage (something ive never had ) are ideas for 'treats' for myself when Ive achieved certain goals along the way, food does have a part to play too.

Thing is for me is there are certain 'legal' foods that are just as much of a 'treat' as choclate would have been but mainly because of the cost, nothing to do with there carb content eg; scallops, lobster, smoked chicken or salmon, now somethuing like that for dinner with one glass of white wine is not going to be 'naughty' but a real celebration 'treat' just the same I plan to have a 'special ' meal like that every 10 pound obliterated So far I made the beautiful cheesecake here on site and although low carb boy was it a 'treat'