Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 07:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/207/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default I am in a contest and hoping to win, how to lose more?

This is probably a crazy question but there are about 20 of us doing a Weight Loss Challenge. I have been doing Atkins since the beginning a few months ago and feel that I look great and I have lost a ton of weight.

I don't know how everyone else is doing(haven't seen anybody) Our final weigh in is on April 6th and I am hoping to win(it's almost $1000) The past couple of weeks my weight loss has slowed down but I was hoping to lose about 10 more lbs by then or at least 5 lbs. How can I lose more weight fast or at least weigh less on the scale that particular day?

By the way, I plan on continuing Atkins even after the Challenge. I am hoping to win though!
Thanks for any ideas,
Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 07:49

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi Kim, I am on your side. One thing I do, because I was eating way to often is intemittent fasting. It is defined by eating 2 times one day and eat 1 meal the next. But, what I and others do is fast for around 20 hours and eat within a 20 hour windo. During the eating window, don't be shy about eating. Eat what you want until you are full for your fast breaking meal. It should be 100% Atkins friendly food. Yesterday, I had steak, stirfried shrimp and veggies,sliced avocado, some macadamia nuts, sugarfree pudding. That was my meal when I broke my fast. I had no desire to eat again until dinner time where I had 2 pieces of fish and spinach. I had a very hard time eating my dinner. I will try and post the thread on IF and I will post something from Dr. Eades blog.

I was stalled and began gaining. Out of all the tweaks, this was the only tweak that worked. You actually try and get in as many calories as you possibly can during this time. I am happy with this. Doing this for nearly a year and I lost 15 lbs since last April. This isn't something that you can just jump into though. You have to ease yourself into it.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ittent-fasting/
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365598

Last edited by black57 : Wed, Mar-12-08 at 07:55.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 20:41

Plan: Atkins/PP blend
Stats: 163.4/157/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'm rather new to IF'ing, but I'd suggest that too. I'm working my way into it, so I'm at about 16 hours of fasting on the days that I fast, then I have usually breakfast and lunch, or lunch and a snack. I credit IF with my five lb loss in the past few weeks.

This is the current IF thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...94&page=1&pp=15
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 21:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/134.5/130 Female 164 CM
BF:
Progress: 44%

I'm on spring break and starting with IF today- I have had no caloric items since 7 PM today. The goal is to fast until Thursday (tomorrow at 6 PM)- a 23 hour fast. I definitely think this is possible. I have incredible strength and willpower.
My goal is to do IF for a full week
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 23:23

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

One thing that seems to help me is eating high carb for a day or so and then going back into induction levels. Keep drinking lots of water!

Your mileage may vary. Good luck with the contest though!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 00:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

Have you tried HIIT? Its seems the be the only "on the plan" that works for me.. Im not a fan of complete fasting or carbing up. You might wanna try a meat and egg fast too.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 07:49

BF:

IMHO I would not play around with upping carbs unless you're really stalled out- HIIT can also be dangerous if you're not working out a lot now- I think IF might be the best thing for ya. If you want, I can join you and we can have a week of IFing competition or something. Feel free to PM me.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 07:51

BF:

Our bodies are fully capable for fasting and it is surprisingly healthy.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 09:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Our bodies are fully capable for fasting and it is surprisingly healthy.

Yup. It wouldn't shut your metabolism down anyway. It's more like we know that if we eat 6 small meals a day our body is constantly working to digest something, so we ARE metabolising things. Thus, metabolism tests show a working metabolism. If there's nothing in us, there is nothing to metabolise so....it gets a break...but its not like a resting metabolism is a dead metabolism! That's not really how the breakdown of energy works.
Taubes really explains this well in his book.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 09:37

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I wouldn't do IF unless I knew it wouldn't make me panic and binge.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 12:47
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

Good luck!! Lot's of good advice here....I don't have anything new to add; let us know if you win!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 15:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legeon
I wouldn't do IF unless I knew it wouldn't make me panic and binge.

???Why would it make her panic? I mean, its not like she could never eat again...
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 16:12

Plan: LC, HF, PP
Stats: 214/188.2/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

She might panic because some people take hunger signals as STARVING signals - and others (myself among them) take any excuse to binge :-) I've been following Mama Lu's advice and easing into IF *very* gradually (if I'm really hungry, I eat). I'm down to about a six hour window and if it takes me another month to get to five, that's okay by me.

For the OP: there are lots of tricks and tweaks out there, YMMV on each one. Try not to make the contest too important - in a year from now, will it matter that you won, or might it matter more that you took the "lifestyle" route and are still on low carb and look fabulous. It's so hard - I definitely want some instant gratification (hello, onederland, yoo hoo, you out there????) but it's really the long term that counts.

Good luck!
Chris
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 17:20

Plan: currently at <50g carb/d
Stats: 208/203.1/136 Female 5ft 9.5in
BF:
Progress: 7%

I liked IFing. Another thing that can shake up your metabolism is upping your fats to 75-80% of daily calorie intake. Meat and egg fasts are also of merit. The infamous fat fast in also known to be highly efficient. All these topics have their own threads. I WOULD NOT go into calorie restriction. Starvation mode will not help you at this point in time. Plus, check out the stalls and tips section. Lots of good stuff over there. I tried carb cycling, and just plain out gained weight from it. I don't recommend it, though it apparently works for some people.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 17:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredFedUP
I liked IFing. Another thing that can shake up your metabolism is upping your fats to 75-80% of daily calorie intake. Meat and egg fasts are also of merit. The infamous fat fast in also known to be highly efficient. All these topics have their own threads. I WOULD NOT go into calorie restriction. Starvation mode will not help you at this point in time. Plus, check out the stalls and tips section. Lots of good stuff over there. I tried carb cycling, and just plain out gained weight from it. I don't recommend it, though it apparently works for some people.

I would rather pig out during my feasting window. With 3-4 meals a day, I am stricter with the amount of food that I eat. It isn't the amount that is improtant, it is the frequency. By learning to allow the feeling of hunger and prolonging it a bit can actually give your digestive tract a rest. Let it complete the job before processing more food. I think that is why i have to "go" after my break fasting meal.