Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:04

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default screwed up big time

Well, after getting on with such a good start I was introduced to the Carbolite Chocolate bars, yes, on the package they do list no sugar and "0" Carbs. I have no self control where one bar is suppose to be four servings I can eat two to three bars and never blink. It seems I am going to have to start all over. No matter what has any kind of "sweet" in it I cannot control myself. Help me out here folks, I am still low carbing and exercising three days per week. However that "DANG'' no Carb. candy. Another brand is called PURE DELITE this is real dangerous also. Thanks for listening. I really want this to work for me. Joan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/119/112
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Control the Sweet Monster

Hi Joan,

I SOOOOOOO know where you're at. Sweets (and chocolate in particular) are my one weakness. I'm always tempted and cannot seem to stop once I step over the line. Doesn't matter how full I feel.

So while reading the new 2002 Dr. Atkins book (white cover) recently, I picked up on something that I missed when I first read and started this WOL. To deal with sweet cravings, he suggests taking Chromium Picolate. I've been taking it daily and haven't felt like having a single sweet thing since I started 5 days ago---not even my SF jello with cream, which was like a nightly ritual. I feel much more in control, and hopefully will be able to stop taking this supplement once I'm well established in my new, good habits.

Perhaps this is something you could try as well?

Best wishes/Good Luck!
K.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:28

Plan: CALP
Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default That Candy

I hear you on this. Sweet IS hard to ignore.. it calls to us from everywhere. I started this WOE about a week before Valentine's day. I work at a Preschool and of course there were more treats than you could shake a stick at! I decided that since I could have a carb treat at my one meal a day (I'm doing CALP) that I could certainly muster enough willpower to not pick up one bit of brownies, candy, cupcakes.. oh my..

Right after I decided that.. in walked 2 of my co-workers and snatched up 2 brownies. As they passed back through the office (only seconds later) they snatched up 2 more and a few Hershey Kisses too! I realized that just a few days ago.. that would have been me! I watched and watched and slowly but surely it all disappeared within 2 hours. I work with 15 other women and all but 2 of us did not eat any of the treats. (The other gal is on a strict low fat regime and would NEVER touch a sweet)

Muster all the willpower you have and go for it!

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:58

BF:

Kristin, Thank you for the reply. I do have a question(actually two) Do you get this Chromium Picolate at the health food store and how many miligrams per day do you take?? I know I need some help here this ''sweet'' thing is really my downfall. joan
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 19:02

BF:

Lisa, so glad to know you were able to stay away from the goodies. It does seem when you work with a lot of women we do have lots of "sweets" on hand. Where I exercise this Sunday we ladies that are doing Low Carb. are having a pot luck, all dishes have to be low carb or no carb, this should be interesting. I know carbs and sugar set me off. Thank you so much for your reply. This forum and confession booth is a wonderful help. joan
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 19:04

BF:

Kristin, another question you spoke of the new 2002, white cover Dr. Atkins book. I did not know there was a new one out. The one I have has a blue cover and called "THE NEW DIET REVOLUTION''. Tell me more if you can. Thanks in advance Joan
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 19:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default L-glutamine for sugar cravings!

Hi Joan,

His new book is still called Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution. It's a white cover and across the top it says "Completely Updated! The Must-Have NEW Edition". It has a copyright of 1992,, 1999, and 2002. Hopefully that helps!

And, oh, I got it backwards. I am taking the chromium to "build muscle, decrease body fat, and lower cholesterol." What I'm taking for the sugar cravings is ***L-glutamine***. Dr. A (p. 308) says to take 500-1000 mg of L-glutamine before meals and /or when cravings are the greatest. I take 500mg at lunch and 500 mg at dinner (evenings are when I struggle). I got it in the health food section at a local grocery store.

Regards,
K.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 06:55

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

hi joan.

Yeah, artificial sugars are a problem for (I think) most of us. They probably trigger an insulin surge; they may also keep in place the brain chemistry/emotional patterns that had us eating sugar for comfort for so long...so if you can stay away from them 100%, it'd be better. (and probably better for you in other ways, too...none of these chemicals can be good for us!)

The good news is that the more you stay away from fake sugar, the sweeter and sweeter veggies will taste to you. For a "dessert," think about a slice of really good cheese and some high-quality olives. I find this truly satisfying.

I've been taking chromium pic--which I get at my local grocery's health food aisle--but others take GTF chromium. And kristin is right--L-glutamine (between meals) can really help with cravings.

You've learned something important this week--and that's wonderful. Pat yourself on the back for that and your commitment to keep moving forward.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 07:26

BF:

Kristin & Razzle, such great information. After exercise class this morning I am heading for the health food store. Kristin, I also, just this morning read about the L-glutamine. Dr Atkins also speaks of taking a really good multi-vitamine, I take the vitiamine Centrium silver, but I am wondering if this is the right vitiamine for me. Do you all take a Multi-vitiamine also. Razzle, yes I have learned a very valuable lesson this week. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. joan
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 11:06
Registered Member

BF:
Default Multi-vitamins and EFA

Hi Joan,

Yes, I'm quite a pill-popper!

I took the Atkins Basic 3 while I was losing and switched to a less expensive, generic multi-vitamin once I hit my target weight. I also take either the Atkins Essential Oils or sometimes a less expensive, generic EFA. Then I take biotin (to address my hair loss), L-glutamine, and chromium picolate.

I keep a "stash" both at home and at the office so that I'm never without!

As Razzle said, and what has been one of my recent revelations, is that we sugar fiends need to break through that addiction/habit and replace it with something healthy. Low-carb substitutes will bite back---either by slowing us down or tipping us into a binge of legal or illegal foods. Funny, a couple nights ago I did have a couple slices of cheese as an evening treat---it was great! I think I'll do olives next time the mood strikes--yummy!

Best regards,
K.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 11:28

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hey Joan.

I take centrum multivitamin on a regular basis, though don't think it's the centrum silver. I always take 250 to 500 mg. of vitamin C, too. Sometimes I take two centrums. Look for chromium, selenium, mannesium, phosphorus. Mine has around 25% RDA of many of these, and 11% RDA of phosphorus. This means I could actually be in need of more of these. But, as of yet it has not been evident, and I have not changed my ways.

Take a look at your meal selections, as you might be getting alot of the needed vitamins from your food, enough to not require any large amount of supplement if any. Try picking a couple vitamin names and running a search on the internet to discover natural sources of it.

For example, selenium. I found a note in a bulletin board on Thyroid stating its usefulness in aiding production of T3, and another statement -"If you eat two or three Brazil nuts a day, you will get all the selenium that you need. I have been doing this for the past year." Since I love nuts, in addition to general eating, I would definitely rather go this route.

Good luck.

Last edited by LCer in NW : Fri, Mar-01-02 at 11:39.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 21:21

Plan: adkins
Stats: 283/258/180
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hello everyone,

I can't believe how much better I feel when I don't cheat. I can actually keep up with my overactive two year old . However, I too have the sweet problem.

I guess it's back to induction for me. I got to the point where I thought just part of a cookie wouldn't hurt....WRONG!! #~%# those Girl Scout cookies!!!

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!

Get'nthin
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 17:43

BF:

It's me again gang. I wanted to get back to y'all about a product one of the clerks at our health food store recommended, it is called ''SUGAR CONTROL'' it is put out by Nature's Plus this supplement contains 500mcg. of chromium polynicotinate, 250mg of l-glutamine, 250mg L-Alanine (free form amino acid) and 400 mg of something called Rehmannia glutinosa root the clerk at the health food store did not know what this ingredient was and I have e-mailed Nature's Plus with the question after I could not find an answer on the internet. So what do you think is this a product I should use for sugar cravings also how long will it be before the cravings demise?? The other thing I have done was I put all the carbolite bars and Pure delite bars I had in the garbage disposal. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. I do want this to be my last "DIET'', I want this to be my new WOL. joan
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 20:27

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

way to go, joan! throwing stuff out that we just bought can be so hard...but you just did it! I'm proud of you

the supplement sounds ideal ... tho I haven't heard of the herb, usually they are pretty benign, if not helpful. (Looked it up there--interesting stuff. traditional chinese herb, said to improve liver function. people are taking it for menopause, anemia, and MS.)

Sugar-free, fake-sugar free, taking supplements, probably only 3 days til the end of cravings, 4 at the most.

However, if you DO still have them after that, you need to start suspecting hidden sugars in some food you have regularly or that you have a food sensitivity to a legal food. I knew a woman who finally nailed hers down as pork, of all things. Dairy can be a problem for some people (the darker your skin, in general, the more likely you're dairy intolerant).

You're doing just what you need to to succeed--working the way of eating, learning, moving forward. yay!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 23:45
Registered Member

Plan: Carbo Addicts modified
Stats: 199/185/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

I really enjoy reading all the info on what's available on the market for these problems. I've started a list of things to pick up on my next visit home to the USA. Too bad this country restricts what comes in and out so much! They haven't caught on yet that food supplements aren't DRUGS so I am very limited on what they will allow me to ship in. One of the benefits of life over is that a lot of the goodies you guys face every time you go to the grocery store just aren't available here. The downside is that the culture doesn't find weight a problem, thin is considered sickly. That sure helped with my denial!

At the end of the day I come back to the same message loud and clear, I am just as much an addict when it comes to sugar as an alcoholic is with a drink. Thanks for being here everyone, it helps me not to feel so isolated on the other side of the world.